Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

archimeech

Don't Pay for a Glucometer unless you really want to(Not a Solicitation just FYI)

ShannonM

Thanks for all the advice on how to get free meds. Luckly I am only on one diabetic med. But I am on 8 meds total. And together they cost $700. Thats what I am panicing over. I have filled out every online form I can find and called every company I can find as well. But with your advice I will call the ones you listed tomorrow and see if there is any new people I can beg for help. My hubby will be working full time by Aug so I only need help to cover meds till then. But it seems like a very long time to wait till then now. :(

But thank you all so much for your support and if you know of anything else please let me know. My email is shannonamorgan@yahoo.com and on yahoo IM shannonamorgan

Hugs

Shannon

ladytaz

Shannon, do check out RX Outreach ... you can look up your meds, download the form and all that online, then fill it out, get your prescriptions from your doctor, and mail it in. When you need refills, just call them (if you have a check card or credit card) and they'll get them sent right out to ya! If they don't have all your meds, check out Needy Meds .... they have a list by brand name of meds, and link to the assitance applications for each med by Brand Name: Brand Name List and by Generic Name: Generic Name List

Good Luck hun!

ShannonM

Thanks so much again for the info I have found all my meds on the Needy Meds site. SO I am printing up and filling out a million forms now. My only worry is my Dr's in the past have not been that great about filling out paperwork for me. But hopefully if I tell them I am going to be out of meds they will help me out faster!!

I really cant thank you all enough. You all have been so kind and helpful and supportive to me. If there is ever anything I can do to help you please let me know.

Hugs

Shannon :)

ladytaz

You're welcome Shannon!

As for the docs .... tell them, "listen, I dont have insurance anymore, and if I have to pay full price to get these meds, it won't happen, I won't get them because I can't afford them ... are you concerned about my health, do you care?? Keeping me healthy is SUPPOSED to be your job! I'm trying to keep myself healthy, but my finances and lack of insurance are going to make that quite difficult! Please take a few moments from your busy day and help me out here!"

In all reallity, docs don't usually do the paperwork filling out ... thier desk people do it, and they just do the signing where needed ;) So if need be, pester the crap out of them too! LOL

Also, ask them (the docs) about getting samples!! Docs often give out samples to patients without insurance, if they have them! Especially while you're in that waiting period for the forms and stuff!!

Good Luck Shannon!

ClaireZk

Right on archimeech,

I wholeheartedly agree. Maybe its because I'm young and medical professionals assume I have no money (which is true), but I always leave the Endo with free loot!

Last time I was there I asked for a meter. He opened up a cabinet and said "Which one do you want?" I chose the UltraSmart but he had EVERYTHING. Then I found out that Animas was giving me 2 more meters with my pump (another UltraSmart and an UltraMini).

Endo always gives me 2 bottles of insulin and when Glucerna came out they sent me home with 2 shopping bags stuffed with shakes and boxes of bars. I needed help carrying it out! :D

For those who don't have insurance- mention it to all your drs. They know how expensive meds are and they'll hook you up. I went 1 year without insurance and it didn't cost me that much more than what I pay now in copays, because I got so many handouts! It never hurts to ask... or beg (and then accept the handouts shamelessly, of course) :smile:

gypsy

Hey, just for you out there.....ask your family doctor if they don't have the pen and novalog samples and a monitor. I work for a family practice and we get samples of all to hand out all the time. A rep comes by our office and leaves samples and as for the monitors she usually leaves 6 or 7 each visit. The kind we get just hook up to our office computer and we can print out the months record from it for them ...or whenever they come by with it.

someone

Does anyone here know where I can get some free flash meters? I sent them an email, but they will probably only give me a coupon for one. I need at least 3 of them.

JasonJayhawk

Is there any good reason you need three? (e.g., for some sort of donation or something of good cause?) If so, I'm sure that if you call them, they might help out.

However, if it's just to have one in each room of your house, I doubt they'd see it as good enough reason.

I actually have three "Free meter" cards from Abbott for the Freestyle/Freestyle Feredom/Precision Xtra meters just sitting here next to me (inching their way closer and closer to the trashcan).

They require a doctor's prescription for one of those three meters; you just take the prescription and the card in to a pharmacy, and you walk out with a meter. If you can manage to get a doctor to write you three separate prescriptions for each of the cards, contact me, and I'll mail the free "coupons" to you. I don't see myself needing them since it takes work getting a doctor to write a script out for them!

I believe I received them from various dLife mailings.

ClaireZk
Is there any good reason you need three? (e.g., for some sort of donation or something of good cause?) If so, I'm sure that if you call them, they might help out.

However, if it's just to have one in each room of your house, I doubt they'd see it as good enough reason.

I have 3 meters (soon to be 4), all free and all from LifeScan. I keep them all around my house, because I'm a compulsive tester and I don't like to run around looking for a meter each time.

I have found that these companies LOVE to give away free meters, because the more meters people are using, the more strips they sell.

caswellhb

This is the same for Brits. We can get meters free on prescription or, if we want a particular type, just call the company concerned and they will send out a full kit. If you want software, cable etc. just ask when you call and you can get it all free as well.

Heather.

did2007

I have done the prescription assistance for about 2 years, and if i'm not sure, Lilly usually sends a voucher for Humulin products for you to send to the pharmacy. But make sure you have a prescription for the insulin though because they won't fill it without a prescription. Anyways, i'd always take the voucher and my prescription to Rite Aid. All the other insulin companies will send it to the doc's office. I used to be on Humulin 70/30 so I know how to get that.

Anyways, if you don't have insurance, do like I do....go to the free clinic in your area (it's not really that free anymore, but it'll save you about $80-90 a visit). I usually get free test strips through my doctor because they know that i'm poor (100 at a time)...and i'm on patient assistance too.

The State of Alabama really don't have a good Medicaid program so i'm not eligible for the program. BCBS had a special for uninsured people, but it costs $160 a month and I had to pay a $2000 deductible before anything would be paid for. Plus, since I was already a diabetic, it wouldn't take care of it because it was a "preexisting condition" and I would have to wait a year. So I canceled the insurance in the first month--and $160 was kinda hard to get up without a job each month.

I'm in the process of becoming a teacher and i'll have insurance in a little over a year from now paid for by the state (as long as I get hired) and still I wouldn't have insurance for my diabetes for a year. I would have a question about that because the medicine companies won't let me get free prescriptions while I have insurance (even if it don't pay for the medicine). So that'll be an "out of pocket" expense that's like $100 a bottle that lasts for about 10 days--unless I can get free samples until I get fully insured.

Anyways, free clinics are good while you don't have insurance.

did2007

I had some good news today. First off, I got my denial letter from Medicaid (They only would give me coverage if I had children under 19 years old--in which I never had children) and so I can go further in getting some assistance in getting some discounted or free test strips without worry from my doctor. Also, I had been waiting on maybe a certificate from One Touch for the remaining 25 strips that they were supposed to give me when I got my Ultra 2 monitor. I called cs today and they told me they would ship out the remaining 25 strips plus a usb data wire for my monitor. So i'm happy :) right now that i'm temporarily have been helped out.

did2007

I just got my 25 strips and my usb cable for my one touch ultra. They shipped pretty quickly knowing that Monday was a holiday.

Crystaldreams

I don't know if this has been posted before but if someone else has posted about this then I'm sorry. I just wanted to let you all know that I was able to get a free computer cable for my meter the other day for Ascensia Contour. I called them up and told them that I tested alot and that my doctor says that I need to get the computer cord and software for my meter so I can keep better track of my levels and then they told me that it costed like 16 dollars. I told them that I don't have the money and that my home health care delivery place said that if I can't get a cord from them that they will switch me to another brand that does come with the cord since they only carry the ascensia strips and they told me to hold on and that they were gonna switch me over to the promotions department who came on the phone and said that he understood that I needed a free computer cord and started asking me for my info and told me the website to download the software and I'll recieve the cord in 7-10 days. So I figured that I would share with everyone what I did so that maybe it can help out someone else. Thank you so much everyone also for all your help.

stech1

This may be covered somewhere here, I am not sure, but I just got a free OneTouich UltraSmart monitor using this: (this is different than the free offer from the same company that offers only the ultra2 or ultra mini)

FREE One Touch Blood Glucose Monitor- Ultra 2, Ultra Smart, or Ultra Mini - GottaDeal.com Forums

I followed the three steps in the post and got confirmation that they were shipping out the meter, free of charge.

Darkmindead

I called 18664970158 and was given a choice of an ultra2 or ultra mini as of today Jan 23rd 2008 :D I just told them the monitor I had was years old and did not have one I could currently use right now . and they had me answer some questions and said I would recieve it in 6-8 weeks :) Just FYI if anyone is still looking :)

Darkmindead

Sweet deal I just called lifescan after finding my old one touch and they are sending me one fed ex overnight ( I dont have another one to test with) :D YAY I finally get to try a one touch ultrasmart!

Ph FYI TOO I did check into it at the Endo's office and they do have meters and such including the one touch ultra smart ( and I live in podunk) So I'm completely excited by this whole why pay for a meter deal lol I was worried I would have to pay ( not that I would ) 150$ Thats how much the ultrasmart is here. I opted for the one through lifescan but know i can call the endo here to get one too if I need since I will have the one touch 2 from that other promo :D (im all set I have an ultra smart and an ultra 2 as back up)

Now.... If we could only at least lower the price of the strips if not find ways to get them for free life would be bliss wouldnt it?? lol

MissLynn

Dark, you can get free test strips through your local diabetes care and education center, on an as needed basis, ie extras for what insurance may not cover. If you dont have insurance they'll also help you with your monthly supply, as long as they have the ones you need in stock, if not they'll change your meter and give you the supplies for it.

As for the previous poster that asked about free insulin, check at your doctors office, they usually have samples of different types of insulin, this is how I got mine, and I am on Lantus ( opti click pen) and Novolog (pen)

Metermaid

If you call "ONE TOUCH" at 1-888-856-9803 They will give a free meter of your choice, I just rec'd the Ultra Smart.

If they ask who referred you, you just say your insurance name...in my case it was Pacificare. They do not ask for insurance ID#..they just say..."Be sure and get a prescription from you doctor for the test strips"

And it was at my house in 2 days, they even give you a choice of their three newest models, and color choices too.

JBUD

Well When I Sent an e-mail to one touch they never replied

and when called and told them how I use @ 200 test strips a month and would like to use there ultra smart they told me that I could look on the internet and find a good price and it comes with a 50.00 dollar rebate. I was sent a coupon for a free Meter from Accu-Chek and went with that.

My Experience with one touch was bad and could not understand why they did not hook me up to make more sales of their test strips?

palefacegirl03

I have never paid for a One Touch meter and I have been using them for 17 years. Call and speak with another person, you may have better luck .

You can get one free from this link

https://onetouch.orderpoints.com/ , it just asks who your insurance is, mine is Anthem BCBS, that is how I got my last ultra smart.

Petruchio

I used the link in palefacegirl03's post. If you try different names for Insurance Co's the available meters change. Some ask for verification info or codes from some upgrade letter. Some don't. I found one that only asked for name and shipping address.

I got a free Ultrasmart in 5 days.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.