Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

archimeech

Don't Pay for a Glucometer unless you really want to(Not a Solicitation just FYI)

Diana

I'm in Australia and I just got a phone call from Accuchek. They were calling to see how my Accuchek go was working, and I told them that I had changed to a different meter, which is by a different company (freestyle papillon mini by Abbott). So then they offered to send me out a free Accuchek Integra, which is a newer machine by them! Ok, so will wait to get that in the mail sometime in the next week or so...

So, this is a list of the meters I have now received free... Accuchek go, 2 Medisense optium xceeds, caresens, freestyle papillon, and now an integra. I work in a pharmacy that does a lot of diabetes stuff, so that is how I scored one of the xceeds, and the papillon. The others have been from calling the companies and asking nicely, except for this last one.

I think meter companies like pumpers..

MJB

The current Diabetes mag at Walgreens has a bunch of meter coupons in it.

Next time I get my refill scrip for 50 test strips ($12 with insurance) I'm gonna get a backup Freestyle Flash for free.

Penny

I just got my free Ultra2 One Touch. I think it is from the place online that Brian sent us to. It only takes 5 seconds, but seems a bit complicated. I have just used it once though, so maybe need to give it more of a chance. I love the little case that comes with it though, and the sticker is really nice. I will have to see if my doctor will give my next prescription for strips for the One Touch. Are some more expensive than others? Will my insurance not want to pay for them?

gettingby
I just got my free Ultra2 One Touch. I think it is from the place online that Brian sent us to. It only takes 5 seconds, but seems a bit complicated. I have just used it once though, so maybe need to give it more of a chance. I love the little case that comes with it though, and the sticker is really nice. I will have to see if my doctor will give my next prescription for strips for the One Touch. Are some more expensive than others? Will my insurance not want to pay for them?

I have the UltraSmart and it is one of the meters that my insurance covers. Check with your insurance company. I know that mine has their formulary on their website. Maybe yours does too.

I personally love the One Touch line. I'm looking into getting a U2 or the mini. Of course, I think Spike may have had some trouble with the mini. I'll have to email him and find out.

Penny
I have the UltraSmart and it is one of the meters that my insurance covers. Check with your insurance company. I know that mine has their formulary on their website. Maybe yours does too.

I personally love the One Touch line. I'm looking into getting a U2 or the mini. Of course, I think Spike may have had some trouble with the mini. I'll have to email him and find out.

Cin, Did you go to the site that was posted by Brian? I took their survey about 3 weeks ago, and the Ultra2 came today.

gettingby
Cin, Did you go to the site that was posted by Brian? I took their survey about 3 weeks ago, and the Ultra2 came today.

No I didn't but I probably will.

tina222

Thanks for the information. I've just been diagnosed and I was told that not all meters are accurate and the self calibrating ones are best . Can someone e-mail me about this. I understand that 2 companies on the internet will send one free. How do I get the lancets and lancet holder? alvinandtina@earthlink.net

sweetcheeks

they come with it, but you can buy more lancets for about 10 bucks

but you generally all you need in the kits you get for free, just to get you started, i personally love the one touch ultra2 and my mini

JanTx

At endo's office today I asked if they had an abundance of meters. Told them that the UltraSmart they gave me at the last visit had sticky buttons - you have to hit it just right to get it to go. (I've used an US since they first came out and knew this wasn't typical of the meter.) Anyway, to the cabinet she went and I have a new one. The other one is usable, just not convenient so I'll leave it at work. The one I had before that had a pitted screen from where I droped an alcohol pad on it. (I've e-mailed LifeTouch about both these problems and have received no reply.)

Anyway - as has been said - ask, ask, ask! FreeStyle's were stacked in the corner - no room in the cabinet!

71lifeliner

Hey gang hope everyone is doin ok.One I wanted to say Merry Christmas. The other is I use Fred's Pharmacy for all my scripts. I went in the other day and they are giving away Tru-trak meters for free. I know a tru-trak is not the easiest or best meter to use but hey it is free. They ask no questions ,I asked about it and they handed me one. Just thought you would like to know. Before this I wanted to try a trutrak because a friend had one and he liked it. So I contacted the trutrak company and asked if they had any specials or coupons for getting one at a reasonable price. They emailed me back and asked for my addres. I sent it to them and 3 days later I had 300 strips,lancets a new meter and 2 bottles of control solution. If you add that up it is a good chunk of change for 300 strips. They sent it all to me for free.Just thought you would like to know.

Meters I have gotten free through the years:

Basic One TOuch

2-tru-trak

2-Ascensia Contour

3-One touch Ultra2

1-One touch ultra

Plus just started getting my supplies from an online svc and they are sending me another ultra2.

Rebecca

All I do is look up the manufactures phone numbers, ring them up and tell them that I want to try such and such meter, and that I test between 12-26 times per day (I am on a insulin pump, and I am severely hypo-unaware) and they send me the meter(s) that I want to try and a sampling of 50 strips.

I have gotten a Accu-Chek Aviva kit, a Therasense Freestyle Freedom, and such like that, and enough strips to give a good opinion (sorry guys I like my Freestyle CoZmonitor which hooks to the back of my CoZmo pump).

sherlynn01

my daugther has three meters and we have never paid for any of them. She has a freestyle freedom, she has a contour, one touch ultra2 . It is them strips that cost an arm and a leg.

ShannonM

I have just started testing my bs was jsut diagnosed in Jan and I am very interested in the one touch system if it really works as good as it says it does. I am having problems testing my fingers not getting enough blood flow. Do any of you use this one touch machine? do you like it? I am seeing a diabetes teacher for the first time next week so maybe she will have a some samples? I just got a ton of these testing strips so I hate to put them to waste but if its a good tester I would gladly get it. Thanks for the help

Hugs

Shannon

sweetcheeks

IMO one touch line is the best on the market... however that being said, it depends on your situation, such as type 1 pumpers who test alot more, or want something to go with there pump vs just a type 2 that doesnt require insulin, i have gotten several meters for free, and if i dont like the feel of it in my hand or otherwise, i wont use it..... if i was going brand wise here is my list, keep in mind ive yet to get me a free freestyle, because my insurance wont pay for there strips... im gonna list them as third cause they do seem pretty and i think i would like how they feel

#1 - One touch

#2 - Accucheck

#3 - Freestyle

#4 - all others...

The ultra 2 to me is very easy to use

stick the strip in, change the code up or down when needed, poke your finger, test, once you test you can just change the button up to make it a before meal or after meal, if it doesnt fall into that category then you dont choose anything, or you can choose other reason for the test by hitting the down button such as feeling hypo, mild excercise, too much food etc. and you just hit ok after each selection

but dont forget if you test with control solution after sticking the strip in, youll see the apply blood screen, just hit the up button and it changes to apply solution, if you dont do this then a control test will be in your meter averages

DeusXM

Thought I'd just update this with a bit of info for UK-based posters. Lifescan are currently doing an upgrade programme where you can get a free Ultra2 monitor - just visit LifeScan United Kingdom -- Free Upgrade to OneTouch Ultra2 and fill in the forms.

However, if you're feeling smart, you'll probably want the UltraSmart, which is a much more feature-laden meter. Just call 0800 121200 and tell them you're interested in trying out the UltraSmart. They'll ask if you want to buy it - just say you're interested in trialling it out. They'll take your details and ask you how many times a day you test. If you're doing your job right, be honest - anything over 6 times a day is 'a lot' to them and they'll agree that the UltraSmart is the best monitor for you and they'll send one out to you.

I also tried to blag a free USB cable too but the woman was very apologetic and said she couldn't do that. Even when I said, "Come on, we both know that you're making your money on the strips, not the cables." HOWEVER - 2 minutes after I'd got off the phone to them, they gave me a call back and said that they'd be happy to include a free USB cable as a gesture of goodwill. So in other words, I've just saved myself about £30 and got everything I need. Just remember when you're on the phone that deep down they really want you to have the monitor and they're quite happy to pony them up for free if they think they can get a prescription out of you - and if you're UK-based, remember, you don't have to pay for those either!

If it helps, I spoke to 'Henrietta', so it might be worth asking for her since she knows the procedure.

DeusXM

By the way, also works for the Freestyle monitors too - call 0500 467 466, tell them you want to trial a monitor and that you test 8-12 a day. They can't wait to send you one.

ShannonM

Well I finally found a BS tester that I liked, and that had all the features I wanted and some even that I didn’t even think about using. It’s the Onetouch Ultrasmart!! ATM I use Accu-chek and I don’t like it. So I used the advice from this forum and called One touch and explained I had just gotten diagnosed in January and I was interested in getting a new monitor from them and wanted to know if they would give me one.

I got a HUGE attitude from the lady who answered the phone. She said well I don’t know anyone who would “GIVE AWAY” a free monitor. So I was like well hmm ok then and was about to hang up and she took all my info down and asked me hold on for a second. So I did and she came back on the phone in less then 10 sec all of a sudden being all sugar and honey saying it was NP at all and they would be sending me out my monitor today and I will get it in 3 to 5 days!! LOL!!! WOOHOOO

Someone must have had a talking to her while she had me on hold cause her whole attitude changed!

The sad thing is yesterday I lost my insurance!! So I don’t know how I am going to be able to pay for my rx’s that cost more then $700 a month!! I am searching everywhere online and in RL looking for organizations or people who help out low income people get there rx’s. If anyone knows anything about programs or people who will help out in situations like this please let me know ASAP!!! I really need it!! My doctor didn’t mean it but he really screwed up my refills and instead of having a month to fix this I only have 2 weeks till I will have to refill my patch meds, which are like $150! Anyway thanks so much again for letting me know about all these meters and how I can get it for free cause now I got one on the way and it looks SO cool!!! /does happy dance.

Hugs

Shannon

:D:flowers::party:

JasonJayhawk

Shanon,

Sounds like you got a "BG" (blood glucose meter -- maybe she thought you were asking for a "BS" detector, which you already have. :-) (It's hard not to snicker when I see people checking their "BS" levels -- I'm thinking, "You need a meter for that?!"

Okay, joke aside, have you read the "Freebies for You and Me" thread? There is a link in there on how to get a free Ultra2, Ultrasmart, or (if you're patient enough to find the insurance company that offers it), the Onetouch mini-pen (I think only 1 or 2 of the companies offer that). You can order it and not even talk to a human.

You can also order a Bayer meter that way.

I know it won't help with your insurance costs, but maybe you can find cheaper strips from an on-line pharmacy.

ladytaz

Shannon, there is also Rx Outreach Patient Assistance Program for Discount Prescription Drugs . They only dispense generics, and they don't have EVERY med out there, but they send you 3 months worth for either $20 or $30 ... depending upon the 'class' of drug it is. I used this for a year, until Wal-Mart came out with their $4 generic drug plan, and I could get my Metformin and Glipizide I was on at the time, cheaper that way ;) I loved the place tho! When you're up for refill, just call them (if you have a credit or checkcard) and with in a week you'll have your meds (usually had mine in about 4 days!!) I think when I signed up, it only took 10 days at most!

As for strips, there is NO help out there! And it's a SHAME too, cuz that's my most expensive expenditure, next to the doc. I have been using an online pharmacy place, where you can get 50 strips for $41 and some change to your door, or 100 for $74 and some change (I think it is), to your door. There is also eBay. I just bought 100 strips from someone there for $47 to my door! NOW, you'd best be stocked up a bit (at LEAST a weeks worth of strips, better yet two weeks) before you buy from eBay, since the sellers aren't speedy on the shipping! Took me a week to get them! THE day I was to run out of strips!! I think I had 2 strips left when they came in the mail!

I dont have insurance either, so know exactly where you're coming from here! ;) It's 'spensive to be diabetic! ;)

Good Luck!

JasonJayhawk

Just a heads up on the Rx prescription plan assistance prices.

Those "free" services that ask for $5 to help get you drug assistance are actually doing the same paperwork that you could do on your own (for no cost). Most people, however, are too lazy to take the paperwork to their doctor, or too lazy to ask the doctor to send it in. (It takes time).

But be aware, if you qualify (based on last year's taxes) for free drug assistance, go directly to the manufacturer -- there is no need to go through a third party (that may charge a "$5 processing fee).

You can find out who has drug assistance directly from your doctor, or from the manufacturer (by calling them).

ladytaz
Just a heads up on the Rx prescription plan assistance prices.

Those "free" services that ask for $5 to help get you drug assistance are actually doing the same paperwork that you could do on your own (for no cost). Most people, however, are too lazy to take the paperwork to their doctor, or too lazy to ask the doctor to send it in. (It takes time).

But be aware, if you qualify (based on last year's taxes) for free drug assistance, go directly to the manufacturer -- there is no need to go through a third party (that may charge a "$5 processing fee).

You can find out who has drug assistance directly from your doctor, or from the manufacturer (by calling them).

Very true Jason! RX Outreach doesnt charge you a dime! :) And they don't wanna know nuttin either! Don't have to send them in any previous tax forms or none of that. All they ask for is your Name, Address, Phone, Income, how many people live in the household, your Social Security Number, and of course the prescription for each med you are requesting (with at least 3 months worth, and enough refills for up to a year) Pay for your scripts ... and bam, they send it out to ya .... well if you meet their income limits, which are very good by the way, or so I thought! :) My problem is that I don't work, and havent for a few years, so I have no tax returns or pay stubs to show. I'm not married, so my hubby(YES, we call eachother hubby n wife ... we are, just don't have a peice of paper to say so ;)) so he's not legally responsible for me. Some of the pharmaceutical companies want to know WAY too much info in my opinion! It's NON of their business how much my kids make, or anyone else who's living in my home! It's not THEIR responsibility to take care of MY medical needs! ;) So, that's why I liked RX Outreach so much! Easy, don't ask for more info than they need, nice friendly people, affordable, and quick service ;)

irina140

Does anyone know if there is a discounted insulin somewhere? Any web sites or stores that would send you a 90 day supply of insulin (similar ot RX outreach that was discussed here?)

JasonJayhawk
Does anyone know if there is a discounted insulin somewhere? Any web sites or stores that would send you a 90 day supply of insulin (similar ot RX outreach that was discussed here?)

I'm not familiar with "RX outreach", but if you'd like to mail-order insulin, it depends on your state/country's laws and the type of insulin you want to order. Some insulin does not require a prescription (e.g., regular, NPH) in most states.

Hocks.com is just one of many sites that sell insulin on-line. If you have Rx medication, try Walmart.com or drugstore.com -- you just mail your Rx in to them and they'll mail them.

As far as insulin that is discounted, I haven't heard of it. Only free insulin for those who qualify. They don't make it easy because they want to keep it limited to the people who are willing to jump through the hoops and paperwork and who officially qualify.

Oh, I forgot to mention: for prescription patient assistance programs, in order to make sure you really qualify, the insulin (or whatever various drug) will only be delivered to your doctor's office. You then pick it up from the doctor.

This keeps the drug company safe from passing out insulin to everyone and their dog. It also keeps you safe in knowing that it gets stored in the doctor's office after delivery, letting you pick it up at a time that is good for you. It also gives the doctor knowledge that you're on a patient assistance program, and they'll likely give you the discounts that insurance companies are privi to (if your doctor is kind).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.