Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

archimeech

Don't Pay for a Glucometer unless you really want to(Not a Solicitation just FYI)

archimeech

This is not a solicitation! Just my wanting to give everyone some information. I wanted to post this as a thread of it's own. If you're in the US, sorry all in the UK and elsewhere, but I don't know if it works this way for you; you can get just about any glucometer at no charge to you. I have been diabetic for 20 years, in that time I have paid for only 1 meter, and that was because I really wanted it. The drug companies that make the meters and strips are like the cellular phone companies. they offer you a really good deal, if not free, on your phone or in our case the glucometer so that they can make tons of money on the service contract and strips. A meter is a one time purchase but those strips every month really make a ton of money for the companies. If you deal with a Diabetes Educator, and all of you should, then they will either have a good supply of brand new meters in a closet somewhere or they will be able to get you one at no charge from the local sales rep. My educator had so many at one time that she was giving 2 to every person. She needed to clean out the closet and just told us to use the other as a back-up or at work or whatever! I did pay for one, the Therasense FreeStyle Tracker. it is the meter that plugs into a PDA and I loved it. It was easy to use, easy to download, all ready hooked to the PDA (Handspring Visor) After the coupons and rebates that the Sales Rep from Therasense gave me, I wound up paying just the price for the PDA. So for all intense and purposes, it was free to me as well. I changed jobs and my new insurance doesn't cover the Therasense strips so I had to change glucometers. I simply called up my diabetes educator and asked for her opinion on a new one and if she had any available. She suggested the Lifescan One-touch Ultra Smart. The closest thing to a PDA type glucometer. She said to come by and she would leave one at the desk for me. At the same time I asked for another meter, just the One-touch Ultra for a coworker of mine. He is the son of 2 diabetics and checks his sugar every now and then just to watch it. She gave me one for him also. I then went online and downloaded their software for free. The computer cable didn't come with the meter so I called the Educator again and asked her for the reps name, got a hold of her and she mailed me the cable for free. If I would have bought it all off of the website from the manufacturer, it would have cost me at least $160.00 US! My prescription for strips is 300 for a 30 days supply, I think they make enough money off of me and my insurance company. If you don't go to an educator, call up the companies. Tell them your story and see what kind of meter they are willing to send you. We diabetics spend enough money, don't pay for a meter if you don't have to.

nantomsuethom

Thomas has 5 meters. We did not pay for any of them. Your not kidding when you say they make more than enough on the strips. If we didn't have insurance we would go bankrupt!!

Also, many store flyers will have coupons for free meters when you buy the strips.

jared

Thank you archimeech. I just called Rouch diagnostic and asked them if they had a local rep in he area that could sell me a monitor for cheaper then what the stores were charging. They asked question on why I need it and I said as a back up. They said " for a one time deal " we would mail you an accu check complete monitor for free. Thankfully it takes the same strips as the advantage that I currently use... WORKED OUT GOOD THIS TIME

archimeech

Good for you Jared! I still suggest you get a hold of a local Diabetes educator or maybe your local endocrinologist and ask them the same thing. Just tell them straight up, that you want to know if they have any glucometers that are distributed by the area Reps. That way should something happen to your monitors you know who to go to. Roche Diagnostics was so intent on keeping me as a user that they have sent me probably 3 monitors in the last 4 years.

nantomsuethom

I did the same thing for insulin. Before we had health insurance (when Thomas was first diagnosed).

The endo's office always had a refrig. full of insulin samples, including pens.

amyjean

I am so glad you posted this thread. I have had my meter for almost 5 years now and have wanted a new one, but can't afford one. I had to go buy some strips and started talking to my pharmacist and she told me she had some coupons for a free meter. So I got a new Ascensia Breeze that holds 10 discs for free. Thanks!

Amy

lgvincent

Well, I'll be darn! I thought I was getting a great deal when I bought a Compete for $80.00. I've always suspected I wasn't too bright. This only proves it. I sort of get the feeling I need to fly out to the south Pacific and make sure the island I just bought is in as good a shape as promised (as soon as that fellow can find the keys to the brand new used flying saucer he just sold me).

archimeech

I'm glad I could help, Amy. We spend enough money on this damned disease all ready, so whatever tips I can give I will.

Lg, I'll give you those keys when your check clears. lol

archimeech

I just wanted to post again on this thread and keep it up at the top of the list. I feel it's too important an issue to let go of.

Meech

Dewey

You're right, Archimeech..this is good info. for anyone and everyone (especially those newly diagnosed) to know. Thanks! :)

jazzy1

This is an awesome topic! I got my OneTouch Ultra Smart for free a few months ago. The company I went with for my pump threw it in with the pump. There was a questionnaire that asked how long I had my current glucometer. Since it was "over a year", they sent me another one...and if I sent in my old meter, they also shipped me a 60-day supply of strips! It worked out great for me...I had 3 meters...I sent them the oldest (Glucometer Elite XL) that I hadn't used in forever!

Now...if someone can show us how to get the darn insulin for free....

Question for the Canadians!!! I've heard that there are a number of drugs that are cheaper in Canada (Maybe Bush can buy some flu shots!). I'm interested to know the cost of insulin for my neighbors to the north.

Dewey
Originally posted by jazzy1

I've heard that there are a number of drugs that are cheaper in Canada (Maybe Bush can buy some flu shots!). I'm interested to know the cost of insulin for my neighbors to the north.

Hi Jazzy,

Though I'm not Canadian, ;) I have purchased insulin from an online Canadian drugstore (after much research). The price I was able to find (for Humalog) was approx. $30 per bottle (as opposed to $60 here in the US). Of course, I jumped at the deal, and got three bottles to start off (you do need a prescription to purchase from them). If you'd like to know where I purchased mine, I'll gladly give you the site. Please e-mail me at:

toloache51@msn.com for details. Hope this helps. :)

archimeech

it's such a rip off either way. The DNA Recombinant Humulin Insulin has been on the market for 20 years now, and rather than get less expennsive, it's twice as expensive for Humalog than it was for Regular in '84. I use about 4-5 vials a month and am very lucky that I have insurance. I have made my last 3 job decisions based on what kind of medical insurance I could obtain. Luckily, all the other promotions and salary benefits went along with the insurance, but I couldn't even imagine not having insurance. I was without insurance for about 4 years, half way out of college and into my 3rd job after. I don't know how I made it through it all.

That is why I posted the tidbit about getting your glucometer free. No one should pay for something that they are giving out like, business cards at a salesman's convention. I try everything possible to save money, right down to using my infusion sets a little longer than what's recomended. Every little bit helps, but it's still not enough for some. I'm not sure that socialest medicine is the answer, but our free-market health care system, here in the US, is letting us down just as well.

lgvincent

It seems like it was only 3 years ago when I was paying $25.00 for a vial of Humalog. It was $65.00 the last time I bought some in a drug store.

Dewey
Originally posted by lgvincent

It seems like it was only 3 years ago when I was paying $25.00 for a vial of Humalog. It was $65.00 the last time I bought some in a drug store.

That's what I remembered, too, lg. The last time I had to purchase from the local pharmacy, Humalog was only $25.00 per bottle. When I checked recently, I was floored by the price increase (Hence purchasing from Canada)! :eek::mad:

Archimeech, you're right - there certainly does need to be a change in the way meds are priced and distributed in the US. I'm completely with ya there!

gettingby

It is truly ridiculous what the government and pharmaceutical companies can charge. Not to mention the meter manufacturers.

archimeech

You would think that the cost would at least stay the same. As technology allows us to make it cheaper they simply keep the same price tag and make more profit as they go.

When I bought my Minimed508 6 years ago, it cost me 4800.00, now that I'm looking at replacing it, all the pumps coast right at 6,000.00! I don't get it......

gettingby

That's what I can't understand. Doctors and the ADA tell us that we need to check our bg levels often to avoid complications but with the rising costs of everything, how is the average American supposed to accomplish this? The rising cost of insulin pumps is what concerns me now. I may have to go on one to better my control but what do I do then when I can't afford it. The government really needs to take a closer look at what the medical industry is doing. Sorry to rant but this makes me mad!!!!

Cin

archimeech

I use my infusion sets longer than I'm supposed to just to save on money. My insurance only covers 70% of what they consider medical supplies. Instead of changing my site every 3 days like I'm supposed to I use them about 5-7 days, depending on how the site is doing. I don't have the best control at the end of the cycle, but it allows me to get double the use out of 1 years supplies and thereby save money the second year.

It sucks, but one of the things I'm forced to do.

jazzy1

Cost of medicine and supplies has always been a gripe of mine. I just don't understand why our government can allow pharmaceuticals companies to charge outrageous prices for things that are necessity for us! It's different for things that people want like cosmetic surgery...but something that keeps a person alive??? Come'on!!

archimeech I did the same thing for years!! I recycled my syringes (and developed awful lumps) because I made too much money to qualify for welfare but not enough to cover basic supplies. You're right...gotta do what you gotta do. :mad:

[d]Dewey[/b] I'm about to shoot you an email. I'd LOVE to know where you get your supplies.

archimeech

I did the same thing with my syringes, Jazzy. I used to use one a day, and usually was taking at least 4 shots with the same syringe.

Dewey

Hi jazzy,

I don't mind sharing with ya. Most of my pump supplies have been purchased through eBay, and when I cannot find something there, I look at other online stores. One is Discount Diabetic Supplies, and I'll PM the website to you. I'll gladly share the info. anytime: just drop me a PM or an e-mail at: toloache51@msn.com

Originally posted by jazzy1

archimeech I did the same thing for years!! I recycled my syringes (and developed awful lumps) because I made too much money to qualify for welfare but not enough to cover basic supplies. You're right...gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm with both of ya on that one. I still recycle reservoirs, and when I hit a good site, I'll try to keep it going for as long as possible! You are both absolutely right on "what ya gotta do, ya gotta do!" :D

gettingby
Originally posted by archimeech

I did the same thing with my syringes, Jazzy. I used to use one a day, and usually was taking at least 4 shots with the same syringe.

Me too. I figured that it wouldn't be too bad to do that considering I was the only one using them. I haven't done it too often but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Cin:)

christie

the whole pharmacy prices and such are crazy these days,i went to pick up my lantus the other day and i was told that it was a not covered medicine.WHAT?so the pharmacist told me she'd give to me and she'd hassle with them to get the payment,howcan they possibly say insulin is not cover or needed?it is pure crazy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.