Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dx011106

Hello loving parents!

Dx011106

I have been all over the web posting on various sites yesterday and today, but would like to reach as many people as quickly as possible to ensure a great turn out to Children's Congress, so please forgive me if you have seen this before, but:

Hi Everyone!

As you may gather from my username, I was diagnosed January 11, 2006. I had just turned 18 the month before, and without any family history, my family was quite shocked (my mom is a nurse, her father a neurologist and many of her siblings are also involved in the medical field). I'm almost 21 now and still discovering new things about my diabetes every day. Though I have not had diabetes for very long, I have found great support and information through Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

I am currently a Junior in college and I have received the opportunity to study in Washington, DC for the semester. With my program came two days each week set aside to intern for an organization of my choosing. I am now starting my third week and have been presented with a task: recruit families to apply for Children's Congress!

Unfortunately I was diagnosed too late for this amazing opportunity, but would love to pass the information along to anyone currently unaware:

For those of you that don't know, Children’s Congress organizes over a hundred children from across the country, ages 4-17 and living with type 1, in Washington, DC to meet with members of congress. The goal is to convey to the lawmakers what life is really like for children living with type 1 diabetes.

In years past, these children have met with members, testified in front of congress, and more. It can be a great experience for the kids and can have a highly beneficial impact on congress’ overall knowledge about diabetes and the funding necessary for a cure! There is still time to apply so I definitely recommend that anyone interested look into it at Children's Congress - Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International

More on me - I started off on Lantus/Humalog, but switched to a MiniMed Paradigm 522 (using Humalog) December 12, 2007. BEST decision of my life!

More on my parents, since each of you can relate to them - As noted, my mother is a RN (in OB/GYN for 20 years, now in the hospital with pre-operation care for high risk patients). She is probably the most compassionate and loving woman I have had the pleasure to know and learn from. My dad provides phenomenal support, love, and GREAT health insurance. Through diabetes, I have found a deep love for my family and have become very thankful for the strong support system they provide me. My parents were courageous and unselfish enough to allow me to attend college out of state. Reluctantly, they supported my decision to study here in DC for the semester.

Additionally, if you have any questions regarding Children's Congress or JDRF, please feel free to email me directly!

Mich

Hello Morgan,

Thank you for sharing this opportunity. I'm sure many parents will be interested.

Welcome to the forums. I'm glad you found us and I hope you come and visit often.

Mich

stevenson
Hidden

I am suffering with Diabetes. This site is very useful, and contains more helpful information about Diabetes and their remedies. I am very thankful to this site.

==================

Stevenson

Dx011106

Thank you for the welcome! I feel I can never get enough information about my diabetes, and this is another great outlet to use.

Dx011106

Applications for Children's Congress are due THIS MONDAY, OCTOBER 6TH!!!

Please feel free to email me or ask any questions you may have here!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.