Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

muddy

LOW CARB No Sugar ICE cream recipe?

muddy

I guess it would be no added sugar but with Splenda or some other sweetner. Does anyone have a recipe for chocolate ice cream -- Low carb?

Jamison

It is quite hard to MAKE ice cream. Breyer's makes a pretty good kind that you can pick up at your supermarket. :)

4 net carbs a serving.

mzteacher

hi,

actually i think it is really easy to make ice cream...and the taste is so much better...in my opinion....i will look for a chocolate one i have liked....vanilla is super easy...i have an ice cream maker that self freezes...it is very cool...they have come down in price though still a deluxe item.... a donvier ice cream maker works terrific...only you have to plan ahead and freeze the container...but super easy to use.....and the results are wonderful! i have tried splenda and it tasted great.....it isn't the best for freezing as it freezes pretty hard....some one mentioned on here an agave sweetened ice cream i googled it and here it is...i have not tried it yet but i did buy the ingredients...i will post the one i have tried soon...

susan

oops i accidentally deleated it...when trying to copy from my desk top...back to the drawing board...but do try making it!!! the vanilla one is just 2 c half and half, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 c. splenda...mix and freeze...well search for chocolate!

muddy

THANKs. Will try the vanilla this weekend for Memorial day.

I live in a rural area with one supermarket and it is very lacking on stocking sugar free items.

jackmcmanus21

I have an ice cream maker and I've never used it. Do you need a special mix or just run of the mill ingredients?

mzteacher

hi muddy,

here is the ice cream recipe have used and liked though i have not tried it with splenda yet ( i did try the vanilla and it tasted great!)...

chocolate ice cream

mix:

2 egg yolks

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 cup pwdered sugar (instead use splenda you may want to put it in the blender to make it finer like powedered sugar)

then add

2 cup whipping cream

1 1/2 cup milk

mix then add

1 TBS vanilla

then freeze

i like it because you don't have to cook the custard first...it is quick and easy and i think it tastes good! i like chocolate things made with the flavor of cocoa..

let me know how you like it! enjoy your weekend making ice cream!!

susan

mzteacher

hi jack,

what kind do you have? no, you do not need special ingredients....using fresh cream or half and half gives a real natural fresh tasting ice cream...in my opinion....the ready made can't compare....i would think the mixes have preservatives and such you don't really need....honest it is soooo easy....and turns out great every time...with half and half sweetner and vanilla how could it taste bad??? using the automatic built in freezer kin and the donvier never had a bad batch...for people with out an ice cream maker in my class we double freezer bagged the ice cream ingredients....then put in another freezer bag filled with rock salt and ice....then taped newspaper around it and the kids toss it until it becomes ice cream.....you may have to rewrap while tossing but it is fun and easy and the results taste the same!!

so i say go for it...pull out that unused ice cream maker!!!!

share you results!!

susan

Nita

I have a small Cuisinart ice cream electric maker and have created my own recipe. The only thing is I have used sugar and I guess the same amount of Splenda would work.

One can of Carnation or Pet evaporated milk. (Do not add any water to this.

One cup of skim milk

1 or 2 tsps. vanilla (or almond flavoring if you use peaches)

2/3 cup of your choice of sweetener (Sugar or Splenda)

2 ripe bananas

1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Stir and pour into freezer container that has been set in the base with the paddle and put on cover and turn on for 25 mins. Delicious!

Sometimes I use mashed peaches with almond flavoring and sometimes I use mashed blackberries (my second favorite)

I have not made chocolate yet but will soon with cocoa powder. Serve immediately. Since it is whipped it is a soft creamy ice cream but will turn harder and icier if put in the freezer.

Nita

EllieK

I had some great 'Health nut' (sorry, northwest joke) icecream that is actually no dairy,low carb, no sugar. It's based on coconut milk. It gives a great creamy texture but less carb and great for those who have problems with milk.

Watch the agave, some people do great but it shoots my bg sky high, worse than honey and regular sugar.

Does stevia work in ice cream?

Larry H.

Nita,

I tried your recipe only I used the Hoods low carb milk instead of the skim.. It was wonderful. It would have less fat had I used the kind you did, but I knew the hoods had about 8 carbs less per cup so I thought I would try it. I could tell it added a lot of smooth taste too it. I shouldn't probably be using the hoods either for the fat content isn't good for me either.. But I figure if I can get ice cream at a fairly low carb I will eat a few grams of fat.

I think if a person didn't make banana the carbs per serving for say vanilla would be very low.. Not sure about the coco powder, but its not just too high in carbs either compared to banana.. But it sure was good..

mzteacher

hi larry,

i had thought i read that you could not freeze hood milk products...if you can than that is terrific!! thanks for sharing

susan

ikfsohk

you can made it by yourself ...

To do that you seem to need a ice cream maker , but which size or quart of ice cream machine you want ?

you can read reviews & compare between all brands and all size ( 1.5 to 6 quart , any brand )

from amazon.com at these links .

cuisinart 1.5 quart ice cream maker shop - cuisinart 1.5 quart ice cream maker

hamilton beach 68220 1.5 qt ice cream maker shop - hamilton beach 68220 1.5 quart ice cream maker

rival 4 quart ice cream maker shop - rival 4 quart ice cream maker

rival 5 quart ice cream maker shop - rival 5 quart ice cream maker shop

rival 6 quart ice cream maker shop - rival 6 quart ice cream maker

these are bestseller brands . Take a visit . I think it can help U .

Larry H.

I don't know that new refrigerators are as successful at it, but when I had a few old refrigerators with ice cube trays that go in the smaller freezer I used to make ice cream using the recipes the refrigerator companies put out for using the ice tray. You let it freeze to a mush then beat it with a whipper in a cold bowl then return it to the tray and repeat it a few times. Its not like a freezer but it does work.

However when I tried some low fat items in a new refrigerator freezer the results were not as reliable. It didn't want to freeze it like the old ones did for some reason. I think the old ones had a metal bottom which was really cold and the new ones are plastic for the most part, the contact of cold isn't quite the same, but it might be worth a try.. The recipes for homemade refrigerator tray ice creams usually vary a bit from the freezer kind and picking up an old booklet from a refrigerator is the best bet, then modify to meet our needs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.