Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katrina Stovold

Type 1 Diabetes And Breast Implants

Katrina Stovold

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has had breast implants and is a type 1 diabetic, I have been considering this procedure for many many years but am concerned about complications as a result of having breast implants as I am a type 1 diabetic. Ie: things such as infection and general anasthetic concerns me. Also, since I am a type 1 diabetic then I am prone to develop other autoimmune diseases, apparently silicone cohesive gel implants may cause autoimmune diseases, but today is considered a myth. Just want to know if there are any type 1 diabetics out there that can recommend me going ahead with the procedure or even other doctors can recommend I go ahead. I have asked my surgeon about the issues of being a type 1 diabetic and he did say that bacteria loves sugar and this scared me but he did say that he will keep me extra cacooned during the procedure and load me up with antibiotics!! Thanks in advance. Katrina.

JediSkipdogg

Take this as you may...the thing I'd be more worried about is the scar from where they insert the implant at healing properly. The most common problem with diabetics and surgery is the scar fully healing. That would be my only concern besides the normal worries of infections.

Jan B

Katrina,

First, remember, we are NOT all the same. If I were you, I would think long and hard before going through with an "optional" major surgery.

I had reconstructive surgery on my foot (motorcycle accident), and later, two more major surgeries. Every time the doctors were very concerned about my healing and risks because of being T1. I healed as well as anyone in good health. I have two scars (surgery 4 years ago) about 6 inches long under my arms that are almost invisible! I used Mederma (skin care for scars) religiously, and it paid off.

Use your good judgement. If you have a history of healing slowly, or getting infections from cuts, etc., use extreme caution (or don't do it).

Katrina Stovold

Thanks to both of you, the way I see it is if my blood sugar control is very good then I should heal like a normal healthy person! I roooolly want to do this. Ive been thinking about it for 10 years, willl let you know if I do decide to do this. Thanks again for responding!! xx

Mrs Mop

Delighted to have found this thread as it's exactly my situation - I have been contemplating an augmentation for a few years and now that I have finally gotten the nerve to atrt making serious plans I suddenly realised that I hadn't taken into consideration my diabetes!! :confused:

Katrina Stovold

HI!! Dont worry! I am booked in with Dr Jeremy Hunt on 28 October this year to have my breasts enlarged. I have thoroughly researched the whole procedure for over 5 years and am extremely confident about doing this. I just got my hba1c result back and it was 6.9% and I am extremely happy with that, just wanted to get it under 7% and I did it. Yay!! I asked the doc everything and anything I had on my mind and type 1 diabetes is no problem, I am a very thorough person and wont do anything until I am totally satisfied with my final decision based on all my extensive research that i love to do! Type 1 diabetics should not be cut off from being able to have breast implants. I am booked in and ready to do it. It has been done many many times to type 1 diabetics and type 2's. The doc actually says type 2 have more risk than type 1 which is interesting. Anyway. I cant wait to do it!! Also, I can get pregnant the next month after breast implants if I wanted to but will wait about 6 months anyway. xxoo

volleyball

If you plan on getting pregnant, why not have your surgery afterwards, there are several good reasons to have it then. One being the skin gets stretched and if it doesn't return to previous shape, you can use the implant to fill in. On the other hand, it may be difficult to do the surgery if you are busy with a baby. It depends on your reason for getting them.

Katrina Stovold

Yes, good point but I have thought it through and have decided not to wait until after I have a baby to get my boobs, the reason being.....I may take up to 12 months to get pregnant, you never know, and that is another year i have to walk around with my tiny tits, sounds silly and superficial but I am not a vain person, just want to do this for myself to feel better and more in proportion. Have put it off for soooo long and cannot wait any more. Also, pregnancy wont really affect the breast implants at all. So all good. Thanks though for your advice, appreciate but have already thought it out!! The reason for getting my boobs is because they are so small and my bum is of adequate size and it all looks wrong, has looked wrong ever since i hit puberty and I am now 30, should have done this years ago befor I even got type 1 diabetes at 24. Its sort of like a reward for me to as my hba1c is 6.9% which I am very happy with. Thanks. xxx katrina.

Keezheekoni

One more thought about having the implants after pregnancy, which I know won't make you not get them... just my thoughts...

I had very small breasts until after my first pregnancy. During pregnancy they stayed pretty small. After I had my son, apparently that small size was just waiting to expand with milk... I breast fed my son until he was 3, and my breasts stayed bigger. After 5 kids now, I have DD cup breasts. The only augmentation I'd like to have is a lift, since they do sag after all that breastfeeding.

Oh, and yes, I'm a pushy pro-breastfeeding mama. :) Breast milk is the best for babies. You should definitely want to breastfeed and with implants that can be impossible (not always, but for the most part it is impossible). And after knowing a couple of women who did breastfeed with implants, they ended up going back in to get lifts because they ended up sagging as well.

GeishaGirl

Thanks for posting this :) I actually have a condition where one breast never grew at all. It really sucks. On one side, I'm a presentable B, on the other, I'm a 10-year-old pre-pubescent girl. I have one falsie, I can't wear anything if I can't wear my bra, I can't go swimming. Or, rather, I won't, because it's too embarrassing.

I've been desparate for normal-looking breasts since I was 16. I guess that's another reason to get my numbers under control, huh? :)

Katrina Stovold

Guess what!! I did it!! I went through with my breast implants! My sugar level was 8% while I was under general anasthetic then as soon as I came out of the general anasthetic it skyrocketed to 13, 17 and 15 and i kept on taking more and more insulin but it would not go down, then after about 2 hours it fell to 1.8 and I didnt even feel the effect of the hypo due to the after effects of the anasthetic, I am so lucky to have been woken up by the battery beeping in my drip otherwise I may neve have woken up. Silly me, then I got in trouble by the nurses and docs for taking too much insulin so they locked it away!! I think it is quite funny now! Anyway, my sugars have been around 5 as an average over the past few days, max 14, then a few lows too as I am being extremely strict! But, no infection and no problems at all yet! I am booked in to see the doc for a follow up procedure on tues (2 days away) and yep I am glad I did this, will hold off for a baby until I turn 32, at least I can enjoy my new boobs for a year!! xx

volleyball

Glad it worked out for you. You have to post some pics once everything has healed. Only PG pictures please. the rest can go to my inbox:cool: :cool: :cool:

You'll have to remember to post back every few months how it's going

Mrs Mop

Well done Katrina -Delighted all went well with your new boobs - I am hoping to start the consultation process after Christmas and now that I have set my mind on it I can't wait!!

My hba1c is 5.6 - ( how excellent am I!! )- and I am in otherwise excellent health. Fingers crossed all goes well. Enjoy the new you!!

Katrina Stovold

Hello!! Absolutely just do it! I have spent way too long thinking about it and have no regrets, my boobs are a size C, so not stupidly big but in proportion with the rest of my body. It was much easier than I thought, as soon as I was under the general anasthetic I was out cold and then woke up with boobs, the first couple of days I just lay around and slept, it was quite relaxing and honestly not painful as most say! Just remember when you need to get up get the person who is looking after you to push you up from behind (one hand on your back) instead of pulling you up with your arms as that hurts! I went under the muscle, my insicion was in the crease of my boob, very happy! Just do it!! xxoo

maebell22

I have been considering getting implants for several years now myself. The concerns I have are related to possible future problems (multiple surgeries-since implants don't last a lifetime. Recommend replacing every 10 yrs-if don't leak or have other complications with them). I have breastfed 4 children and "the girls" have been pretty much deflated. I would love to get them, but concerned about having to replace them in the future and all the surgeries involved. Plus, I don't plan to be a 90 yr. old lady with implants. What if my sugars aren't as stable in the future (higher A1C) and need surgery again?

Katrina Stovold

Yes, all these things to consider! My new boobs are only 1 year old and I am now pregnant, should have waiteed until after my baby but no one can predict the future, I thought about it long and hard! To be honest! No big deal having big boobs now, but I obviously wanted to do it so I put thought into it and just did it! If I were you Id do it, youve breasfed all your kids, and you can always just get them removed later on in life, by the time you are 90 we probably wont really care too much about out appearances by then anyway, so Ill just get mine taken out in 20 years or something, depends how things go! Just keep your sugars under control always as much as y ou can! I was fine and I am not the most relaxed carefree person on the planet, my sugars were high last night and Im very sad today, worried I have done damage already to bub who is only a pea! The surgery was easy peasy for me, no pain really, only out of action for couple of weeks AND i went under the muscle, ask me any questions if you have them! xsx

Ulzhan
Hello!! Absolutely just do it! I have spent way too long thinking about it and have no regrets, my boobs are a size C, so not stupidly big but in proportion with the rest of my body. It was much easier than I thought, as soon as I was under the general anasthetic I was out cold and then woke up with boobs, the first couple of days I just lay around and slept, it was quite relaxing and honestly not painful as most say! Just remember when you need to get up get the person who is looking after you to push you up from behind (one hand on your back) instead of pulling you up with your arms as that hurts! I went under the muscle, my insicion was in the crease of my boob, very happy! Just do it!! xxoo

Dear Katrina! I've just read your post. How are you feeling now? You made such a great job! I'm really delighted it's possible for diabetics. I'm a Type 1 diabetic. From 1995. My diabetes is fully controlled. And now I'm considering such surgery but I'm not sure about clinics. I was wondering if you could advise me a good clinic in UK. Thank you very much in advance!

Katrina Stovold

Hello!! its so easy to do! I live in Australia so have no idea about clinics in UK but im sure if you do your research you will find the right one......best is by word of mouth or seeing the work of a surgeon on another woman! Boobs are normal, forget they are fake! Im 5 mths pregnant now....they havent changed yet! But, probably will after breastfeeding but then again they may not!!

niia22

Hi Katrina, I am new to this site & reading about your experience is basically refreshing! I have wanted to get implants for the longest time & I was wondering what your recovery time was? My job doesn't allow for long periods of time off & this is also one of my main concerns.....thanks

CCGIRL

I got my boobs done 5 years ago. I had no problems and it was SUPER easy for me. I went under the muscle.MY blood sugar was pretty good from what I can remember and I didn't have any problems with healing. My recovery nurse had a son that was a type 1 diabetic and he had the same pump as I did!! I think she thought I was a little wacky...One of my first memories from waking up was asking the nurse to check my blood sugar!

My recovery was pretty easy. You will have some lifting precautions...I can't remember exactly the weight but I know that you can't lift a certain amount for awhile after surgery. I really didn't have a lot of pain, I only took pain meds for a few days and then I took tylenol. I was just very stiff. It was well worth it! Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Awesomandi

I had my breasts done December 19th of 2006, December 27th, I was in the desert driving a dune buggy! I went back to work the 1st (which was only because we were in the desert!!). I healed incredibly well, you can hardly see my scars. I went from a B to a DD! (Southern California, go big or go home, right!?) I have a really high pain tolerance, but I took my pills for about 3 days and was done! Great experience, and it's a fun spot to hide my pump too! :D

niia22

Thank you to both of you for replying! I am planning to get them done right before Thanksgiving, I would have 11 days off from the day I get the surgery to the day I return to work & I do know that everyone heals differently but just wanted an idea....How long have you been on the pump? I was on it for 4 years & needed a vacation so I took myslef off this past April.

Katrina Stovold

Well, recovery time depends on the work you do! If you go under the muscle the recovery is longer.......if you go above the muscle not so bad at all! Seriously, I had no pain at all, enjoyed the pain medications, made me feel great and sleepy! I did nothing much for 2 weeks, you must do nothing otherwise can hinder with healing etc. After 2 weeks I was up walking around doing normal stuff, the first week is hard coz you cant use your arms, make sure someone is there for 1 to 2 days after surgery, just to push you up ie: push your back so you can get up off the couch, after the first week it gets easier day by day, before you know it you will forget you had the surgery........I would allow a full 6 weeks till you can feel pre- operation. After 2 weeks you are ok to go to work, ask the doc though as every one recovers differently and it depends on your job and also the location of implant/incision site etc. xxx DO IT!

niia22

Thanks! I am excited! This is really a great site (maybe I'll get better at navigating it...so lost! lol!) I will keep you posted :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.