Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

archimeech

Don't Pay for a Glucometer unless you really want to(Not a Solicitation just FYI)

Batty

I've gotten most of my meters in the past for free. the only one we paid for, was this huge one that I put on my arm, called Soft-touch or something..but it kept breaking so we got our $300 back. But all you have to do, atleast what we do, is go to the Diabetic Team at the hospital when I have to do my check-up with them..and they usually give us a bunch of supplies if my mom can't afford them, and once in a while they give us a meter that the company is trying to promote.

archimeech

:whistling You only bump the ones you love! errr, I mean hurt the ones you love, or love the bumps that are left by your hurt ones, hmmm how does that song go again? lol :1eye:

jared

i would like to hear about som of you old timmers. how were the meters when they first were available to the public? how big were they. (Like cell phones were like the army walkie talkies)

Dewey
i would like to hear about som of you old timmers. how were the meters when they first were available to the public? how big were they. (Like cell phones were like the army walkie talkies)

Ok. Well, I'm Not an old timer, ;) but the first meter I remember using was (in the 80's):

The Glucochek S.C.

It has reading times of 2 minutes and its dimensions are: 6 3/8" x 2 3/4" 7/8" (way bigger than the ones available now). Users had to insert the strip two times (once facing up, and the other after blood was applied). Strips used: Chemstrip BG (or for the Glucochek AD version, Dextrostix could be used).

The second meter I had was the:

Glucometer M.

It has reading times of 1 minute. Here's a pic:

m01_sm.jpg

However, I think the "oldest" model is the Ames Reflectance meter, as shown on this site:

Diabetes Monitor

Even though those meters were "old school," they were a blessing at the time they were released. The other alternative was a visual test. Hope these help. ;)

archimeech

My first one was the Accu-Check. It took 2 minutes to read the strip. One minute of time with the blood sitting on the strip then wipe, one minute later it would read it. the only memory you had was taping all the strips to a piece of paper for rereading later. It would check the color of the 2 chemicals on the tip and give you the reading. Man, I had forgotten how much that maching sucked! lol

Barb

Here just about every Drug store even Costco will have Specials on the testers..you buy the strips and the unit is free...I just got a new one last month as my first one was getting a tad worn it was 11 years old ...it took for ever to get a reading now I have the Precision Extra

...this will do just fine for a nother little while...Also at our Local Hospital Diabetes clinic we can trade our units in for a newer one...

Zokes

I payed for one meter. My first one. Since then (1988) all have been free. My latest is the Ultra Smart. My endo gave me a coupon for a free one at my local pharmacy (CVS). I'm embarrassed to say, meech, I DID pay $30 for the cable to download to my laptop. :(

Dewey

Ahhh, bumping and pushing.....sounds like we're dancing! :D Every time I hear someone "say" doing the bump, I think of that song "Doing the Butt, Aye, Sexy, Sexy!" (can't remember who it's by...LOL - Maybe Cameo)! :D

UpNorth

Interresting topic:) I got my first meter for free, but did pay for my accu-chek compact. But then, we don't pay for the test strips here in sweden, same with insulin, lancetts, needles, syringes, pump supplies and pump. Everything is free, except for the BGmeter, which is usually quite cheap :1eye:

buzzborne
Interresting topic:) I got my first meter for free, but did pay for my accu-chek compact. But then, we don't pay for the test strips here in sweden, same with insulin, lancetts, needles, syringes, pump supplies and pump. Everything is free, except for the BGmeter, which is usually quite cheap :1eye:

That is the same with us we can get everything on prescription in the UK, BG meters I have only had to pay for one, as my clinic gave me my other 2 (werent really supposed to, but did it out of kindness!)

Though the pump isnt really exactly free... but you can get funding.

Funnygrl

A brief summary of the ways to get one for free:

1. Ask doctor/dietician/educator

2. Call company and ask

3. After coupon or rebates- especially if on sale at a store (watch ads)

4. With purchase of 100 or 50 strips

5. With trade-in

6. A combo of above ways

gettingby

Meech,hon, we are slacking. Hasn't been bumped since July. Maybe Tony could sticky it for the new members?? Just a thought.

Harold
Meech,hon, we are slacking. Hasn't been bumped since July. Maybe Tony could sticky it for the new members?? Just a thought.
Not Meech or Tony, but this thread has been successfully STUCK. Thought it would be better stuck than have pages of BUMPING. :pcguru:

gettingby
Not Meech or Tony, but this thread has been successfully STUCK. Thought it would be better stuck than have pages of BUMPING. :pcguru:

Thanks Harold. :adore: I really believe that this thread could be helpful to all members, especially the newly diagnosed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.