Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Evermont

Infant formula can cause T1 !?!?

Evermont

New Insights On Link Between Early Consumption Of Cows' Milk And Type-1 Diabetes

ScienceDaily (May 7, 2008) — Researchers in Maine report a new explanation for the mysterious link between consumption of cows' milk protein in infant formula early in life and an increased risk of later developing Type-1 diabetes. A protein in cow's milk that triggers an unusual immune response appears to be the main culprit, they say... (link)

notme

I actually heard about this possible link a few years ago Keith. I often wondered about it. I was a very big milk drinker as a kid and young adult. I am the first type one in my family. Lucky me.......

Keezheekoni

We were talking about this yesterday when a member's wife was having a hard time pumping because of working in an OR.

I was never on formula as a child...long line of midwives and hippie-chicks in my family. :) However, I did start drinking regular cow's milk after I was a year old. (I think I was almost 2 when my mom weaned me.) So I had it in breakfast cereal and oatmeal.

I'm the only T1 in my family, that I know of. Everyone else on my dad's side is T2 though...

notme

That is the same with my family Rikki. My grandmother was type two, but my mother is not.

I was a formula baby from day one. Then on to milk and my parents should have bought a cow. I always drank milk when I was thirsty. I often wonder if that had anything to do with Diabetes later in life.

Tinki

I heard this a few years ago also. They said that after age 2 it is ok for children to drink milk. If I'm lucky to get blessed with kids I'm keeping them off cows milk for the first 2 yrs.

Janlaton

MOther nursed each of us to 18 months and then we were only given milk in cereal until age 3. Until we were grown we only drank home grown and home pastureized milk. Did not know you could get it at the store. Another walk down memory lane!:D I wonder if it is all milk or if it is all the chemicals now used in processing milk and in feeding dairy cattle?

johns8818

Interesting post dude….Forums are always helpful in one way or the other, anyways. Thanks for giving out information. It’s really nice and mean full.

jeanlee411
I heard this a few years ago also. They said that after age 2 it is ok for children to drink milk. If I'm lucky to get blessed with kids I'm keeping them off cows milk for the first 2 yrs.

MOther nursed each of us to 18 months and then we were only given milk in cereal until age 3. Until we were grown we only drank home grown and home pastureized milk. Did not know you could get it at the store. Another walk down memory lane! I wonder if it is all milk or if it is all the chemicals now used in processing milk and in feeding dairy cattle?

Aldous11

Iodine is an essential nutrient in the human diet. Its primary role is expressed as a component of thyroxine (T4) and the corresponding deiodinated triiodothyronine (T3) hormones produced by the thyroid as part of the system that regulates growth, mental development and metabolism.

charlote22

I agree with you and also heard about that.

ant hill

I am a firm believer in naturally feeding the baby wherever possible as formula costs you money. Your chest is free!! :D:o But that me as I am male. :confused:

With the disease that we have, Brest milk may have something that formula has not. We have an immune problem!!

Weather this is relervent or not, Have a read of this. Breast is best, but don't ditch the back-up

aiah23

I was breast fed until 18 months and I'm the only type 1 in my family. I believe there are other, strong factors contributing to the development of type 1. And I too agree that breast is best for feeding infants but understand that this isn't always possible for a variety of reasons (adoption being just one of those).

Fawn

HFHW

If cows milk is not good for a child up to age 2, why is ok after? We stop producing lactose, the enzyme that breaks down lactose, a milk sugar, after the age of 3.

Pasteurized cows milk not healthy for anybody! I drank cows milk and gave my daughter cows milk after breastfeeding, so not judging... I don't anymore, but I have since found that milk does not build strong bones, but leaches calcium from them which is one reason why Americans have one of the highest rates of osteoporosis! I could go on about the mistruths we were raised to believe, but I will leave that research to you and anybody else that wants learn the truth that visits this forum.

Peace to all in your search for health for yourselves and your children.

HFHW

Processing kills the life in food, inculding milk. The **** they add just makes it worse. I wanted to share this with you cause I noticed you are a grandma of 4. My grandpa was on 18 units of insulin a day and ate ALL raw foods for 2 weeks and high raw for 2 more months and is now insulin free! It's not a miracle, he chose life! He chose to not eat processed foods!

Dead food = Dead cells = sick people

Living food = Living cells = healthy people

CHOOSE LIFE!

aiah23
If cows milk is not good for a child up to age 2, why is ok after? We stop producing lactose, the enzyme that breaks down lactose, a milk sugar, after the age of 3.

Pasteurized cows milk not healthy for anybody! I drank cows milk and gave my daughter cows milk after breastfeeding, so not judging... I don't anymore, but I have since found that milk does not build strong bones, but leaches calcium from them which is one reason why Americans have one of the highest rates of osteoporosis! I could go on about the mistruths we were raised to believe, but I will leave that research to you and anybody else that wants learn the truth that visits this forum.

Peace to all in your search for health for yourselves and your children.

I think you meant to say we stop producing lactase, not lactose. If that were the case, as you state, then everyone would be lactose intolerant past the age of 3 without supplemental enzymes. Would you be so kind as to point us in the direction of references for your statements? I'm curious where they're coming from. I'm also curious what component of milk you believe leaches calcium from the body as your statement is the first time I've heard that in years of bio and biochem-based research. Thanks so much!

Fawn

ant hill

I have found some more about the difficulties of breast feeding and I found this interesting as supply is the main problem. Rikki, You would understand this as being a hippie chick has it's understanding towards natural benefits.

AngelKitty

Interesting theory.

My siblings and I were all breastfed (7 of us) and two of us are type 1 diabetics and the others all have some type of auto-immune problem.

My husband was not breadstfed (his mother was unable) nor were his other two siblings - they are all healthy as - no issues whatsoever.

So there goes that theory!

Jan B

AK, it doesn't match up at all in my family either. I know breast milk is a whole lot healthier than cow's milk for sure. Ewww, I just had this vision of this woman who supposedly breastfed her kid until he was around 6 years old. Maybe length of time is our problem.:eek:

AngelKitty
AK, it doesn't match up at all in my family either. I know breast milk is a whole lot healthier than cow's milk for sure. Ewww, I just had this vision of this woman who supposedly breastfed her kid until he was around 6 years old. Maybe length of time is our problem.:eek:

I agree that breastfeeding is best (natural).

However, there are people that really need to "back off" with their opinions especially where mothers choose not to breastfeed (our mothers group calls them breastfeeding natzis!)

I have done both types of feeding with my children (severe mastitis killed my breastfeeding dreams).

There are always reasons for people's decisions and at the end of the day nobody has the right to impose their opinions on what you do with your body.

I also agree that if your child is old enough to eat steak it should not be hanging off a breast! (I too find something fundamentally wrong with this mental image!)

ZoraP

Passing judgment like that on women who choose to nurse their children beyond infancy is behaving just as badly as the people you think are too pushy. (And, by the way, the term "breastfeeding Nazi" is deeply offensive to pretty much everyone involved if you think about it -- it degrades the suffering of real victims of real Nazis as well as portraying women who are good mothers in a completely outrageous and fictitious light. So stop using it.)

The scientific facts of breastfeeding are the following:

1. Human milk is the food babies are meant to consume.

2. Today's formulas do a pretty good job of substituting for human milk if is not available to the baby for whatever reason.

3. Human infants are meant to gradually transition from an all-milk diet to an all-solid food diet. The period of time for this to take place is anywhere from 2 to 7 years, depending on what anthropological research you use to try to figure it out. Probably it has varied a lot throughout time because of various cultural norms and food practices.

4. Breastfeeding is what the mothers' body is meant to do, and it is good for her health as well as the baby's.

So the take-home message is this: we should encourage all mothers to breastfeed their infants from the start, and invest more effort in early intervention and teaching in order to increase success rates in establishing lactation. Mothers should also be encouraged to continue providing nursing opportunities even if/when the child starts taking formula or solid meals. Weaning is a process, not an event. We should not beat up mothers that do not breastfeed their infants for whatever reason (remember, formula is a "good-enough" substitute). And we should not beat up mothers that choose to breastfeed their children beyond the age that we ourselves find acceptable.

Here's an irony for you: my oldest daughter didn't complete her weaning process until age 4. (In case you're wondering, of course she ate normal food by then; she just came around once in a while for a quick cuddle and pick-me-up with Mom.) I heard an earful from several people about how that was "wrong." But did anyone EVER tell me that I shouldn't give her candy or other junk food? Heavens, no. I actually had to stop people from giving her enormous baskets of candy for any and every "special" occasion. (She didn't even like it.) Now I'd like you to tell me which is worse for a young child (and more likely to cause diabetes): eating loads of candy, or nursing 5 minutes a day? The choice ought to be crystal clear, but obviously in our culture we value refined sugar over real food and real relationships.

ellyka112
I am a firm believer in naturally feeding the baby wherever possible as formula costs you money. Your chest is free!! :D:o But that me as I am male. :confused:

With the disease that we have, Brest milk may have something that formula has not. We have an immune problem!!

Weather this is relervent or not, Have a read of this. Breast is best, but don't ditch the back-up

I was breast fed until 18 months and I'm the only type 1 in my family. I believe there are other, strong factors contributing to the development of type 1. And I too agree that breast is best for feeding infants but understand that this isn't always possible for a variety of reasons (adoption being just one of those).

Ps3 download

ps3 modchip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.