Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

archimeech

Don't Pay for a Glucometer unless you really want to(Not a Solicitation just FYI)

drewgolden

So the case for my OneTouch Ultra finally died: the zipper broke off.

I had the thing for like two years and I am SICK of paying extortionist rates for the test strips (is it me, or are ALL the strips now like $0.80 a test?)

So I went browsing on the web and read up on the FreeStyle Flash and was SHOCKED/HORRIFIED at how SMALL the thing was. And it has a LIGHT for night time testing? Wow!

So I noticed three things about it:

1.) They had, at some point, and offer where if you bought 100 test strips the meter came bundled, I can not find that offer any more.

2.) There are a number of what I suspect to be 'shady' operators who will bill your insurance for you and hook you up with strips on a monthly basis. I like to get them as needed and don't trust them.

3.) Froogle.com showed that Walgreens online had the meter for $9.99. In complete dis-belief, I ordered it.

One week later, the meter showed up at my door for ten bucks. Works like a champ and I was so pleased I went back to froogle to post the link here.

Guess what, after my order, they fixed the price back up to $74 bucks.

So the lesson is this: keep your eyes peeled for cheap deals on the meter you want.

And I must again say the Freestyle flash is SHOCKINGLY small! I am quite pleased!!!!!

Cheers,

drew

archimeech

It's good that you didn't pay the $74, but you still paid too much, Drew. Just about every endocrinologist and all Diabetes Educators should be able to hook you up with a free meter at any time without jumping through any hoops. If they don't have any on hand, then you get the sales rep's phone number and they can send you one. The strips are the hook, the meter should ALWAYS be free.

Again, read the initial post in this thread..........

:)

tiggrrrz

Hey all

I'm a canuck but, cannot comment on the price of the drugs here vs. elsewhere although I do recognize we are fairly lucky to have such great coverage and reduced prices. Don't ask me why drugs are less here.......I mean, isn't an orange an orange anywhere else?

Anywhooooo.....speaking of meters which, if I recall as it was almost 4 years ago, I think mine was almost free but, should I be replacing with a newer model? Mine is an Elite XL. Would the newer models more accurately test my blood? Are they less cumbersome or smaller or require less blood to test? What's the best meter out there with regards testing and portability?

And someone mentioned an Ascenscia Breeze and said it holds 10 discs......what's a disc?

Thanks for the heads up on the meters and testing supplies. Any buck saved with this expensive disease means alot to all of us! And I'm not just talking supplies.....it's expensive in the food arena too!

Cheers!

KickStart101

Hi Tiggrrrz: If I heard correctly, the drugs are cheaper here because the Govt. insists on it, that is in the agreement they have signed. Although I

have noticed they have risen a good bit in the past many years.

I have never paid for my meters. I usually get them free from my Endo, Dietician, Pharmacist(with the purchase of 100 strips, which our Insurance covers), etc. I was offered by a Friend, one of his Ascensia Breeze(he got 2

from his Endo), but I said "No thanks". I figure a person should have 2 of

the same one and I didn't want the disc(I didn't ask to see it, but later he

mentioned it sticks? occasionally).:dontknow: I like the Fast take, but I got

2 free upgrade card from One Touch, since my Fast Take is being discontinued and the Ultra is almost the same as my Fast Take. I did get the free Freestyle Mini/Flash last summer from my pharmasist. The Mini or Flash are almost the same, very small, light in back, etc. Most people like that meter. That's it.

Oh BTW, I would think oranges would be cheaper in the U.S.(Florida)

especially this time of year. :D Good Luck in your Choice.

tiggrrrz

Thanks Kick! Great information on that page you forwarded.

Re: oranges & Florida.......*sigh*.....yes, wish I was there!

Thanks again.

tiggrrrz

Hey hey all!

Sticky.......due to your invaluable advice, I will be receiving the Ultra Smart Touch System along with the software and a connector cable for my PC.

I emailed the company, asked if they could put me in touch with their local rep, who called me within a day, and he advised he'd be shipping the goods to me and I should receive it within a week.

As well, because I've heard these meters may have a problem with inaccurate readings, I'll try to keep you posted on this.

Thanks a bunch Sticky. You rock!

tiggrrrz

Well, I couldn't get the data cable but, I did get the Breeze with a disc of strips delivered by hand by a Bayer rep!

You guys gotta' try this! If Sticky hadn't mentioned this advantage I would have been stupid enough to buy the unit (aka the test strips) only to find out it either didn't suit my needs or wasn't what I wanted.

As well, I have emailed Roche for the Accu-Check Aviva System. Hopefully, this will also pan out as I'm looking for a suitable portable unit because my job takes me outside 90% of the time and I'm soooo sick of maneuvering those test strips.

How many times can I say thank you Sticky!

KickStart101
Well, I couldn't get the data cable but, I did get the Breeze with a disc of strips delivered by hand by a Bayer rep!

You guys gotta' try this! If Sticky hadn't mentioned this advantage I would have been stupid enough to buy the unit (aka the test strips) only to find out it either didn't suit my needs or wasn't what I wanted.

As well, I have emailed Roche for the Accu-Check Aviva System. Hopefully, this will also pan out as I'm looking for a suitable portable unit because my job takes me outside 90% of the time and I'm soooo sick of maneuvering those test strips.

How many times can I say thank you Sticky!

:D LOL. Okay I gotta butt in here. Please Stop thanking Sticky(although

that would be a cute nickname for a Diabetic). Thank Archimeech. He is the

one who stuck(called a sticky) that thread up there so it wouldn't move. :thumbsup: It will be interesting to see which one you end up using

most of the time. Carry on. :vroam:

archimeech
Hey hey all!

Sticky.......due to your invaluable advice, I will be receiving the Ultra Smart Touch System along with the software and a connector cable for my PC.

I emailed the company, asked if they could put me in touch with their local rep, who called me within a day, and he advised he'd be shipping the goods to me and I should receive it within a week.

As well, because I've heard these meters may have a problem with inaccurate readings, I'll try to keep you posted on this.

Thanks a bunch Sticky. You rock!

LMAO! who is Sticky? I think you have the type of post this is confused. It is a "sticky" post, as in, the little peices of paper 3M made famous that you write a note on and stick to something. Very cute, though; I've been called a lot of things, but never sticky! oh my ;)

Lynpenny

I went to Wichita to see the diabetes doctor today and she gave me an accu-check Avia. I can always use a back up meter. Let you know later if I like it.

someone

You don't even need to go through your educator. Just call the meter company, tell them you are on another meter and you would like to try theirs, but don't want to pay for it. I can almost assure you they will send you some sort of coupon for a free meter, or actually send the free meter. I just contacted precision because I wanted an Xtra, and they did not even hesitate to send me the coupons.

firemangtp

:dito:

I was just about to say this too.

When I saw the One Touch Ultra and wanted it, I just called the number of the back of my old one touch I was using and told them I was currently using Acu-chek Brand but my insurance gave be better co-pays on thiers, and wanted to try an Ultra out.

The sales rep was like- "um... ok, whats your name/address.. Oh I see you have used a Profile before, yeah, I can send you an Ultra." :thumbsup:

I also got an Acucheck meter the same way, just swap the names around. :evil:

I just laugh when I see the ridiculous prices they sell for in the stores.

The companies get a FORTUNE out of selling the teststrips. They should be mailing the meters to anyone who asks!

decimaldancer

So when I was at the CDE's today anyway (3 month check) I was glancing at her shelf and she said, "Do you see anything you want?" I said I would like to try the FreeStyle and she gave it to me.

Unfortunately she didn't have any strips so I am going to have to get my doctor to write a script for them somehow.

Ritehsedad

I ride my bike to work whenever I can. I have an Accu-Chek compact and have to take it back and forth to work. On Monday I emailed Accu-Chek and told them I would like to have a second meter to leave at work and that I really didn't want to buy a second...

They're sending me a new accu-chek compact.

Phranky

Good point!

In Canada we get everything for free....I actually got two meters, micro-lancets and strips for free as I wanted one for home and one for my office.

Who wants to carry everything around...

Cheers....

middnite03
I have been a Type 2 for many years. I am in need of a new meter...but I have never found a free one!

call any meter company abbot, accu-check.. they will send you one free.....

Phranky
Are you serious? You get strips for free without insurance?

Yes, here in the Great White North, we're all covered by OHIP, or some provincial plan (that is people in Ontario - the Ontario Health Insurance Program). Now, I don't know whether it's my company drug plan that covers this or OHIP, but I get everything for free.

Any other Canucks answer this? Do we get the strips for free or would this be a drug plan?

Cheers,

Phranky

playdoh_tx

I notice everyone here seems to be talking about insulin and strips and whatnot....anyone got a way (hello Canada :call: ) go get a Byetta pen for less than $80? My wife is on (I think) Glipizide, Avandia and Metformin for her Type II. I'll split the savings with ya! :wink:

irina140

I'm readin all these posts and thinking: lucky you who has the insurance that covers everything. I don't have one and have to look for all those free deals myself. The sad thing is most of those free deals will still require a prescription. For example I found this link on this forum:

http://contourmeter.capturepoint.com - offers a free meeter, but as it turns out, it requires a prescription.

and whoever has RiteAid stores around, this week's flyer advertised an Ultra meeter for $30 with $30 mail-in rebate. The offer is good for the week of March 4-10.

So far I found out that ebay is the cheepest source for the strips.Also this store has pretty good prices on them: http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com

Please keep posting free meeter deals here. Or better yet, send the info on cheap test strips.

Also if you have any usused strips that are about to expire and you know you'll never use them anyway, I'll gladly accept them (will pay for shipping)

palefacegirl03
I'm readin all these posts and thinking: lucky you who has the insurance that covers everything. I don't have one and have to look for all those free deals myself. The sad thing is most of those free deals will still require a prescription. For example I found this link on this forum:

http://contourmeter.capturepoint.com - offers a free meeter, but as it turns out, it requires a prescription.

I called the 800 number for this meter and they sent me the meter by Fedex in less than a week. No prescription was needed. The number is 1-800-348-8100

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.