Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mich

ADA Back to School Checklist

Mich

DIABETES FORECAST in the September 2008 issue on p75

Looks like a good checklist for getting a diabetic back to elementary school. The ADA is and has been good at advocacy.

Check it out.

If you don't have a copy (you must join ADA) go to this page which has the same info on your child's rights at school.

Diabetes and the Law - For Parents & Kids - American Diabetes Association

patricia52

I hate our school system. Children in the middle school are not allowed to keep their medicine with them. Parents have to take it to the school nurse, then the child has to go to the school nurse when they need the med. If the child is on prescription meds. The prescription must be divided at the pharmacy into 2 containers and one sent to school. A child could die from an alergic reaction before he could reach the school nurse. I don't know how they handle diabetic testing supplies and insulin. What about children on a pump? I realize there is a drug problem in schools today but I think the school has taken it to far.

genie86333

I worked in a school for several years until last year - middle & high school. Our school was very small, so there was little chance of a child dying because of an allergic reaction before they (or someone) could get to me, but I do have to say that I feel that this was the best way of doing things. Unfortunately, some kids in middle school (and even some in high school) are not mature enough to be trusted with medications. You wouldn't believe how many times even the older students tried to convince me to give them 6 or 8 Tylenols at once, instead of the 2 they were allowed.

In addition to keeping track of the students who are taking the prescription, it also keeps the other students safe. Unfortunately, things get stolen at schools, and sometimes kids will be stupid enough to take pills they get ahold of, hoping it's something that will get them "high."

As for testing supplies, we had one student who was diabetic & we allowed her to keep her testing supplies with her, although she always chose to come to my desk to test because I had a sharps container available. Likewise, she would have been allowed to keep her pump on her if that had been the case. (If she wasn't on a pump, the insulin, like other medications would have been kept in an appropriate place, under lock & key.)

Ultimately, the schools are responsible for the kids who are there & controlling the situation is better than responding to it after the fact.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.