Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mortis505

Cholesterol meds

mortis505

Got a call from my Dr's office yesterday, my LDL was high and they want me to start taking a med for it. Anyone know anything about Colestid/Colestipol? Ive' got 2 boxes of this powder mix stuff and I would like to know of any experiences anyone has had with it.

I was on Crestor before and it made me nauseas and very achy so i stopped taking it.

notme

Gosh Mort, I can't be any help with those meds. I have taken Lipitor and came off of it for the same reasons you stopped the Crestor. I am still in the process of deciding what to do about my cholesterol.

gettingby

Can't help you with the powdered stuff. My endo started me on Simvastatin about 3 months ago. We shall see in July how/if it has helped.

Coppernob

Hi Mort,

I don't know that medication at all. Like Cin, I take Simvastatin (generic form of Zocor, I believe) and it has never affected me in a negative way. I have been on it for several years now as a preventative measure and my numbers with respect to total cholesterol, LDL and HDL remain good.

Good luck - I hope this medication has only positive results for you.

BlueSky
... Anyone know anything about Colestid/Colestipol? ...

It is what they call a "cholesterol sequestrant". There are two ways of reducing cholesterol levels. One is to take statins, which reduce production of cholesterol by the liver. The other is to inhibit recycling of cholesterol and cause it to be eliminated. Cholesterol sequestrants like Colestipol do this. They bind cholesterol in the bile so that it cannot be re-absorbed, and it is eliminated. It means that more of the cholesterol made by the liver has to be used to make bile, and serum levels of it decline.

Whether doing this is actually of any benefit is a moot point. But in any case, a shortcoming of the drug is that it also binds other useful substances, like the fat solubel vitamins (vitamins A, D and K). :(

mortis505
Whether doing this is actually of any benefit is a moot point. But in any case, a shortcoming of the drug is that it also binds other useful substances, like the fat solubel vitamins (vitamins A, D and K). :(

Binds them how? Does this mean that I need to up my dosage of multivitamin? Should I avoid this drug and request a different one?

BrianSCohen

Mortis,

I know you are from transylvania, but you are not going to like this discussion. Normally, bile acids are excreted to enable the digestion and absorbtion of fat. A "cholesterol sequestrant" impedes the reabsorbtion and recycling of bile acids. The most common side effect is that fat passes through you like a freight train (a green one at that).

As noted above, there are major negative impacts from doing this to yourself. Turns out much fat is actually good, and you won't be getting much of that either. Your HDL will be as adversly affected as you LDL. Your triglycerides won't be affected. You may have malabsorbtion of vitamins as above as Bluesky notes.

I won't comment on the statins yet. But given that you had an adverse reaction to Crestor, I would ask you to seriously question whether this cholesterol "treatment" is likely to give you a better chance of living to see another day.

mortis505
Mortis,

I know you are from transylvania, but you are not going to like this discussion. Normally, bile acids are excreted to enable the digestion and absorbtion of fat. A "cholesterol sequestrant" impedes the reabsorbtion and recycling of bile acids. The most common side effect is that fat passes through you like a freight train (a green one at that).

As noted above, there are major negative impacts from doing this to yourself. Turns out much fat is actually good, and you won't be getting much of that either. Your HDL will be as adversly affected as you LDL. Your triglycerides won't be affected. You may have malabsorbtion of vitamins as above as Bluesky notes.

I won't comment on the statins yet. But given that you had an adverse reaction to Crestor, I would ask you to seriously question whether this cholesterol "treatment" is likely to give you a better chance of living to see another day.

So what you are saying is, that it bonds to everything, and allows it to pass through the digestive tract to be dissolved or put in the waste bin. Including vitamins and other proteins/nutrients that I need. I that what your saying? If I'm wrong, then is there any chance I could get you to translate that to plain (laymens terms) english for me.

BlueSky

The harsh reality is, anything that interferes with the way the body works will have negative effects on it. Drugs, by definition, interfere with what is going on in the body. The positive effects are always emphasised, and the negative effects are downplayed. But as someone trying to manage a chronic condition, you need to make a call on whether the positive effects warrant the negative consequences of long term drug usage.

My personal opinion is that the less drugs you use, the better your long term health is likely to be. Especially when it comes to cholesterol. Studies have shown that taking statins reduces heart disease risk, albeit at the cost of numerous adverse effects. But studies have also shown that reducing cholesterol using different mechanisms has the opposite effect. Look at the Vytorin and Torectrapib trials for details on how these medications reduce cholesterol but increase heart attack risk and all-cause mortality. To my mind, this supports the contention that beneficial effects of the statins has nothing to do with their cholesterol lowering effects. Cholesterol is produced by the liver, and I like to think that my body won't do anything that is self-destructive (I know it has already destroyed its beta cells, but I am willing to look past that :o ).

Cholesterol sequestrants definitely help reduce cholesterol. But I don't know of any studies that show their effects on all cause mortality. You need to decide whether messing with finely balanced systems to reduce your cholesterol is in fact justified. I suspect that the net benefit of using cholesterol sequestrants are minimal. And using these drugs could be counter-productive from an all-cause mortality perspective. Our livers produce cholesterol for a good reason, and I can't see how draining it out of the body can do any good.

After much deliberation, I have decided not to take any medication for cholesterol. Much of the hype about the dangers of cholesterol is misinformed. My levels are higher than the endo would like, but I really don't think they are cause for alarm.

adiantum

Praise be to Df

I've been reticent about making an appointment with the doc for my 3 month check up, because I know we are going to debate my refusal to take the statins she prescribed.

I tried them for a week, & my quality of life decreased because I ached so much that I went to bed instead of a walk.

It's threads like this that help me through these stages.

I've also learnt here to cut back on peanut butter as this might be contributing to my elevated cholesterol.

BrianSCohen

mortis,

Sorry to be confusing. The "cholesterol sequestrant" will cause the fats that you eat to blow right through you instead of being absorbed. Yes, they will reduce your cholesterol, both because you don't absorb fats and because you can no longer face eating fats knowing that you will have to dash to the bathroom.

mortis505

So basically I should ask for a different med that isn't a sequestrant. Crestor didn't work for me but there must be something that will. So any ideas. All Statins cant cause the reactions that I had.

REDLAN
All Statins cant cause the reactions that I had

there are 2 drugs used to lower cholesterol.

1) the sequestrants, which have various side effects including constipation, belching, heartburn, nausea, loss of appetite. This is not to say that you will get all or indeed any of these side effects.

2) and statins, which we all know about. The reason you were prescribed colestid, was I'm assuming your poor tolerance to Crestor. You could try changing to a different statin, but it is likely that you will experience the same side effects - muscle aches are an extremely common side effect from statins.

there is a lot of hype about statins, and they have become the front line drug in lowering cholesterol to ever lower levels. There have been a number of studies done on statins looking at

a) Primary prevention - preventing the disease before it happens in high risk people. This is the reason you are being prescribed them. When used in primary prevention a statin will lower the risk of dying of heart disease, however it will make no difference whatsoever to all-cause mortality. So, a statin makes you less likely to die of a heart attack, but makes you more likely to die of something else - Statin studies almost never publish all-cause mortality figures, so the reasons for the additional deaths can not be determined. There is some evidence suggesting that statins may increase your risk of having an accident.

B) Secondary prevention - preventing an already existing disease from either re-occuring or getting any worse. Statins given in this case will LOWER the risk from dying of heart attack, and will also lower all-cause mortallity.

the final bit that needs to be added...

a) and B) only applies to MEN. In women there is no benefit from all-cause mortality in either primary or secondary prevention.

I am personally somewhat mystified how statins have become front line drugs in heart disease prevention for both men and women, when a) they aren't very good at primary prevention, and B) they don't work for women.

I haven't personally looked to see if statins are a benefit in primary prevention for people with diabetes. I think there are some studies involving people with diabetes, but here again we need to be careful in interpreting any results. There are issues in applying the results from people with type 2 (this group will fill the bulk of a study group for statins) to people with diabetes of other types. When looking at studies about primary prevention it is also important to differentiate between studies that merely improve risk factors - such as cholesterol levels - and then extrapolate the result, and ones that deal with cold hard mortality figures.

REDLAN

the link below is from patient UK

Statins And Other Drugs To Lower Cholesterol

They list some other medications

1) Fibrates - but is mainly used if you have a high triglyceride level

2) nicotinic acid - only used if other drugs do not work. Generally has a high side effect rate - flushing nausea, vomiting headache.

3) Ezetimibe - blocks absorption of cholesterol by the gut - unlikely to have a large effect. Most of the cholesterol in the body is synthesized by the gut.

4) Fish oils - mostly lowers triglyceride levels, has very little effect on cholesterol levels.

BlueSky
So basically I should ask for a different med that isn't a sequestrant. ...

Taking nothing is also an option ;) .

fgummett

What about good BS control plus diet and exercise to help control dyslipdemia? I have read good things about garlic, onions and especially flax seed

ant hill
What about good BS control plus diet and exercise to help control dyslipdemia? I have read good things about garlic, onions and especially flax seed

Yes that's the go as food is the best medicine I think.

Yes That's the best as drugs of any kind is not good for you. ;)

BrianSCohen

mortis,

I personally would not take any drugs for cholesterol. I don't know what your levels are. You will have to make your own choice. The only thing I care about is keeping my triglycerides low and my HDL high. I keep my tris low by following a low carb diet and tightly controlling my blood sugar. I keep my HDL high by eating good fats in my diet, exercising aggresively, taking fish oil supplements and making sure that I always get my two glasses of medicinal red wine every evening.

Scrabblechick

These are actually some answers I've been looking for. My endo prescribed Wellchol for me, which is a sequestrant, I understand. I haven't had the scrip filled, simply because I didn't want to take SIX more pills a day! Plus, it isn't available in a generic. I suspect Dr. H. and I will have a round and round in August when I go back, depending on my bloodwork results then.

I don't exercise aggressively, but I am certainly trying to make sure my diet is in good shape. I'd like to give my body another few months, anyway, to see if I can get my LDL levels under control without medication. Lord knows I'm taking enough now, as it is. Although I may try the fish oil supplements to keep my HDL up.

My triglycerides were great at my last bloodwork: 101. That's down from 250. My cholesterol was only slightly elevated, from 192 to 208. But I don't really think my dietary and lifestyle changes have had time to take effect. We'll see what my August bloodwork looks like.

I told my DH last night that I couldn't afford non-generic Wellchol and Byetta both, and that, of the two, I'd rather try the Byetta and see how it does for me. I can see many more long-term benefits for the Byetta than I can for the cholesterol drug. Also, I'm hoping that, as I continue to lose weight, my cholesterol numbers will start to normalize.

mortis505

That is the option I like best.

BS control is good for me. 30 avg is 91/5.05. I just need to start trying to eat a bit healthier!!!

mortis,

I personally would not take any drugs for cholesterol. I don't know what your levels are. You will have to make your own choice. The only thing I care about is keeping my triglycerides low and my HDL high. I keep my tris low by following a low carb diet and tightly controlling my blood sugar. I keep my HDL high by eating good fats in my diet, exercising aggresively, taking fish oil supplements and making sure that I always get my two glasses of medicinal red wine every evening.

Test Current level Goal

Cholesterol 230 MG/DL 100/199

HDL 32 MG/DL 40/120

LDL 158 MG/DL 30/129

Triglycerides 202 MG/DL 40/249

Chol/HDL Ratio 7.2 1.5/5.0

A1C was 5.9

Creatinine was 0.92

I do need to start exercising. And I might consider the fish oil sups. Would Omega 3 be just as good?

BrianSCohen

mortis,

There is nothing dramatically wrong with your cholesterol. You should reduce your triglycerides to < 150 mg/dL, a low carb diet should take care of that. I have also found that strict adherence to test guidance helps results. Yes, definitely fast for 12 hours. Don't drink alchohol for a while before the test. You should boost your HDL as well, get some good fats, fish oil, more exercise and red wine, again not before your cholesterol test tho.

There are a number of different Omega-3 fats, it is a class. The ones that you want are EPA and DHA from fish oil. I take flaxseed oil as well which contains other Omega-3's, namely ALA, LA, and OA, but they are no substitute for the EPA and DHA. If you have problems with fish oil taste or burps, vitacost sells a strawberry version here NSI Mega EFA® Omega -3 EPA & DHA - 240 Softgels - Vitacost.

mortis505

Thanks Brian, I will look into those. The tests were performed after a 12 hour fast. Never really been a wine drinker. The taste just never appealed to me.

georgepds
The harsh reality is, anything that interferes with the way the body works will have negative effects on it. ....

...But studies have also shown that reducing cholesterol using different mechanisms has the opposite effect. Look at the Vytorin and Torectrapib trials for details on how these medications reduce cholesterol but increase heart attack risk and all-cause mortality.

Kudos... I always enjoy your posts.. Thank you for participating

That said, on personal note, I've used Lipitor for over a decade without any noticeable adverse effect. Some have mentioned problems (aches, etc) but I've never had any. YMMV

princesslinda
Thanks Brian, I will look into those. The tests were performed after a 12 hour fast. Never really been a wine drinker. The taste just never appealed to me.

I don't like the taste of wine at all, but started drinking red wine at bedtime on the advice of my doc to raise HDL levels. They were 23 at diagnosis....3 months after starting red wine and fish-oil tabs, they were 46. 48 on last test...just can't hit 50 for some reason.

Anyway, I mix my red wine with cherry s/f koolaid (yes, I can hear the collective gasps from you wine lovers;) )...it makes it more palatable for me.

notme
Anyway, I mix my red wine with cherry s/f koolaid (yes, I can hear the collective gasps from you wine lovers;) )...it makes it more palatable for me.

I taste bile in my throat. I wonder if that is from high cholesterol or s/f koolaid and wine. :eek: What kind of princess would drink that swill?

OK, that's it PrincessLinda. You get out here and I am taking you to Napa Valley and we are going wine tasting. I will cure YOUR affliction. :T

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.