Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony

Flu shortage in u.s.a

Tony

The company that makes half the U.S. supply of the influenza vaccine announced Today(Tuesday) it won't be able to provide any flu shots for the upcoming season.

Full story

rzrbks

Good Post, Tony

Those of us here who believe themselves to be Diabetic should get to the Dr. Right Away and get our shots.

Shalyndria
Originally posted by Tony

Looks like I might have to go to Canada for my flu jab.

So does that mean you're going to get one?!?!? SWEET!!! You come on up to Canada for that sucker and I'll put you up in my house! :D

Shy

Belinda
Originally posted by Shalyndria

So does that mean you're going to get one?!?!? SWEET!!! You come on up to Canada for that sucker and I'll put you up in my house! :D

Shy

Okay Tony how can you say NO to that offer?

buzzborne

I heard on the news tonight that there could be shortages here too... as one firm that produces the vaccine have found something wrong with it... or by the time they get some more, it could be too late to have any effect.

nantomsuethom

We must have lucked out. Thomas has an appt. for his flu shot next week.

He's not too sure he wants to be that lucky!!

soremom

I have had my appointment made since June for me and the boys. I go in two weeks. If they tell me they don't have enough I will hit them. I made the appointment early specifically so they would have it on order for us. This was their suggestion. Told me then that there would be a shortage this year.

Kim

Harold

The wife called the doctors office and they told her to get it else where. They did not know if they would even get any to give out this year. Just Monday work announced the flu shot schedule was posted on their site and when I checked they said the flu shot program for this year has been cancled. A grocery store chain here gives out shots every year, and in todays paper they showed a line with hundreds of people in it. Sounds like a good winter to HIBERNATE.

Shalyndria

Yikes!! :eek: I definitely feel for you all! Be sure to practice strict aseptic techniques to avoid coming down with the virus!!

On a related note, one of my co-workers tried to call in sick with the flu this morning, but unfortunately the boss asked him to come in regardless as we are already critically short-staffed. Poor guy was running to the men's room every ten minutes. Here's hoping I haven't contracted the virus!!! :mad:

Shy

rzrbks
Shalyndria

Poor guy was running to the men's room every ten minutes. Here's hoping I haven't contracted the virus!!!

Yes, indeed we wouldn't want you running to the men's room every ten minutes.:eek:

Tony

I can't get the flu jab if I wanted to, However it looks like I have a pretty good offer in Canada that I just can't refuse!

They had to send all vaccine back to the company. British authorities suspended the California-based Chiron's license for three months because of problems at its vaccine manufacturing Liverpool plant, which primarily supplies the American market.

This means the company can't supply any vaccine during that time, and Chiron said it would provide no U.S. vaccine this year.

Flu vaccine is made using chicken eggs and takes months to brew, meaning manufacturers cannot suddenly produce more.

Tony
Originally posted by Shalyndria

Here's hoping I haven't contracted the virus!!! :mad:

Shy

Don't touch your face!

Last winter I would always tell that to my brother when we went to a customers house that was sick. And what happens I come down with the flu.

HeatherP

I've decided to forgo one this year. It just doesn't seem worth the trouble. I'm healthy and in good control and my exposure is really very minimal. I'll probably be fine. Might as well let somebody else who needs it more have my dose.

HeatherP

Belinda

Well I have a plan!!!! hopefully I will be able to get the shot but if not......other than hand washing etc...... I am going to get the prescription for the tamaflu(sp) the prescription meds that helps shorten the flu once youl get it. It was almost impossible to find one year so I figure if I get sick then I can take it and reduce the longevity of it......

Here is hoping the director of Red Cross has some good news for me...

Littlebit63_99

I am about to go on the anti-rejejection drugs for my transplant, and since when I do......my immune system will be challanged......I pray to God that my appointment next week gets me my flu shot. I am wondering how important it is for my partner to get one. And, Tamaflu sounds interesting.........Jeff took Flumadine a few years back for the flu and had an awfully severe reaction to it. A short time later it was off the market. I have to say I am REALLY worried about this years flu season. My transplant coordinator told us (there were four recipients in my classes) that if we even got colds we could easily get pnuemonia.

Prior to meeting Jeff, I had been hospitalized five times as a result of the flu. Dehydration. Jeff introduced Pedialite as a solution for me 13 years ago.....and I have had the flu a few times since and not had to go in. :D YAY!!!!!! But, it leaves me scared to death of the flu. :( 'Course, in these days......even if you are dehydrated the insurance company won't pay for a hospital stay......so maybe I get all worked up every fall for nothing. God! I hate flu season. Ok, enough rambling. Good luck everyone in dealing with this. (the shortage, the germs)

zookeeper671

Geeze, Lil~ Seems quite important that you get the shot. I'd also think your partner should be innoculated, too, no?

I won't be getting the shot this year, either. My doc's office isn't supplying it. Like Heather, I have pretty minimal exposure, so I'm hoping I'll be ok. Worry about my bf, though...

buzzborne
Originally posted by Willow

I'm booked in to have the shot at work on 4 Nov. Fingers crossed!

Thats the day before my birthday :D ... i'm hoping I can get mine soon, they have cancelled one drop in at my doctors already....

Willow

My docs had drop in clinics last w/e & yesterday so maybe I should have gone there in case work cancel.

Any plans to celebrate your birthday?

notme

I think I will forgo the flu shot this year and hope for the best. I am type one on an insulin pump, but other than that, I am pretty healthy. I think that is is imperative for the elderly and very young to have the flu shot, so I will forget it this year. I think the hype about the flu shot is a little over the top.

I survived 15 years without it. I will probably make it one more year.

Nancy

buzzborne
Originally posted by Willow

Any plans to celebrate your birthday?

Not got any just yet... but I am thinking... lol! :D:rolleyes:

Willow

Received an email at work to say that they can't get hold of any flu vaccine for the 4 Nov appts but they can get some for 11 Nov, so I've re-booked for then. Fingers crossed, again!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.