Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tajmahal

Metaformin: anybody taking this ?

princesslinda

It can take 3-4 weeks to see optimal results, but when I took it, I noticed results pretty quickly. I started metformin, low-carb and regular exercise around the same time though, so all of them together gave me results pretty quickly.

shutterbug

Metformin is a very common first line of meds for type 2s. It took about 2 weeks for me to see the results. Going on a low carb diet helps you get BS down to normal range sooner.

cyberus

Another metformin note .. if you get bad gastrointestinal side effects from the metformin ask to switch to the extended release form ... its LOTS easier on the guts of most people.

tajmahal
;) Thanks for letting me know how metformin helped you. Already a regular exerciser(should do more but little energy). My food intake can use a tweaking but every time I try to reduce my food intake I am starving all the time.

princesslinda

When you feel hungry, have a few nuts, pork rinds, dill pickles or cheese...shouldn't have much effect on your blood sugar and will keep you full. You can reduce carbs w/o reducing food.

Hang in there!

buddy7

Hey tajmahal! Metformin is classified as the first line drug for T2 diabetes generally for overweight people and those with healthy or normal kidneys, sometimes a choice of medication for people with heart failure.

Metformin is the most popular anti-diabetic drug in the United States and one of the most prescribed drugs in the country overall, with nearly 35 million prescriptions filled in 2006 for generic metformin alone, I can assure you, you're not alone.

I wish you, all the best with this drug, hope it works for you.

B/7 ESSEX UK.

SeattleAD
Another metformin note .. if you get bad gastrointestinal side effects from the metformin ask to switch to the extended release form ... its LOTS easier on the guts of most people.

I have been on Metformin (regular) for 5 years and it seems like my negative symptoms have gotten worse. I started an exercise program that I thought would help and I'll be darned if my symptoms are not even worse even after I decreased the dosage a bit.

With these terrible symptoms, wonder if Metformin ER would help me. I have had negative reactions to glyburide and the other G drug which I can't remember right now. I am just at my wits end to try and get this diabetes under better control. I really hate to exercise but in losing fatty tissue, the metformin is not as effective. What now?

TomB

SeattleAD -

I'm having the same reaction. Got my weight down to 185, 6ft tall, and now that stuff makes me miserable. Got to stay near the honey bucket most of the day. Now I'm getting up a couple times during the night to make a visit. Got my A1c at 6.7 and I'm looking for an alternative to metformin.

Tom

mraymond

I started Meformin 500 mg 1x a day on August 19. My doctor upped it to 500 mg 2x a day on Sept. 4th. For the first dose, my bs levels came down to the 150's or 160's fasting in the morning. With the second dose, they are in the high 120's to high 130's, although this am they were 148 and last night 2 hrs. after dinner it was 150. Should it be coming down more than that? I called before I refilled the prescription yesterday to see if the dose should be upped and got a call back from the nurse that the doctor said the dose was "appropriate." I need to get my levels down to near normal and stabilized so that I can get my eye issues addressed and I am feeling very frustrated. Any comments would be appreciated.

mary

diagnosed June 30 '08

Initial A1C July 3 was 12.4

Sept 4 A1C was 7.5

princesslinda

Mraymond, are you watching your carbs and getting regular exercise as well as taking the metformin? You won't see the drastic drops taking metformin like you do with some of the other meds....it works in combination with diet/exercise, helping your body better use the insulin it makes.

If your morning #s are too high, consider taking the evening dose a little later in the evening, perhaps with a small snack at bedtime and see if this has any effect. When I took metformin, I took the evening dose around 10 p when I went to bed.

shutterbug
You won't see the drastic drops taking metformin like you do with some of the other meds....it works in combination with diet/exercise, helping your body better use the insulin it makes.

I agree. Low carb diet and exercise are key when taking metformin.

Betsey

I take 500mg of metformin once a day. Usually at dinner time and halfway through the meal. My numbers came down within two weeks. Then I went low carb and started eating mini meals every three hours and then my numbers dropped to the high eighties or nineties and have hung out there nicely; except if I eat a piece of pizza. Then it goes right up. I'm looking to get off the metformin but don't know what the criteria is for that to happen. I have an appt. with my doctor in a month. So I'll just ask then.

davef
I agree. Low carb diet and exercise are key when taking metformin.

Ditto

Low carb, exercise and metformin has worked for me but there is one other thing missing from the list ...... visiting Diabetes Forums .... I really think that it is important to have the support of people who are/have gone through what I am going through.

Cassini

I just started Metformin 3 days ago. Expecting some "sides" I was prepared for the regular gastro problems and yes, have them. I am hoping this will go with time as most of you have managed to have happen... months and months feeling like this is just too much to think of.

The nausea is what gets me, it's not just regular nausea.. my whole body feels pain and weakness, for hours after the dose. I am afraid to take it this morning at all, but will.

I am getting the low carb thing and have started doing more exercise but still have a huge problem eating breakfast at all. This has been an issue for me for years, I understand that it is the most important meal of the day but I seriously am not hungry. I have been forcing myself to choke down a mini meal along with the meds and then don't feel like lunch or even supper (I guess this will help with the weight loss!:D )

I have noticed my usual headache is minimalizing but I am exhausted and *****y as ****

well, I guess these are the woes of diabetes that I will have to become accustomed to.

So far in my opinion: YUCK:puke:

Cass:T

mraymond

Thanks for your support! Yes, I am doing fairly low carbs -- around 100 a day and lots of exercise, and I guess my numbers are trending downward, but I'm impatient because my eyes are bothering me and they can't deal with them until my bs levels stabilize. I'm not used to ever going to the doctor and the one I see was very nice at first -- spent an hour with me the first visit, but the last visit was rushed. I have blurred vision -- bleeding retina, but fortunately not in the middle and cataracts and neuropathy in my feet. I guess I should just wait it out and hope things get better in the next month or so.

Thanks,

Mary

SeattleAD
SeattleAD -

I'm having the same reaction. Got my weight down to 185, 6ft tall, and now that stuff makes me miserable. Got to stay near the honey bucket most of the day. Now I'm getting up a couple times during the night to make a visit. Got my A1c at 6.7 and I'm looking for an alternative to metformin.

Tom

Tom, if you find something that works for you, please do post it. It might not work for me, but I am certainly opening to trying other things. I am watching carbs and been exercising 3-5 times a week on a treadmill.

I just can't get my numbers below 7. It's 7.4 now. My outside doc seems to think that between 7 and 8 is ok. The doc at the VA that I see, wants it below 7. I am finding that extremely difficult.

Real4
. Then it goes right up. I'm looking to get off the metformin but don't know what the criteria is for that to happen. I have an appt. with my doctor in a month. So I'll just ask then.

The criteria are simple. Can you maintain the good BG with just diet and exercise, If yes then it's OK, if not, then you go back on.

So stop taking it and test often. You'll know in a week or less. Make sure that you then tell your doctor, if you stop the drug.

If you succeed in getting off the metformin, be prepared to eventually, in a couple of years maybe, to go back on. The disease is unfortunately progressive.

cyberus
The criteria are simple. Can you maintain the good BG with just diet and exercise, If yes then it's OK, if not, then you go back on.

So stop taking it and test often. You'll know in a week or less. Make sure that you then tell your doctor, if you stop the drug.

If you succeed in getting off the metformin, be prepared to eventually, in a couple of years maybe, to go back on. The disease is unfortunately progressive.

My doc said that unless number went down *too* far to expect to stay on meds. Reason given was that even under control the lower you stay the less chance of increasing insuln resistence aka freeze or slow progression.

herbalcroft

I started out taking metformin and had uncontrollable runs and had to go off of it. The quality of my life having to run to the bathroom so often was terrible. I just had to go off and went to the extended release. Linda

Real4
My doc said that unless number went down *too* far to expect to stay on meds. Reason given was that even under control the lower you stay the less chance of increasing insuln resistence aka freeze or slow progression.

I misstated my statement. I should have written "control as good" as with the the drug. Metformin does not produce lows, so "too far' is not an issue.

MODY-RN

I take Metformin 3 times a day... my numbers on my glucose monitor seem OK, not great... (low 100's fasting, 130-150 post prandial). My issue is this, I am thin and have trouble with the low carb thing because I can't keep weight on! My A1C won't budge (now 6.3, has always been above 6)... maybe I am just super neurotic over where I want my control to be (RN...) but I'm just not achieving it...

ErikaA
I take Metformin 3 times a day... my numbers on my glucose monitor seem OK, not great... (low 100's fasting, 130-150 post prandial). My issue is this, I am thin and have trouble with the low carb thing because I can't keep weight on! My A1C won't budge (now 6.3, has always been above 6)... maybe I am just super neurotic over where I want my control to be (RN...) but I'm just not achieving it...

Off topic and silly question... my GP put me on metformin and my endo took me off it on the grounds that I'm a tad skinny for classicc type 2 and possibly MODY... and i was getting thinner on it. I tried low carb and got better bgls but i lose too much weight on it.

I was given to understand that MODY did not exhibit insulin resistance so there is no point in me taking it... I'm supposed to eat moderate amounts of carbs and they're supposed to be medicating me with sufficient diamicron to allow for it. Are you sure that metformin is appropriate for you?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.