Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ellie's mommy

this is new and scary

Ellie's mommy

Hi, all. My 12-month-old was just diagnosed with diabetes two weeks ago. I took her to the ER thinking she had a bad case of the flu, and maybe asthma. They finally figured out she was in diabetic ketoacidosis, and airlifted her to a children's hospital where she spent several days in the ICU. We're home now, and trying to stay calm and positive as we figure all of this out. Her blood sugar numbers seem to be all over the place, and lately, she has been having some lows that seem to be random and are scaring me. When your children were first diagnosed, how long did it take for their numbers to stabilize so you could see patterns and feel confident that you weren't going to put them to bed and have them bottom out in their sleep?

Thanks for your help. :confused:

princesslinda

Welcome Ellie's mom! Glad you found the forums. I can't help with your question, but i'm sure others will be along soon with advice. We have several here who were diagnosed at a very young age. I'm sure this is extremely stressful for you and your family....you've found a great place for advice and support!

Tattoo azz

Hi Ellies mom

Test, Test, Test. That's the only real way of knowing what your childs levels are. I'm afraid that you may have to get up every 3-4 hours during the night to test her, that's what my mum did when i was newly diagnosed. Don't worry too much about disturbing her sleep, it's what you have to do and she will soon get used to it, i got so used to it i rarely woke up!

She will also be in her honeymoon stage where the pancreas still produces small amounts of insulin, no one knows how long this lasts for but, it's usually just a few months, sometimes even weeks. This is probably what is causing your daughters unexpected lows. I know it must seem like torture to keep pricking your little girl but it is the only way.

Take care

Azz

HollyB

Hi Ellie's mom,

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby's diagnosis. Two weeks is early days yet -- they'll have to gradually bring her levels down, and there will be ups and downs before things settle into a pattern. It's difficult with such a young child, as she can't tell you how she's feeling and is probably very sensitive to tiny doses of insulin -- plus it's almost impossible to talk a baby into eating if she doesn't want to! Then, since kids are always growing, things will change fairly regularly -- you'll become an expert at adjusting insulin doses! But for now just go a step at a time.

I wanted to say, too -- this is a great forum, but if you want to meet lots of parents with little kids, try out childrenwithdiabetes.com. You'll get a very warm welcome -- there are parents of toddlers, parents whose kids were just diagnosed, and some very experienced "old hands."

Janlaton

Hi Ellie's Mom, My prayers are with you and your baby girl. Like princess I have not had this particular problem but it hurts my heart to hear of this news.

Be strong, test, keep accurate records of her test #s and her foods. Be sure the doc gets this information on a regular basis. This is all I can say. I did raise a son who is still hypoglycemic as are both his sons. So I have a small idea of raising a child with some blood sugar problems. One thing I will say is be sure she eats on schedule and takes her meds as directed. Also be sure she gets plenty of fluids!

Keep in touch,:frown:

Janlaton

kansas

Welcome to the forums! I've never been a mom having to take care of a young child with diabetes, but one of my best friends had a child diagnosed at 13 months.

Like has been mentioned before, test, and test again. As your child grows, her needs will change quickly. Find an endocrinologist that you feel comfortable with and one that is (or has nurses) available 24 hours a day. Babies can't tell you how they feel so you'll need to work very closely with your endocrinologist.

I was diagnosed at age 17, but I can tell you that my mother checked on me every night while I was sleeping. If we were still under the same roof, I guarantee she would still make sure I was ok during the night. This fear of yours will probably never go away - but it also allows you to stay better aware of and more focused on your childs diabetes.

Also, if you have any questions - we're here to try and help! Welcome to the forums!

Alice

Welcome! Although not diagnosed as a baby, I was diagnosed very quickly at age seven. I have never looked back! You baby will grow to become a "pro" at the management at this disease...I've always thought the earlier diagnosed, the easier it is to adapt to this crazy lifestyle.

So many new things have been developed since I was diagnosed and you will benefit greatly...I'm sure you will be pumping soon and that will make life much easier for a child. Until that day arrives, you will learn that each day is different, but starts to even out a little.

I'm sure you have now sought out a pediatric endocrinologist. They specialize in young cases such as yours and will be better equipped to provide specialized support for babies.

I know I've read earlier posts from other parents of D babies...so I'm sure more people will be jumping in with support. Your baby will be fine...and you will be as well.

But right now, those meters are your best friend!

ejosh1438

My daughter was diagnosed in December and her sugar is still sometimes all over the place but recently it's been at a good level :) Give it time, i was scared too..

kel4han

My goodness, I'm so heart broken for you. My daughter was diagnosed at age 6 about 2 years ago. We still check her every-single-night. Usually at Midnight and 3 am. Although you may have things "stabilized" it seems, they never stay the same for long since children are constantly growing and changing. It took me at least a year to feel comfortable in managing her Diabetes, and I even have Type 1 myself. Endo's will tell you there is no need to check your child at night after a certain "stability" is found, but most parents will tell you that could be a dangerous path for a young child. I will always check at night, until there is a cure.

You need parent support. Another great website is children with DIABETES Online Community . Keep learning everything there is to know and you will do great. There is a mom at the above website that had a daughter dx at age 9 months. She could really help you alot. I hope to see you there soon.

RobiJo

Welcome to DF. Best wishes to you!

I was diagnosed at age 2 and my parents kept good tabs on me when I was young. One thing you might try if no one told you this yet... my parents tested my bg on my toes not my fingers. I had more meat there and said it was easier to get a sample.

Lizzie G
Welcome to DF. Best wishes to you!

I was diagnosed at age 2 and my parents kept good tabs on me when I was young. One thing you might try if no one told you this yet... my parents tested my bg on my toes not my fingers. I had more meat there and said it was easier to get a sample.

Hi RobiJo I just read your post - can adults test on toes also? I havent tried alternative sites but my fingers are such a mess i would like to try it out is possible!

IrishBill

Hi Ellies Mom. Sorry to hear the news, but hey, it aint all bad. It coulda been somethin alot worse.:) Anyhoo, I was diagnosed at 4yrs old and I wont lie to you, my mum found it tough. This was back in the stone age (1980 to be exact!) and technology has come a long way since then. Regular glucose tests will eventually show a pattern to your kids levels and hopefully things will et easier over time. Making screwups every now and then will happen but life goes on and she'll be no different to other kids as she gets older. Been there, done that as they say. Good luck.

Ellie's mommy

Thank you all for your messages. We have a couple months' experience now, and we've learned so much. Ellie is doing well, although I have to say... diabetes sucks. Let's pray for a cure.

Jan B

God bless you and Ellie,

It's good to see you came back to report that you are learning . . . feel free to tell about things you have been through. I know it must be very emotional for a mom. Wishing and praying for a cure.

CarrieB

I can't offer any practical help specific to such a young babe, but one suggestion that might make your life just a little bit easier - get a BG monitor that uploads to a computer.

I find detecting trends much looking at charts than I do a series of read outs from the monitor itself.

Sorry I can't offer any more help.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.