Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superjew78

Very confused. Please help

Superjew78

i got the diarrhea to the point i couldnt walk it hurt so bad.

As for the snack i was thinking maybe like a string cheese. They only have like 1-2 carbs in them.

cyberus

You might also ask to try the ER (extended release) version of metformin .. it helped me with the side effects a lot ... and if you were eating "normally" aka lots of carbs it seems to make the effects worse for many people

Superjew78

Maybe i will try that.

I have another question. I have cut down my carbs to about 60 a day, started today. Is it going to take more time for my blood sugar to drop alot more? Cause my lowest reading today was 166. and i am not having alot of carbs.

Just wondering if it will continue to drop if i stick with this or should it have dropped more already?

cyberus
Maybe i will try that.

I have another question. I have cut down my carbs to about 60 a day, started today. Is it going to take more time for my blood sugar to drop alot more? Cause my lowest reading today was 166. and i am not having alot of carbs.

Just wondering if it will continue to drop if i stick with this or should it have dropped more already?

This is just in my opinion.

First you are going to have to go lower than that to start .. 30-40 (in my opinion) what you consider "not a lot" seems to be "a lot"

Second you are going to have to take all the bad carbs completely out at first .. bread, pasta, rice, sugared anything ... you can start adding stuff back when you get things under control.

Third .. you have to realize that 188 is a spike .. anything over 140 is considered a problem if its a constant thing. Worrying about "going low" at this stage is a bit premature since low is around 70-80.

Once you get things under control you can maybe try that slice of toast again .. but I'm willing to bet that 2 hours after you eat it when you test you're gonna go bug-eyed and wonder whyinthehell you ever ate that stuff. :)

matingara
The only real way i watch my cholestoral is by not eating a ton of seafood and i avoid eggs. I just use egg beaters. I like how they taste anyway.

avoiding eggs is a false strategy. eggs have cholesterol in them - but this cholesterol does not go into you.

the best way to get your cholesterol down is to get your blood sugar down. do this by lowering carbs as near to zero as you can. (see the numbers in my signature).

most of the cholesterol in your body is produced by your liver.

i don't even know what an "egg beater" is but it sounds nasty. real eggs are one of God's given wonders. don't avoid them.

for lunch today i had a two egg, steak, mushroom and (full fat) cheese omelet, yum.

-- Joel.

matingara
Egg beaters are egg whites. Not nasty at all.

ok! they are not available in Australia - or at least i have never heard of them.

i DO know that Bernstein specifically cites eggs as something not to be afraid of. i was concerned that these beater things might have additives.

give me a good ole free range egg any day.

:)

-- Joel.

Superjew78

They are actually made from whole eggs, they have the yolks in them also. They taste just like eggs to me and they have about 1/4th of the cholesterol.

Also, my body seems really out of whack. Last night, before my snack, i tested and my blood sugar was 133. i then had one string cheese stick for a snack. 1 carb some fat and calories. When i work up this morning, before breakfast, my blood sugar was 165. The only thing i ate was that one cheese stick. Is it common for your blood sugar to go up when you sleep when you haven't really eaten?

cyberus
They are actually made from whole eggs, they have the yolks in them also. They taste just like eggs to me and they have about 1/4th of the cholesterol.

Also, my body seems really out of whack. Last night, before my snack, i tested and my blood sugar was 133. i then had one string cheese stick for a snack. 1 carb some fat and calories. When i work up this morning, before breakfast, my blood sugar was 165. The only thing i ate was that one cheese stick. Is it common for your blood sugar to go up when you sleep when you haven't really eaten?

That could be either meds wearing off during the night OR Dawn Phenomena, which happens to some people, their body releases glucose to give you the energy to get up and climb down the tree and look for food :D

davef

I actually find that my numbers are more likely to be higher if I don't eat something before going to bed. I have also found that if I take my last Metformin dose (500mg) just before bed rather than with my dinner that it helps keep my morning numbers down. It has taken a little time to work out but I've found that about 11.30pm is the optimum time for me to take the metformin and I normally have some cheese (or even a dry cookie) with it.

matingara

sounds like an interesting product. i am glad you like it.

but it does sound to me like a product borne out of the whole low-fat, low cholesterol craze!

i no longer fear eggs. i no longer fear the real butter i cook them in.

since i have been eating eggs this way and reduced my carbs my cholesterol and triglycerides have been more than stellar (see below).

-- Joel.

Superjew78

I am trying to cut down on fat also because i am trying to lose weight also.

I also think my numbers could be high because i am not getting enough medicine.

I didnt have any breads for breakfast or lunch, My carbs came from the mushrooms i used in my eggs. At lunch i had a chef salad with turkey, cheese and lettuce. My numbers are still around 170-180. I am on 2.5 mgs of Glipizide, once daily in the AM.

Real4
IS that including dietary fiber? since you arent supposed to really count that in your carbs. that seems awfully low for carbs. I am not even sure how you could break it down to 6 for breakfast. Would that be like 1/4 of a peice of toast? :D

You don't eat toast. Ham and eggs is zero - 0.

Superjew78
I am trying to cut down on fat also because i am trying to lose weight also.

I also think my numbers could be high because i am not getting enough medicine.

I didnt have any breads for breakfast or lunch, My carbs came from the mushrooms i used in my eggs. At lunch i had a chef salad with turkey, cheese and lettuce. My numbers are still around 170-180. I am on 2.5 mgs of Glipizide, once daily in the AM.

anyone think perhaps this is to low of a dosage?

matingara

i cannot make a comment about dosages etc.

it will take a while for your numbers to come down even if you eat zero carbs. so give it time and be patient.

try eating as few carbs as possible (for 3-4 days) and see if (a) your numbers start to trend downward or (B) your numbers don't start spiking high again.

either of these is s a good result.

then you can see if you can continue low carbing. it does take a few days for your numbers to start stabilizing/going down.

:)

-- Joel.

Superjew78

Thanks joel for all the help. My before dinner reading was actually within norms, 107, so i am pretty happy. Hopefully i can keep it there.

birdyland

Wow... with cholesterol and triglycerides that high... did they also check you for thyroid issues? If they have not, please insist on it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.