Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tajmahal

Metaformin: anybody taking this ?

MODY-RN

Metformin seems to be the first line for internists to put diabetics on. My MD didn't even know what MODY was at first. My daughter sees a Peds Endo and takes Amaryl. I would love to get off Metformin as it makes me feel like garbage a lot of the time. I just don't want to ruin the relationship I have with her and go to an Endo behind her back. I know that I am in charge but making that jump is hard for me. It does frustrate me that my A1C won't drop and seems to be trending up... Like you I can't eat low carb so my blood sugars must suffer somewhat, but I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place...

TomB

Hello Mody-RN,

I did a Google search on "Mody" and got a bit of an idea about what it is. Then I re-read your post and figured that you are probably one frustrated parent and patient. Perhaps I can give you some tidbits of the little wisdom I have so you might have a better day.

I found a doc who seems to know a lot about diabetes medications and how they mix with all the other stuff I take, which is a lot. He also takes the time to talk with me, as in having a real conversation. Some things he said hit the point. It went something like this:

Diabetes is a custom disease, no 2 people have the exact same condition and those conditions are constantly changing. That makes some doctors frustrated because they can't treat is like a cold or a broken arm. The type 1 and 2 thing is a feeble attempt to have 2 groups of one size fits all for treatment but that doesn't even work. Therefore, the best medicine can do is treat the symptoms. It's a big help when the patient is knowledgable with those symptoms, that way changing meds is made more intelligently.

Ok, enough sermonizing. Fact is, I hated metformin, stomach, runs, you know it. Got really bad when I dropped from 200 to 180 the last few months. But worse though is that I have very active and unpredictable CAD and PAD so I need to stay off metformin when I get angiogram dye. My doc put all that together, turned off the met and started me on Lantos. Quote: "Let's try it, test often and call if your numbers go haywire."

Bottom line is that I think that a diabetic needs to know his/her disease, understand that it is always changing and have to find and work "with" a doctor to treat it.

Best to you and yours,

Tom

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.