Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TAutry

Broke out the bikes!!!

TAutry

Hi all,

I just got back from my first bike ride since 1996!!! Well, my first serious bike ride. I got the bikes down from their hangers and cleaned them up earlier today. I thought since they had been stored so long they needed a check ride. I took mine out and went about 5 miles over a mix of paved and dirt roads. I took my wife's to the end of the street and back to check her brakes and stuff.

I'm gonna be sore in the morning!!!:eek:

Travis

Tony

I have been wanting to do some mountain biking. The weather is warming up. But I haven't had the time yet. What I get a back pack for the dog.

TAutry

I am even more of a lunatic than you guys have surmised!!!:D:D:D(maniacal laughter goes here)

I went out to get the bikes put up. I brought my wife's first and put it back on its hook in the garage ceiling. That requires standing on a 6 ft. ladder and pushing the thing up over my head. If we ever get new bikes, I want aluminum or titanium frames.

I went back out to get mine. Like a nut, I decided to ride around the yard and let the dogs run with me. Being even nuttier, I headed off into the woods where there are some two-rut roads. About a mile and a dozen near falls, I turned around and came back. My bike didn't make it to its hook. I didn't have the juice left to do it and nearly fell from the ladder. Heck, if I leave mine down it will be much more likely that I will use it more.;)

Two observations:

1. Biking leads to insane behavior.

2. Exercise bikes aren't bikes.

Travis

Tony

lol.. I thought you was going to say your dogs took off on ya. How high up are putting these bikes. If they are to high I would never use them.

Well you could put your Exercise bike on a trailer and have your wife drive you around town. lol... Then it will be a bike. No maybe!

Tony
Originally posted by TAutry

LOL!

Tony,

Nice suggestion, but I will pass.:P

Travis

I thought so, It would look kind of funny going down the road.

MattB
Originally posted by Jon

That first ride always hurts for a few days. Especially the butt!

No kidding!! It takes a while to adjust..Try getting used to a seat, and then switching it out with another! Ouchie!

What kind of bikes do you guys ride?

I'm riding a steel Fisher Mt. Tam that I've put alot of stuff on, a Kona singlespeed, Allez road bike, and anything else I can get my butt on.

Jon

Right now my ride is a DiamondBack Response, 24 speed mountain bike.

I have found that the trick to avoiding a sore butt is to stand on the pedals. If you sit, you feel every bump. If you buy a bike with shock absorbers, that would help too. Some even have a shock absorber on the seat!

post-125-139628764206_thumb.gif

statdeac

Those doggone bike seats are just downright uncomfortable. The weather is so beautiful that I am heading for the hills and going on a mountain hike tomorrow morning. I don't care if anyone else joins me or not, I am going even if I have to go it alone!!!

Tony

I have a treck Mountain bike. My brother has a proflex, he is going to let me use. The bike has a shock. but I do remember the seat hurting. He is getting a bike to ride on the roads.

Gina

i havent ridden a bike since my batman big wheels in 1980 lol hahahhaah no im kidding since my HUFFY 1988 maybe lol.....god im getting old

MattB
Originally posted by Jon

Right now my ride is a DiamondBack Response, 24 speed mountain bike.

I have found that the trick to avoiding a sore butt is to stand on the pedals. If you sit, you feel every bump. If you buy a bike with shock absorbers, that would help too. Some even have a shock absorber on the seat!

Standing does help, but it also saps more energy..Depending on how long the ride is, energy conservation is important.

Suspension doesn't really help with the seat, but ti sure does with the bumps!!! :cool: You should tryout a full suspension rig, they are smooooth(well, compared to a hardtail).

It usually takes my butt 100-200 miles to adjust to a new seat..After that, if I am still not comfy on the seat, it's time to get a new one. Also, the type of riding you do can change the type of seat you need...How upright you are positioned, how far back on the rails you need your seat to position your legs and hands correctly...blah blah blah...Cycling takes some dedication to get started IMO.

TAutry

Hey, don't knock the old Huffy!

Mine is an early 90's vintage Huffy Grand Canyon with all original equipment. It was on sale at Walmart back then. That was a big trade up for me when I got it. I had been riding a late 70's model Sears 3-speed that was bought second hand by my brother and handed down to me. Yep, a convoluted tale.:P

Travis

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.