Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

msmichellemille

Can you feed your toddler too much cheese?

Janlaton

Hey, I'm 63 and still eat the occasional spoonful of peanut butter! Don't forget to include any fruit your son can eat in his diet. Many toddlers really eat lots of mac and cheese so if you are worried over carbs at least he is only eating the cheese...

Hate to tell someone but once you have gout it may go into remission but you never get it completely out of your body. You just have to keep the uric acid levels down. Good luck.

volleyball

Hate to tell someone but once you have gout it may go into remission but you never get it completely out of your body. You just have to keep the uric acid levels down. Good luck.

I had gout a couple of times, long gone. Since gout is a build up of salt in the joint, once it has been cleared, the gout is gone. While you may be more likely to get it again, just like some people may re sprain their ankle, it doesn't mean you always have a sprain in remission.

So I don't believe it is something you can be cured from as it is not a disease

Penny

The grandkids liked "ham sticks" when they were little....we would just roll up a slice of ham and they ate it that way. They also liked salad cucumbers, peel and all, they ate them like apples. Also cherry tomatoes, I know they have a few carbs, but they don't seem to bother my BS.

Janlaton

a two fisted snack for my grandsons is salmon patties! Easy to fix and good for them. They also love macrel and tuna in patties. Mix with oatmeal and an egg sometimes an onion and a dash of salt whatever spice you prefer with fish. Cook in pan lightly covered in olive oil and it is great.

Regular ham cut into strips is also good and better than deli ham slices.

Neuromancer

About the only thing I would think you'd really have to consider is the saturated fat content of full milk cheese...you might want to consider buying low-fat cheese...

Mich

Jan, you made me smile. Our whole family can demolish a plate of salmon patties as finger food. I make them small and use the same ingredients you do.

When the girls were little, I put out a little bit of everything in kid-sized bites. I was surprised at how they ate just about everything eventually.

Michelle, how is your little guy doing? How are you doing?

Mich

davef
The grandkids liked "ham sticks" when they were little....we would just roll up a slice of ham and they ate it that way. .

I still love ham sticks!

Also if you roll the ham around a stick/chunk of cheddar cheese, then zap them for about 20 seconds in microwave, all cool for a few minutes - yum, yum.

Janlaton

I said two fisted because they want one or more in each hand. By the way the older is 15 and fish cakes have to be cooked while he is out of the house if anyone else is to get any! The 10 year old is almost as bad.

Mrs.Type 1
We all know life is unfair. We try to protect our children from it. But kid snacks? This is a good life lesson. No kid is being deprived if they don't get lunchables, it is actually a good thing. Being vocal to other parents that you think those things are just bad for your child, then maybe they will have the courage to say no to their kids. And it will SPREAD to many more.

Things like that started with parents trying to give their kids more. so both parents work long hours. They don't have time for their kids so they buy stuff. And spend more money, so they work more.

This is the same cycle that some drug users go through.

Not saying anyone here is guilty but you probably know someone like this

I understand that life is not fair and i agree completly with not giving your kids everything they want but it gets really hard to continously tell your kids that the reason they cannot have certain things is not that mommy and daddy cant afford to give them to you...its because you have diabetes and your not allowed to eat that. It becomes very discouraging for the child. I think it would be a great thing to allow children with this disease to be able to feel more like "normal" kids even if its just by being able to take a lunchable to school.

volleyball

If you are constantly being asked about lunchables, then you are not conveying the message strongly enough. If your kid had a strong allergy to lunchables, you would not feel guilty about saying no. If a lunchable is such a big deal, having one on a Saturday and seeing their reaction and what you have to do to deal with it may be easier to either decide it's doable or why it's not. Does extra testing and insulin become an acceptable compromise?

The lunchable is a generic term for all those products out there. Maybe lunchable is not worth it but chucky cheese is. We all have to make occasional compromises. Even as adults. But the more you give now, the even more you will give in future.

Maybe giving the kid some other reward such as a coveted toy or clothing as an alternative? A months worth of lunchables could pay for some nice stuff. And teaches a valuable leason

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.