Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lisragdoll

12 weeks pregnant and bloodsugars not so good

lisragdoll

I just found out that i am 12 weeks pregnant. My BS have been ranging from 90-250 and on some bad days in the 300's. I really want to keep this baby but i don't want the baby to have any complications. Is it too late to get my sugars under controll and on to a healthy path for the baby? Please help me!!! I need advice!!?? Stories??!! The truth??!! and experience!!!

- Alissa :confused: :confused: :confused:

Keezheekoni

It's totally not too late to get your bgs under control. I've had 5 successful pregnancies, all while being diabetic. :D Many of us here have had children. Definitely do all you can to get under control! Eat healthy, just like anyone else. Take folic acid, it's never too late for that. Prenatal vitamins are an excellent idea as well, though during the 3rd trimester it was always hard for me to swallow them...couldn't get much into my stomach then, it was always being pushed on.

Go and see your OB and endo. Have them both follow you through your pregnancy. If you are having midwives, then skip the OB. Most nowadays don't label you high risk because you're diabetic, though they will definitely keep tabs on your protein and ketone output.

Congratulations!

birdyland

Wow, congrats! Of course it is not too late!

If you are not on insulin already, they will probably put you on it. Test, test,test and work with your docs. They will help you gain control. If you can get your A1C 6.2 or under, the complications from diabetes during pregnancy just about disappear. They will get you eating 6 times a day....within some specific guidelines.

I am trying to concieve, so they have me working under pregnancy numbers in order to stay in tight control when I do get pregnant. I already see an OB that specializes in diabetic patients, might be helpful if you can find one. You will also need to have more labs done than a nondiabetic, just to make sure everything is going well.

Good luck, and cram down those prenatals! I like the naturemade ones from costco. Not too bad to swollow (and I HATE taking pills), cheap, and recommended by my docs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.