Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

prestina

Interested in becoming pregant

Aurora96

Hello Prestina!

I had a child when I was 37 and considered pre-diabetic. My blood sugars were closely watched and I went on insulin for part of the pregnancy. (I suppose that means I had gestational diabetes. The control they strive for during pregnancy is MUCH stricter than day to day.) My daughter had mild shoulder dystocia when she was born (a concern with the children of diabetic moms) but she suffered no ill effects from it. It was a bit of a tense moment in the delivery, though!

I did have to have medical intervention to get pregnant, however. I think the years of insulin resistance really effected my ovulation. I didn't have regular periods until a doctor put me on metformin (ostensibly to regulate my cycles, which it did like a CHARM!) and even then I needed a bit of clomid to get things moving. The good news is that we conceived on my very first cycle of clomid.

I recommend that you get an appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist. I have a great one in Richmond, Virginia if you are anywhere near there!

Good luck!

jackmcmanus21

well first off i wish you luck. There are many docs and sex psychologists out there that help with these kind of issues

birdyland

Make sure to work with your endo and get set up with an OB/GYN that specializes in Diabetics; so they can help you and watch you closely. They will want your A1c less that 6.2 to minimize risks to both you and child.

They will also want you on medicines that you will be able to continue to take during pregnancy. And will start you on a prenatal.

What are your current medications and lab results?

'They' say it can take a normal couple up to a year to conceive, how long have you been trying? Have you consulted a Dr?

Aurora96
I've heard it take 2 to tango. Maybe you both need to be checked out.

A reproductive endo will run tests on both parties to find out where the issue lies. My husband had to do... the test :eek: and that was really interesting. We found that we had a slight issue on his side (slow swimmers) in addition to my issues.

jacobsam622
I am wondering if I can have a child, it seems as if all I try but nothing happens.

Prestina

Go on a cruise. My wife and I tried for 3 years before hitting pay dirt. We went on a cruise with stops in Belize, Cozumel, Ruatan. Grand cayman. My wife had just turned 39 which more than likely contributed to having Identical twins. The reason we were able to conceive at sea is because the lack of stress. The more you try and fail the more stressed you become and the harder it is to conceive. Good luck and remember to have fun.;) Then if its still not working see a DR. My bg was over 500 when my wife conceived.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.