Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeusXM

Acronyms

Scout

The Americans use a different scale than the rest of the world. Divide their numbers by 18 or times your number by 18. i.e.

U.S. 150 = 8.33

Everyone else 6.4 = 115 U.S.

Gigem99
The Americans use a different scale than the rest of the world. Divide their numbers by 18 or times your number by 18. i.e.

U.S. 150 = 8.33

Everyone else 6.4 = 115 U.S.

If you don't feel like doing the arithmetic, you can use this conversion chart: Diabetes chart

To obfuscate matters more: in the U.S., BG's are usually measured in mg/dl (milligrams per deciliter), and elsewhere, they are measured in mmol/L (millimoles per Liter).

I'm fairly certain my meter (OneTouch Ultrasmart) can be set up to display either measurement.

Tom

micks

Micks,

Thanks for the info people. It's a little bit hard when you are new to the system. I'll write the figures down & then do the sums.

Thanks again.

micks.

micks

For Gigem99, I'm sorry, but I was going through the thread in a hurry & didn't even realise that you had put a link in for the diabetes chart. On reading again today I noticed it & it is a great way for me to keep track of what other people are saying. That'll teach me not to rush through important things.

micks.

Bestjetsfan
Yep . . . sometimes extended to IMHO (humble opinion)
Or, for those of us with a law degree, IMNSHO - In My Not So Humble Opinion. Sometimes wrong but never in doubt.

We need more abbreviations. On my Wine Bulletin Board, this thread has hundreds of entries. You start with DRC - wine from Burgundy that not too many people can afford, and you work down from there.

Mike M
Oh yeah - and FBG is Fasting Blood Glucose. But I can't seem to figure out how long need to F to get an FBG.

I believe usually refers to after going to bed until getting up. (Unless you eat in your sleep, then don't have a clue! :) )

Mike M
Oh yeah - and FBG is Fasting Blood Glucose. But I can't seem to figure out how long need to F to get an FBG.

Since we have FBG propose BBG and ABG for before and after meals respectively. With possible modifier of BBGE and ABGE adding after exercise. :)

Hammer

You'll get many different responses to this, but I feel that not eating anything for at least 4 hours is a good fasting time period. While a lot of people feel that your morning wake up BG levels are a good indication of your fasting BG level, I don't think it is because of dawn phenomenon. Since DP can affect your morning wake up BG levels, I prefer to see what my BG is after I haven't eaten for at least 4 hours during the day. By waiting at least 4 hours after a meal, I know that there is no dawn phenomenon to worry about.

PATRIC

this has been a great help....cleared up a lot ....now if I can remeber all of them !!

Be nice if there was simple list somewhere to reference with out having to scroll thru all this to find one particular term .

Am i missing that list somewhere on this site ???

chadha

LTDC - Long Term Diabetes Complication.

PP - Post Prandial

ISF - Insulin Sensitivity factor

Diabetes Burnout - A state where you grow tired of managing your diabetes.

MsMarginalized

PSA-medical test for Prostate specific antigen

OR

PSA-public service announcement (those awful STOP SMOKING commercials where the people lost their voice/voicebox or a limb or 2) here on Df it's used whenever someone has some information they'd like to share (maybe NEW or GROUNDBREAKING?)

Hammer

To help people understand an acronym that I might use in a post, I always try to include what the acronym stands for. For example, "Most people find they have DP (Dawn Phenomenon) when they check their morning wakeup BG (blood glucose) levels. I think this helps anyone reading the post know what is being said. Once I've spelled out the acronym in the post, any other times I use that term in that same post, I'll just use the acronym.

Rbubbaray

It is it can mean both  , I did social evaluation work for Facebook and gaming channels etc .but most of the ones i used is for gaming channels , because its live chat , like brb = be right back . Afk = away from  keyboard , plus when playing we use them because we may not have the time to type much . but in forums I do not use them as much . ttyl everyone { talk to you later } lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.