Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

barbarac

thyroid medications

barbarac

OK. Just started on the generic thyroid medication. They said not to eat or drink for 30 min. to an hour, and not take any other medication for 4 hours. I also take Fosamax one day a week--on empty stomach too and don't eat or drink for 30 minutes. Now I am running into problems. They want 3 am readings, then take the pill, wait to eat. By the time I am able to take other meds it is almost noon, breakfast is running too close to lunch, etc. How do people handle all this. Someone said get up early, take the pill, go back to bed for a couple hours. Then I would be ready for breakfast, but not other meds. I don't think I can wake up every couple hours to do this stuff.

Am I the only one with meds overlapping?? Anyone else take thyroid medication and what do you do.

Hope you understand this. It is confusing.

gettingby

Barbara, I am on Levothyroxine. I take it first thing in the morning when I get up. I make coffee, get hubby out the door. By this time, it has been an hour since I took it. Depending on what time I have to be at work, I eat and get dressed or I get dressed and pick something up if I'm in a hurry.

Call your pharmacy and explain the situation to the pharmacist. He/she may be able to give you some pointers.

BTW, did they tell you to only take your thyroid med with water? Make sure you do.

orange81bird

Barbara, I am on Levothroid, Lisinopril, and asprin. I just go ahead and take all 3 at the same time right away in the morning. I had talked to my pharmacist about this and he didn't see anything wrong with the routine. My endo mentioned to even take it in the evening before bed if need be.

Tiger Lily

i keep my synthroid (levothyroxine) on my night stand table, and when i wake up in the middle of the night, i take my synthroid

if i miss this opportunity, i just take it in the morning, and carry on with breakfast as usual

i didn't realize other meds can affect the synthroid.......... guess that makes sense....... thanks! i'll be asking the pharmacist next visit

Lloyd

I've been taking my synthroid in the morning with my other medications, for 28 years, and it gives me no problems.

-Lloyd

barbarac

Thanks for the replies. Feel a little better. Was just thinking to myself that I am trying my best to act normal through all this, then they start with all this stuff about don't eat for 30 minutes. When you do this with 2, it sure seems to make breakfast late. They did say in particular calcium and any vitamins not to take for 4 hours--why I am not sure. Last night I set an alarm for a 3:00 reading (which they want), again for a 7:00 thyroid, then still waited until 11:00 for the rest. Guess I will figure it all out. Just don't want to become "an invalid" because of all this. Want to try to keep as normal as possible without all this checking and medicating. Thanks though for replies.

gettingby
Thanks for the replies. Feel a little better. Was just thinking to myself that I am trying my best to act normal through all this, then they start with all this stuff about don't eat for 30 minutes. When you do this with 2, it sure seems to make breakfast late. They did say in particular calcium and any vitamins not to take for 4 hours--why I am not sure. Last night I set an alarm for a 3:00 reading (which they want), again for a 7:00 thyroid, then still waited until 11:00 for the rest. Guess I will figure it all out. Just don't want to become "an invalid" because of all this. Want to try to keep as normal as possible without all this checking and medicating. Thanks though for replies.

I was told too not to take any vitamins, esp ones with iron, at the same time as the thyroid med.

Doxiedad

I was unable to take Levithyroxine. I tried it but it made me sweat "like a farm beast". I also experienced pain in my legs and was told Levithyroxine could cause muscle weakness. Has anyone else heard that Levithyroxine can cause muscle weakness? I also take my Synthroid in the morning upon arising with my other medications. I eat breakfast about 20 or so minutes later.

ferzan.lermiogl
Barbara, I am on Levothroid, Lisinopril, and asprin. I just go ahead and take all 3 at the same time right away in the morning. I had talked to my pharmacist about this and he didn't see anything wrong with the routine. My endo mentioned to even take it in the evening before bed if need be.

Aspirin interacts absorption of Levothroid. They should not be taken together (I am pharmacist and have Hashimoto's dis.

Lloyd
Aspirin interacts absorption of Levothroid. They should not be taken together (I am pharmacist and have Hashimoto's dis.

Do you mean don't take both at the same time of day, or don't take both at all?

I take synthroid in the morning and Aspirin at supper time, and have had no problems.

-Lloyd

BrianSCohen

The "google" is your friend. On Levothroid:

Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription drugs you may use, especially of:

diabetes medicines (e.g., insulin, glipizide, rosiglitazone),

high dose salicylates (e.g., aspirin)...

In the U.S. most men are told to take a low dose of aspirin, which is probably what Lloyd takes, 81 mg a baby aspirin. This is unlikely to have much affect.

Ferzanm, you are right to point this out, and I am always concerned that interactions are missed. We depend on pharmacists for help, but they don't know what non-prescription things people take.

I make it a practice to present my doctor a list of all the current things I take, vitamins, aspirin, supplements and prescriptions for each my appointments. I am sure most pharmacists would happily scan such a list for patrons, should they ask.

ps. Lloyd, I would ask my doctor about the aspirin, but he would probably tell you a low dose is fine.

ferzan.lermiogl
Do you mean don't take both at the same time of day, or don't take both at all?

I take synthroid in the morning and Aspirin at supper time, and have had no problems.

-Lloyd

Hi Lloyd, I mean do not take at the same time. Aspirin can effect its binding to blood proteins. So no problem for you.

ferzan.lermiogl
The "google" is your friend. On Levothroid:

Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription drugs you may use, especially of:

diabetes medicines (e.g., insulin, glipizide, rosiglitazone),

high dose salicylates (e.g., aspirin)...

In the U.S. most men are told to take a low dose of aspirin, which is probably what Lloyd takes, 81 mg a baby aspirin. This is unlikely to have much affect.

Ferzanm, you are right to point this out, and I am always concerned that interactions are missed. We depend on pharmacists for help, but they don't know what non-prescription things people take.

I make it a practice to present my doctor a list of all the current things I take, vitamins, aspirin, supplements and prescriptions for each my appointments. I am sure most pharmacists would happily scan such a list for patrons, should they ask.

ps. Lloyd, I would ask my doctor about the aspirin, but he would probably tell you a low dose is fine.

You are right. You may find everything in google. I am graduated from Faculty of Pharmacy but not working in a drug store; working at Faculty of Pharmacy, in University, as professor of Toxicology. So I pay attention more to drug interactions and drug-food interactions. You are right for high doses of aspirin. It interacts with binding of synthroid to blood proteins. However nobody takes aspirin on an empty stomach, also.

buttons

I take my synthroid between 5 and 6 am.. every day.... I keep a book at bedside and usually a short read will put me back to sleep. My doc said no food or other meds for a complete hour. If my sugar is low , it usually keeps me up because I am hungry.. I wait it out until the hour is up. ... then first shot of the day and some food... then I am back to sleep immediately after. I am retired... so that makes it easy...

Dewey

I know this will sound just horrible, but I take thyroid meds (Levoxyl/Levothyroxine) at the same time as Mavik (ACE Inhibitor - preventative measure). I don't wait to eat because I'm not going to live my life around my meds...rather, I'm going to incorporate them into My life/lifestyle. Sometimes, I take the meds first thing in the morning, and sometimes later on. I can't speak for everyone, but my thyroid levels are now fine & I do almost all the things they say not to (i.e. eat right afterwards rather than waiting 30 minutes, drink coffee with dairy/creamer, etc.). They say dairy can inhibit the effects of the thyroid meds or something of that nature.

I'm iron deficient, so I do take the iron vitamins in the evening (opposite to when the thyroid meds are taken). Other than that, I kinda break most of the "rules" when it comes to taking the thyroid meds. Sorry to be a bad example. :o

I guess what I'm saying is try to find the best regimen to fit your lifestyle & your needs. Do what works best for you, rather than working around everything else.

sable_032592

i take my synthroid with my other oral meds in the morning for over 20 years now and i've never had a problem... my last blood test has my thyroid levels as fine and not needing to be re-adjusted...

i can't say that everyone that does it this way will be fine, but i don't think you have to be too strict with you medication schedule either... the only thing with synthroid is to make sure that you take it in the morningm though some take it late at night too...

i've also been told that taking certain meds with things like orange juice or anything with citric acid in it is not recommended... makes sense to me, my stomach hurts when i take my metformin with orange juice (which is rarely since i take them in the morning with the rest of my cocktail, and at night with some more meds)...

Patient254
I've been taking my synthroid in the morning with my other medications, for 28 years, and it gives me no problems.

-Lloyd

Same here - I've take my Levoxyl with my other morning meds since 1999 with no problem. Only thing I do is I do not take generic thyroid med - only the name brand.

Doug

I used to take aspirin, 2 vitamins and synthroid all at same time before shower ( which is tycally after breakfast )

I changed vitamins to a Mens formula and that caused some real issues with synthroid - which I was already taking a ton of. My hands were cold and energy low. JUST stopping the vitamins changed the synthroid dramatically - after a week my cold hands disappeared and in a few weeks I cut back the dose of synthroid since more of it was getting "in"

My experience

YMMV

Like a previous poster Ive been doing this stuff for 20 years and hope to continue another 30 - I wont let the diseases dominate my life however. I wouldnt wake up in the middle of the night to take thyroid meds for example

barbarac

amazing--all these replies all of a sudden. I don't remember seeing them before. Almost have the meds. thing figured out. Going to the once a month thing for osteopsorosis, take the thyroid around 5:00, go back to sleep and take the rest when I get up. All seems complicated though. Also, I feel sort of weak, a little out of breath at times, just generally tired, legs sore when I get up (may just be age and arthritis related though). So I was interested in the muscle weakness reply. I also take Crestor (statin) and Zetia--sometimes I wonder about those, but Dr. insists I need them. All this medicine scares me. Until diabetes I took none. Now it is ridiculous.

morrisma

Just got prescribed synthroid. Haven't started it yet I was told to take it in the morning and keep my aspirin, cholesterol & bp meds at night. Will see how this works soon.

Mike

jspirit

Also just found out about Hashimoto's and started on the generic brand of synthroid. Why do some of you say only to take the brand name?

I thought I was being obsessive/ compulsive when I took it at 4:30 am since I woke up anyways. That way I could eat my fibre breakfast 4 hours later.

It says to take it on an empty stomach, in the morning, to wait 30-60 minutes before eating. Not to be taken within 4 hours of fibre, walnuts, or calcium.

I switched my other vitamins and minerals to bedtime.

This is round the clock so I can see why some of you say you just take it when it works for you and hope for the best results.

So why only the brand name synthroid?

jhofmann44
OK. Just started on the generic thyroid medication. They said not to eat or drink for 30 min. to an hour, and not take any other medication for 4 hours. I also take Fosamax one day a week--on empty stomach too and don't eat or drink for 30 minutes. Now I am running into problems. They want 3 am readings, then take the pill, wait to eat. By the time I am able to take other meds it is almost noon, breakfast is running too close to lunch, etc. How do people handle all this. Someone said get up early, take the pill, go back to bed for a couple hours. Then I would be ready for breakfast, but not other meds. I don't think I can wake up every couple hours to do this stuff.

Am I the only one with meds overlapping?? Anyone else take thyroid medication and what do you do.

Hope you understand this. It is confusing.

I take2 hypertension pills plus my thyroid pill all at the same time first thing in the morning. Haven't had a problem. Good readings on my thyroid. I do suggest waiting at least 4 hours after taking your thyroid med before taking any vitamin or herbal supplements. They can wipe out the effects of your synthroid if taken too soon after.

poodlebone

I keep my Levoxyl and a bottle of water by my bed. I always wake up before I'm ready to get out of bed so I take it then. Fall back to sleep, and when I do crawl out of bed I can eat whenever I'm ready.

I always stuck with the "wait one hour" rule before eating but a few people I've spoken to about it (including my mother) say they only wait 1/2 hour. Someone told me she always takes it right before eating. I think that if you're consistant about the time you take it your results won't vary much, but I like to give it at least an hour.

poodlebone
I was unable to take Levithyroxine. I tried it but it made me sweat "like a farm beast". I also experienced pain in my legs and was told Levithyroxine could cause muscle weakness. Has anyone else heard that Levithyroxine can cause muscle weakness? I also take my Synthroid in the morning upon arising with my other medications. I eat breakfast about 20 or so minutes later.

I know this is an old post, but levothyroxine & synthroid are the same medication! Are you sure you didn't mean Lipitor, which can cause muscle pain/weakness?

Jill-O

I just recently started on Synthroid. My endocrinologist told me the main thing to avoid near taking it is calcium. He said have it an hour before calcium, or 2-3 hours after.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.