Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

archimeech

Don't Pay for a Glucometer unless you really want to(Not a Solicitation just FYI)

psilocybin

well my ultrasmart is faulty, so they are sendingme an ultrasmart and a one touch ultra !!! free ofcharge...atleast something good came out of this =/

palefacegirl03

i just got off the phone with AccuCheck, told them I would like to try the Aviva ( however it is spelled ) and they are sending me one out today Fedex overnight , so I should have it tommorow.:cool:

KickStart101
Yes, here in the Great White North, we're all covered by OHIP, or some provincial plan (that is people in Ontario - the Ontario Health Insurance Program). Now, I don't know whether it's my company drug plan that covers this or OHIP, but I get everything for free.

Any other Canucks answer this? Do we get the strips for free or would this be a drug plan?

Cheers,

Phranky

Hi Phranky, well as far as your drugs or strips, etc., either the

Company you work for pays for it all(as my Hubbie's does) or they

take a bit off your check every month usually(it should show on your

paystub).

Senior Citizens get a cheque of course and I think they pay $2.00

for each prescription also people who are on disability and Welfare/

Ontario works. If people are on EI they get a portion of what their

last jobs pay was and I think drug coverage(not sure on that). None

of these Folks pay taxes.

This is a portion of what your taxes are paying for:

http://www.university.ca/eng/canadainfo/healthcare/onthealth.htm

Each Province and Territory has it's own Health Insurance Plan.

KickStart101

OOPPS, as you probably know ALL Canadians are covered

under the Health Insurance Plan. Diabetics, etc. still do not

pay anything to see the Ophthamologist. I think they

added a small fee for normal people recently. My Daughter

said she had to pay $28. to see her eye Doc in Nov. :ahhhhh:

I know where we are heading.

I would recommend that you get Insurance if you travel

out of Canada however, if you end up needing Medical Care.

I remember we went to New York and as we were driving I

happened to take a reaction in the car. Luckily Hubbie

noticed, stopped the car at a restaurant and got me a big

glass of OJ. Our Friends said we were lucky I didn't end up

in the Hospital there. Didn't even think about Insurance.

OHIP covers very little out side of Canada.

palefacegirl03

I got the Aviva from Fedex just a little while ago, and they sent me a bottle of 50 strips to get started.

irina140
I got the Aviva from Fedex just a little while ago, and they sent me a bottle of 50 strips to get started.

Wow!!

palefacegirl03,You know how to find deals!!

how do you find all those deals and how did you get that aviva for free with strips?

palefacegirl03
Wow!!

palefacegirl03,You know how to find deals!!

how do you find all those deals and how did you get that aviva for free with strips?

I just called AccuChek's number 1-800-858-8072 and I told them that I was interested in trying that meter. I have 2 other Accuchek meters , so just asked if they would send me an Aviva so that I could try it out.

Call any of the meter companies customer service numbers and just ask. Tell them you are thinking about switching meters and would like to try theirs. Accuchek is the only one that has sent me 50 strips, the others just have the 10-25 that come with the meters. It cant hurt to call. Also sign up for emails or whatever on the websites and they send out coupons sometimes.

I got a coupon from the Dlife site for a free Freestyle flash a couple of months ago.

arath13

ADC Patient Assistance >>>ONLY COMPANY TO OFFER THIS!! It is suppose to be for people w/ no insurance or insurance that do not cover testing supplies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the phone# 866-972-7863

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

palefacegirl03
ADC Patient Assistance >>>ONLY COMPANY TO OFFER THIS!! It is suppose to be for people w/ no insurance or insurance that do not cover testing supplies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the phone# 866-972-7863

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried calling, long hold time. Left a message for call back, will try again tommorow.

playdoh_tx

My wife needs to have a second meter so she can have one at work and one at home. I don't want her to have two different brands since I want to make sure the results are as consistent as possible. After reading this thread (and getting my hopes up), I called Abbott (she decided she'd like to try the Freestyle Flash). The rep I spoke to was very polite and helpful...but alas, no free meters. Just told me that the best they can do is a $40 rebate...and that's offered to everyone! The going rate for a Flash meter around here is $80. Any suggestions? Her second choice was the Precision Xtra.

middnite03

give me a day or 2, I will post a free meter coupon you can download, and take into any store, or a freestyle flash.... Ijust need a day or 2 to scan it and get it posted.........

Penny

My insurance company, that I was complaining about before, sent me a new Ascensia Contour and 200 extra strips. All I did was mention I wouldn't mind having another one to keep in my purse. Really they are doing a pretty good job helping me out and asking little in exchange.....just in case your insurance co. asks you to join one of their programs:)

Tim_Roy
Ahhh, bumping and pushing.....sounds like we're dancing! :D Every time I hear someone "say" doing the bump, I think of that song "Doing the Butt, Aye, Sexy, Sexy!" (can't remember who it's by...LOL - Maybe Cameo)! :D

Actually there was a dance called "The Bump" back in the late 70s disco era. And yeah, the idea was generally the same.

Cowboy69

I was here about a month ago and someone had posted a coupon for a free freestyle meter now i cant seem to find the post. if anybody knows where it is could you please post the link to the thread. i have tried calling a few of the companys and so far no luck, i'm starting to think only way i'm going to get a meter is with coupon for one. anyways if anyone knows where that thread is or has any info on where i can get coupon for a free meter i'd surely appreciate you letting me know . thanks in advance

jeggeman31
i have tried calling a few of the companys and so far no luck,

What do you tell the people that talk to you ? I flat out tell them I have no insurance, and pay cash for my strips. I test 8 to 10 times a day and If you won't provide me with a free meter (because I like yours) I will go to a company that will provide me with one, and they can have all my money

I have not had one turn me down yet.

Cowboy69

i have told them i have no insurance and have to pay cash for all my supplies so far best offer was for 40 to 50 buxx off , maybe i'll try adding what you said "If you won't provide me with a free meter (because I like yours) I will go to a company that will provide me with one, and they can have all my money" and see how that goes. thanks

Dewey
I was here about a month ago and someone had posted a coupon for a free freestyle meter now i cant seem to find the post. if anybody knows where it is could you please post the link to the thread. i have tried calling a few of the companys and so far no luck, i'm starting to think only way i'm going to get a meter is with coupon for one. anyways if anyone knows where that thread is or has any info on where i can get coupon for a free meter i'd surely appreciate you letting me know . thanks in advance

Did you mean this thread??

Free Meter Offer

Diana

I have scored 4 free meters now (over a period of years, that is!) What I have done is call company A, tell them that I have a meter from company B, that I'm a pumper who uses many strips a day, but really like the look of their meter better, and would they be abe to send me a freebie? Once they said they couldnt send me a freebie of the one I wanted, but offered me an older meter. I just polietly said "oh no, thats ok, I'll just stick with my company B meter instead, but thank you anyway" They put me on hold, talked to a supervisor, and got me the freebie I wanted. I dont know exactly how it works in America, but over here it is really the strips they want to sell, so if they know that you are a requent tester they are normally pretty happy to give you a meter so you use their strips. Now I work in a NDSS (diabetes services) chemist, where we sell a lot of meters. Theres a new meter coming out anytime now that my boss has already organised a freebie for me of. =) Im in meter heaven.

Keep in mind that if you have T2 diabetes or dont tests often, you are less likely to get a freebie, as they realise that you may not be using as many strips. But I'd try it anyway!

archimeech

Well done, Diana. It's the same in the States, except it's easier to get a free meter. The local sales reps for the meter companies will hand them out freely. They make a killing on the strips, so why should any of us ever pay for a meter. I'm moving soon and started packing up the house. I've just started to pack up all of my Diabetes supplies that I don't use on a regular basis. I took inventory of my back-up meter supply and realized that I have about 10 un-opened meters sitting in my big basket of goodies just waiting for me to put a strip into. Half of them, I didn't even ask for. the companies jsut send them to me. I'm every drug pushers dream junkie. I go through about 300 strips a month, and they're all salivating at the thought of getting me hooked on their meter. :)

cherokee_psh
My wife needs to have a second meter so she can have one at work and one at home. I don't want her to have two different brands since I want to make sure the results are as consistent as possible. After reading this thread (and getting my hopes up), I called Abbott (she decided she'd like to try the Freestyle Flash). The rep I spoke to was very polite and helpful...but alas, no free meters. Just told me that the best they can do is a $40 rebate...and that's offered to everyone! The going rate for a Flash meter around here is $80. Any suggestions? Her second choice was the Precision Xtra.

Have you tried dLife? I signed up there and also signed my mother up both of us received little welcome kits (you have to request these on the dLife values page a gift from the diabetes shoppe) that included a coupon for a free freestyle flash or feestyle meter.

archimeech
Have you tried dLife? I signed up there and also signed my mother up both of us received little welcome kits (you have to request these on the dLife values page a gift from the diabetes shoppe) that included a coupon for a free freestyle flash or feestyle meter.

My suggestion is you tell that rep (or better, call the company and tell them about your rep), that they are about to lose a customer, and the cost of another meter surely would be less than the cost to the company for losing a lifelong customer.

Do you have a Diabetes Educator? they usually have a closet full of meters. The last time I was at my DE, she gave me 2 Ultra-Smart meters, and they had a ton of the Freestyles there as well. Unfortunately, my insurance won't cover the Freestyle strips, I rather prefer their system to the Ultra.

BAColeNC

I was diagnosed 6 weeeks ago and my Dr gave me a scrip for a meter and enough strips/lancets for 1 year. When I called my Health Insurance to see what ones they covered, they put me in touch with thier mail prescriptin service and I got an Accu-chek Aviva free with 90 days of supplies total cost to me $56

JasonJayhawk

I found this from a "freebie" message board.

Anyone looking to try a different FREE meter from Bayer, go here:

http://www.bayermeters.com/

At the bottom of the page, select either the Breeze or the Contour "upgrade." They will send one to you.

It will help to say that your insurance pays for your strips, that you test a lot per day, and, well, give information that would indicate that you are a diabetic ---- and not someone who is attempting to get a freebie only to resell on eBay because you think it's worth $50 (funny thing is this meters aren't selling for $1 on eBay, so HAH on the non-diabetics trying to get something for nothing!).

Note: They require 15 seconds to report a result, and require about 3 microliters of blood. I'm glad I was able to "sample" the meter, but my own use of this meter has resulted in just moving the batteries to my current glucose meter (hee hee).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.