Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

archimeech

Don't Pay for a Glucometer unless you really want to(Not a Solicitation just FYI)

jazzy1
Originally posted by christie

howcan they possibly say insulin is not cover or needed?it is pure crazy.

It might be the Lantus that your insurance is not covering...not insulin in general. I had a similar problem with my insurance when I switched to Lantus. It's still a fairly new drug (compared to others) and many insurance companies will make you go through heck and high water before they say "ok". My doctor and I had to prove that I had been on other stuff but still wasn't in the best control...and that it would be more cost effect for them what a joke huh? for them to cover the Lantus now instead of the medical bills later!

christie

i can understand not wanting to cover new drugs,but insulin,what are you supposed to do go without,they did the same thing with zocor.but the lantus costs the same as humalog but they cover humalog.i'll fight to have to have this changed because i am not going back to the humalin u.i was so bad with that one i was low(bad low) atleast 4 times a week which i don't have with the lantus,the insurance company is'nt there to take care of my kids when i blackout,or drive my car when i can't see,which has happened on the u insulin.

jazzy1

I understand your troubles (trust me I do!) but insurance companies are all about the bottom line...not you, your kids, or your car. It was the same way with Humalog when it came out. I remember when my mom had to fight with them about covering it when my Dr. wanted me off of NPH. To them, Lantus is new...still in it's begining phases...more than likely they'll cover it, but you have to prove "necessity"...meaning why you need it when there are similar products on the market that they do cover.

If you don't mind me asking, who's your insurance provider? I had United Health Care at my last job and I ALWAYS had problems out of them!

archimeech

OH, they'll cover it just as soon as it gets cheeper and they have some kind of contract with the maker of Lantus so they can make us grab our ankles yet again on the price!

gettingby
Originally posted by archimeech

OH, they'll cover it just as soon as it gets cheeper and they have some kind of contract with the maker of Lantus so they can make us grab our ankles yet again on the price!

Amen to that Meech. I completely agree with you. Insurance companies don't look at the big picture. They only see what it is gonna cost them now, not what will happen later. Where will your insurance companies be should you have complications later on that could have been prevented?

Cin:)

archimeech

I'm reposting this. I think it's too important to let go.

meech

Don't Pay for a Gucometer unless you really want to(Not a Solicitation just FYI)

This is not a solicitation! Just my wanting to give everyone some information. I wanted to post this as a thread of it's own. If you're in the US, sorry all in the UK and elsewhere, but I don't know if it works this way for you; you can get just about any glucometer at no charge to you. I have been diabetic for 20 years, in that time I have paid for only 1 meter, and that was because I really wanted it. The drug companies that make the meters and strips are like the cellular phone companies. they offer you a really good deal, if not free, on your phone or in our case the glucometer so that they can make tons of money on the service contract and strips. A meter is a one time purchase but those strips every month really make a ton of money for the companies. If you deal with a Diabetes Educator, and all of you should, then they will either have a good supply of brand new meters in a closet somewhere or they will be able to get you one at no charge from the local sales rep. My educator had so many at one time that she was giving 2 to every person. She needed to clean out the closet and just told us to use the other as a back-up or at work or whatever! I did pay for one, the Therasense FreeStyle Tracker. it is the meter that plugs into a PDA and I loved it. It was easy to use, easy to download, all ready hooked to the PDA (Handspring Visor) After the coupons and rebates that the Sales Rep from Therasense gave me, I wound up paying just the price for the PDA. So for all intense and purposes, it was free to me as well. I changed jobs and my new insurance doesn't cover the Therasense strips so I had to change glucometers. I simply called up my diabetes educator and asked for her opinion on a new one and if she had any available. She suggested the Lifescan One-touch Ultra Smart. The closest thing to a PDA type glucometer. She said to come by and she would leave one at the desk for me. At the same time I asked for another meter, just the One-touch Ultra for a coworker of mine. He is the son of 2 diabetics and checks his sugar every now and then just to watch it. She gave me one for him also. I then went online and downloaded their software for free. The computer cable didn't come with the meter so I called the Educator again and asked her for the reps name, got a hold of her and she mailed me the cable for free. If I would have bought it all off of the website from the manufacturer, it would have cost me at least $160.00 US! My prescription for strips is 300 for a 30 days supply, I think they make enough money off of me and my insurance company. If you don't go to an educator, call up the companies. Tell them your story and see what kind of meter they are willing to send you. We diabetics spend enough money, don't pay for a meter if you don't have to.

Last edited by archimeech on 10-08-2004 at 01:15 PM

Eri's mom

I think we've only paid for one meter...actually, it wasn't even the meter, it was the strips....got a free meter w/ it.

My mom has called accu-chek, and we've actually been sent free meters.

Dewey
Originally posted by jared

i agree. dont let this topic die. i dont remember who showed us but i recieved my BD meter yesturday. i like it....

Still waiting on mine, Jared...how long did it take to get to you?

Meech, this is definitely a great topic and extremely helpful to those interested in a monitor, or new to Diabetes (and testing). All too often, people are unaware, and wind up spending unnecessarily.

Shalyndria

Hey guys.

Rather than reposting threads, if it's already been posted give it a bump. All you have to do is reply in the original thread, and it will bump it up to new postings as well as to the top of the forum it's in. We'd rather see you do that than repeat posting (which is not allowed, but I'm turning a blind eye in this case).

Shy :)

Funnygrl

I mentioned the free BD Logic. I had trouble with accuracy with them before, but my current one seems pretty good.

JasonJayhawk

I received the free BD meter via UPS this week. It came with 50 strips. VERY awesome -- without insurance or a job (until I finish school...), it was extremely helpful.

Strangely enough, BD only sent the meter to me after I said that I have Insurance, and pay for my strips via a Copay. Both are lies -- I pay out of pocket...but when I was truthful and claimed I paid out of pocket, it sent a $40 off a BD glucose meter when buying one box of strips. Not very helpful to me.

Now I can can try to get BD strips off of eBay before the Medicare/Medicaid strip dealers on eBay bid high prices on those strips, too (I used to be able to get 100 Freestyle strips for $25 until those test strip dealers started bidding on them...). It's a shame our insurance prices are going up simply because people are getting extra strips and then turning around, selling them, for a huge profit -- without even the thought of a donation.

jared

Dewey it only took 1 week after I placed my order to receive the new meter i like it b/c it is a whole lot faster than my old accu-check and it only requires verry little blood..... but I am checking on different meters to see which one I like best... I am going to Wal-Mart today and using a coupon from freestyle flash for only 10.00... cant beat that.... can you guys please post different meter companines? Im still working on free meters to see which one I like best... thanks

Dewey
Originally posted by jared

can you guys please post different meter companines? Im still working on free meters to see which one I like best... thanks

There are quite a few meter vendors out there, but I can give a good website that lists many of them:

Children With Diabetes

Children With Diabetes offers good information on the various meters. I also gave names (and sites, respectively below) of the various meter companies (along with some meter names), as a few may not be listed on the CWD site...

1. Abbott (Medisense-Precision QID, Xtra, Freestyle, Softact)

2. Ascencia (A Bayer Company - Dex2, Breeze, Contour & Elite/XL)

3. BD (Makers of the BD Latitude and Logic)

4. CheckMate Plus (never heard of them, but a small meter...lol)

5. Focus (do not know if they're available in the US)

6. GlucoWatch (Cygnus - still need to reference w/another meter)

7. Home Diagnostics (Prestige IQ Meter - requires large sample)

8. Hypoguard (Make the Advance Micro-Draw and Quick-Tek)

9. Lifescan (Ultra, UltraSmart, Fast Take, InDuo, SureStep..)

10. Reli-On (Reli-On, NewTek and Ultima Meters)

11. Roche Diagnostics (Accu-Check Active, Advantage, Compact, Complete...)

1. Abbott Diabetes

2. Bayer Diagnostics

3. BD Diabetes Care

4. Check Mate Plus (Made by QuestStar, didn't have a page though)

5. Quest Star Medical (Focus)

6. Gluco Watch Cygnus

7. Home Diagnostics

8. HypoGuard

9. LifeScan

10. Reli-On

11. Accu-Check Meters

archimeech
Has anyone lese come across anymore-new meter companies interested in giving away free meters to test... :cool:

Just call up one of the local hospital's CDEs. They should have pretty good knowledge of what's out there. Usually the sales reps always call on them and drop of all kinds of stuff. Or they can put you in contact with the reps.

archimeech
:topic: How does one "bump" something? I'm bump challenged. 16.gif

You just did it. whenever you post a reply on a thread it is bumped to the chronological top of the page. :thumbsup:

oops, now I did it! :king:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.