Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony

Flu shortage in u.s.a

BeadieJay

I found out today that my surgery isn't due to get any vaccine until 2nd November, but I'm not hopeful of getting a shot. There are an awful lot of elderly people in my village who will have priority (and rightly so), so I'll probably be one of the last on the list.

I hope I don't get sick though. I had flu 4 years ago and have never been so ill in all my life - it was horrendous. And 2 years ago I got bronchitis, which was also horrible. I'm always getting colds because of my young kids bringing bugs home from school. Oh well, if I get the flu it'll mean I won't be able to do any housework for a couple of weeks!!!

buzzborne
Originally posted by BeadieJay

There are an awful lot of elderly people in my village who will have priority (and rightly so), so I'll probably be one of the last on the list.

I thought that as well, but I mentioned this in passing at a Dr's appt. an they said the elderley and people with chronic illnesses like diabetes and asthma all have the same priority...

I haven't been contacted to when my flu shot is going to be... hopefully soon, but i'm also hoping that I may get to do it myself... don't like anyone else giving me injections! lol :P

mg_2204

... I've missed my appointment to get my flu jab because I was too unwell. 2 weeks later, I'm still sick ACK!!!

I keep telling myself it's just a bad cold... it's just a bad cold...

Now I'm wondering if I should bother at all getting a flu jab when I'm finally over this stupid virus.

BeadieJ: Believe it or not, I was told diabetic people are as much a priority as elderly people when it comes to flu jabs. You will get yours. :)

Marie

:)

Shalyndria

Guess what?!?

Canada is stepping up to the plate for all you Americans. Heard on the news this morning that a company in Vancouver is supplying the States with the vaccine (can't remember how much they said) so anyone who wants to get it might want to jump on it ASAP before they run out.

Got mine yesterday. Arm's a little tender today but it beats being sick :)

Shy

zookeeper671

Canada is supplying them to/for nursing homes and hospitals. (At least that's what I heard on the evening news last night.) Wonder if that will be of benefit to the general public? They didn't elaborate.

Canucks to the rescue! :)

soremom

I found out today that even though I have an appt for next week it doesn't mean that the drs office will have the vaccine and that my kids probably won't get it. Apparently they are too old to qualify right now. I will know more next week, though I called today to add my husband to our drs visit, for other reason, they didn't say that they didn't have any. Keeping fingers crossed.

I have a friend that works for the Dept of Health, she said they are expecting more vaccines in. Apparently anybody that order from the company that can't get them, will get some. I believe she said the CDC is regulate who gets what and how many and try to distribute to them evenly. She is going to get one for my father, who needs it more than I do.

Kim

HeatherP

Anybody else hear the latest conspiracy theory that the shortage was deliberately created by the Bush Administration?

What will they think of next...

HeatherP

archimeech

it is a conspiracy, I seen't it. Right after the aliens gave me the anal probe, they set me back in my trailer with all the evidence I needed to prove that Elvis is behind the Republicans in a plan to take over the world!!!!!!!

PepsiLvr

Just FYI - I heard on the news today that flu shots are being reserved for people who really need them like children under 2, the elderly, diabetics, etc....

I have never gotten one and I don't plan to this year either.

kctowers

Because I have Asthma, I get priority treatment for the flu jab. Trouble was, the one time I took up the offer - and only the once -I spent two weeks in bed with full-blown flu. Since shying clear of the nasty things, I have never had it.

Keith

HeatherP

Well, I wasn't going to get one, but I was up at the doc's for something else and they wouldn't let me leave until I let them jab me. Hope I didn't take a dose away from somebody who really needs one.

(I know as a diabetic I'm in the priority group, but I'm young, my sugars are under good control most of the time:p and I'm pretty healthy otherwise and since I work out of my home I'm not exposed as much as others who work in larger environments.)

HeatherP

Shalyndria
Originally posted by Tony

Looks like we have a strike out.

Flu shot unlikely

You do this to me on purpose, don't you?! :P:rolleyes: :whistling

Hey, it says there's still 55.4 million doses of the vaccine slotted for high-risk Pt's, a category which Diabetics fall under. So maybe it will be a possibility. Wonder where y'all got those from??

Shy

HeatherP

It would be sort of hypocritical for us to be buying shots from Canada when we can't import other meds wouldn't it? (which I think in a load of bull)

Just a reminder, for anyone who gets the flu (shot or no) there are a couple of drugs available by rx to help alleviate the suffering. One is Amantadine (I think) and there's on other that I know of. If you can get it w/i 24-48 hours of onset of symptoms it's supposed to help you get over it faster.

Tony
Originally posted by Shalyndria

You do this to me on purpose, don't you?! :P:rolleyes: :whistling

I try!

Hey, it says there's still 55.4 million doses of the vaccine slotted for high-risk Pt's, a category which Diabetics fall under. So maybe it will be a possibility. Wonder where y'all got those from??

Shy

Two different companies were suppling the USA. Chiron Corp was shut down. And Aventis Pasteur had supplied us with 55.4 million doses. Aventis Pasteur plans to try and make more, but can’t increase production until it meets existing orders in November.

Shalyndria
Originally posted by HeatherP

It would be sort of hypocritical for us to be buying shots from Canada when we can't import other meds wouldn't it? (which I think in a load of bull)

:topic: Personally, I hate the online Canadian pharmacies that sell outside of the country. Reason being, it's going to eventually drive the prices up for us Canadians (or that's what they fear anyway, and I fear it too). A more practical solution is for the American gov't to incorporate a cap on the pricing of Rx's, as there is in Canada. Oh if only I ran the world.... :rolleyes:

So many compelling reasons to move to Canada, eh?! ;):D

Shy

HeatherP
A more practical solution is for the American gov't to incorporate a cap on the pricing of Rx's, as there is in Canada.

I agree wholeheartedly, Shy. Unfortunately the drug co's are very rich and powerful and as long as they are giving money to the politicians that is unlikely to happen.

Don't know that I'd care for snow in October (or ever, really)!

Harold

:topic: A more practical solution is for the American gov't to incorporate a cap on the pricing of Rx's, as there is in Canada. Oh if only I ran the world.... :rolleyes:

Shy

One of the reasons given for the high prices here are the caps put on drugs by other countries. Also the drug companies have said they sell drugs at or near their costs in very poor countries. Essentially putting all of the R&D cost and profit taking on the U.S. population. A lot of people will argue it's not true, but I will not argue the point because it's not mine. Others will say it's only fair to share the wealth. The only thing I will say about this is when one has a share of the wealth one also has a share of the cost.

Tony

Guess what?!?

Canada is stepping up to the plate for all you Americans.

Right! Stepping up to the plate to just say no to us Americans.

Story here

KLD
Originally posted by Tony

Right! Stepping up to the plate to just say no to us Americans.

Story here

To be fair to the Canadian Medical Association, can you imagine the outrage there will be amongst Canadians if many of them can't get a flu shot because it's been used for Americans? It's a dilemma, and there doesn't appear to be an easy answer.

I did hear on last night's news, though, that over 80% of the flu shots given so far in New Brunswick have been given to Americans. So not all provinces are handling it the same way.

Karen

Dewey
:topic: Personally, I hate the online Canadian pharmacies that sell outside of the country. Reason being, it's going to eventually drive the prices up for us Canadians (or that's what they fear anyway, and I fear it too). A more practical solution is for the American gov't to incorporate a cap on the pricing of Rx's, as there is in Canada.

:topic: This is a tough one, because if there is a cap on drug pricing in Canada, then prices cannot become outrageous like they now are in America. I personally don't feel I should have to pay $60.00 for one bottle of insulin locally, when I can purchase 2 bottles for roughly the same price (approx. $30 each) through an online Canadian drugstore. When one doesn't have insurance, one needs to employ other methods to obtain medical necessities.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.