Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lpete301

5 yr old sweating at night

lpete301

My daughter is 5 and she has been having night sweats and changing her pajamas almost every night for the last month and 1/2. She wakes up crying and wet. She is having nigtmares also and not eating real healthy like she used to, she is craving sugar and candy. She is not fed junk food often. She came down with a sore throat recently and we mentioned it to the doc. The doc has me checking her temp through out the day and a few times at night. She is not running a fever and her temp in the night is 97.4 or so. When I looked up night sweats and noticed that hypoglycemia could cause the nightmares and sweats I picked up a meter and tested her during the night friday when I took her temp. She ate dinner at 6 then had nothing at all after that before bed. At 9 she went to bed with a temp of 99.1. at 10 her temp was 97.7 and BG 110 at 11 she was at 97.5 with BG 125 The last time I checked her was 12am temp 97.5 BG 138. At 10 she was not very sweaty, but was clammy and almost felt sticky. She definately was sticky and sweaty at 11 though.

I have been reading alot and the dawn phenomenon is supposed to hit around 3am so what is up with the readings earlier in the night? I did not wake up to check her at 3 since I did not find out about this till saturday morn. I will check at 3am tonite if I can wake up.I am going to get a fasting level on her tommorrow.

What is strange is that when she has cereal right before bed as a snack she does not have this problem with the sweating or nightmares. She also does not drink as much of her water bottle that she has next to her bed.

my daughter did fantastic at Grandmas the last two nights. No sweating or nightmares. Grandma feeds them very well, lots of healthy foods, no sweets and they eat regularly. Here at home they graze throughout the day and usually eat lots of veggies and good stuff, but sometimes, more often than I should we go to the market and they get a solid sugar treat. Those are the days her problems are the worst, they just dont show up till much later and the next day she complains of the nightmares and sweating. I really believe this is a sugar problem since diet plays a huge part. I can fix that, but what bothers me is that her identical twin does not have the same problems. If they both had the same problems, I could say "Ill just change their diets and cut out any with with bad sugar in it", but since it is only one of them it leads me to believe that it is more than diet and probably is something to look at further. Maybey it is the beginning of something more important. I would rather find out now than find out when she has something we can not control with diet.

Do you have any ideas as to what a non-diabetics night time levels should be? That is a very difficult thing to find on the net. I do plan on talking to her doctor, but I like to have as much information before hand as possible so I dont feel and look like a paranoid mother when I call. Also right now I do feel kind of paranoid and like an over protective mom right now. I am very "type A" and need to be in control and know as much as I can to make a good decision. Besides I dont want to "poke" my baby if I dont need to. She has an identical twin that is not having the same problems with sweating or nightmares. Any comments or wisdom are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Linda

Harold

Question, are her night sweats all over, including arms and legs, or are they localized to the upper or lower torso?

lpete301

Her sweats are all over. Last night she put a dry blanket under her in the middle of the night. At 11 I checked on her and her BG was 127 then at 8 am she was at 89. I think that for a non diabetic the 89 would be ok, but why so high in the night 5 hours after eating? Shouldn't she be closer to 90 or 100 at the most? She did not have the really bad dreams last night. There was a time when we thought she was having night terrors because she would be screaming and crying in her sleep and I would have to hold her till she woke up. Then stay with her for 5 to 10 mins after. Although she didn't remember the dream she would be scared to find I was in there and everyone else awake. That is not happening now. When she has the bad dreams she remembers them.

lpete301
Hidden

Her sweats are all over. Last night she put a dry blanket under her in the middle of the night. At 11 I checked on her and her BG was 127 then at 8 am she was at 89. I think that for a non diabetic the 89 would be ok, but why so high in the night 5 hours after eating? Shouldn't she be closer to 90 or 100 at the most? She did not have the really bad dreams last night. There was a time when we thought she was having night terrors because she would be screaming and crying in her sleep and I would have to hold her till she woke up. Then stay with her for 5 to 10 mins after. Although she didn't remember the dream she would be scared to find I was in there and everyone else awake. That is not happening lately. When she has the bad dreams she remembers them.

thanks Linda

xMenace

DP starts later than 3am, and it tends to be less extreme in children. I start treating mine at 4am and it peaks around 8am

I highly doubt a BG problem.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.