Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

archimeech

Don't Pay for a Glucometer unless you really want to(Not a Solicitation just FYI)

Laurel524

The insurance company are only interested in one thing...MAKING MONEY!

My drugs are getting more expensive every time I purchase them.

But I think the insurance company are "penny wise, dollar foolish", when people stop taking medication or testing because of the cost and end of in the hospital with complications.

I was able to purchase my Janumet at $5 after I came across a coupon (see my post).

It has saved me $100's of dollars over the past 3 years.

GDM mom

From my personal experience, I really do not recommend Onetouch glucometer. I used it during my pregnancy and it always give me weird number. When I compare the reading to other glucometers (same drop of blood), the difference between two or three readings (I compared it to Bayer and CVS glucometers) could be 50mg/dl (huge). The readings from Bayer and CVS glucometers are similar. It caused a lot of confusion regarding the dosage of insulin.

Hammer

I guess I am coming late to the party, since the last post here was back in July.  The thing is, if you have insurance, and they require you to deal with some mail order company, you are forced to use whatever the insurance company, and the mail order company offer up for meters.  Sure, you can buy your own meter and test strips, but that can get really expensive.  By using the required mail order company to get my meter and test strips, it doesn't cost me anything, but the downside is that they only offer up really cheap, inaccurate meters.

Well Hammer here is idea if you make an app or website that Diabetics can use to trade the strips their insurance company forces them to use for the strips needed for their meter. I am sure you would have lots of people using it. I am having to deal with this issue I have the Animas Ping insulin pump and it uses the One Touch Ping meter and my insurance company is refusing to cover it. So I told them then buy me a New insulin pump that uses the strips you approve that has the same feature of my Ping and have yet to hear back from them.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.