Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJ7

Anyone taking Cinnamon?

JJ7

I've read in many places that just a 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon a day can help lower blood sugar. As it's a safe spice I thought I might have a go. I added some to a chilled glass of splenda sweetened 1% milk, and it tasted awful. :rolleyes:

Is anyone taking Cinammon and if so, have you noticed a difference in your testing results. Any suggestions of a better way of taking it?

lgvincent

I've been taking it, but I haven't noticed any difference in my dose of insulin. The only way I've come up with eating it is by sprinkling it on apples, like I used to sprinkle salt. There are some other threads here about the use of cinnamon and I'll see if I can find one and bring it forward so you can find it easier.

lgvincent

I moved 3 forward that I thought might be of interest to you, two in diabetes and one in other medications. You can use the search engine up at the top to look for other threads where cinnamon is discussed, too.

JJ7

Thank you lgvincent. I read all the previous posts and got some ideas how to mix the cinnamon in with foods to make it a bit more pleasant.

As I expected, it works for some, not for others. Fingers X it works for me.:)

mariwood

As with all suggestions and news concerning supplements and herbal remedies for lowering blood glucose....It depends. I find by reading certain posts that these measures work well with people who remain in their "honeymoon" period or have no insulin resistance with which to complicate things, or they are newly diagnosed and not yet on meds which also complicate things. People who low carb can get better results with supplements and herbal remedies because they have better control to begin with. If you feel a supplement will override a few chocolate chip cookies, think again. But now I am lecturing and I do not mean to condescend. But in the back of our minds, these thoughts do pop up. I have yet to find a supplement that works for me. I do have some amazing results while consuming roasted garlic. And it must be roasted. I have seen my blood sugar really respond to it. I have tried cinnamon, and I had sprinkled it on lowfat sugar free yogurt, faithfully, several weeks in a row, also consuming it in my tea. No help whatsoever. You may benefit from it and maybe roasted garlic won't work for you. Try it. There is nothing to lose. I do believe however, that it may be wise to research the kind of cinnamon and form of cinnamon it takes to perform this experiment. I used the common kind.

JJ7

I used the common kind of cinnamon too. I did do some research and the consensus was there is no difference between expensive and supermarket brands, it all works, or doesn't work, the same.

As for the roasted garlic, I put it in everything. Well, almost everything. Just love the stuff.

I'm following low carb diet, and cutting out the "bad fat". I'm one of those weird people who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies so no worries there :D

Philly-Mike

Cinnamon on Apple Sauce is how I get mine, but then, I've always put cinnamon on my apple sauce. As for supliments, how about Alpha Lipoic Acid, there's a lot of talk about that and I've been using it, haven't noticed a great difference yet though. You can get it in a multivitamin called Alpha-Betic which is supposed to be good. Anyone tried that with any success?

Mike

JJ7

I've been putting the cinnamon in Blue Bunny brand vanilla yoghurt and that tastes very nice. I've also mixed it in with other flavours. Black cherry works very well too.

kctowers

I have started drinking cinnamon and apple fruit tea with an extra half teaspoon of cinnamon powder added. Results: My bgl's were up, not down. I will continue for a while longer to be fair to this idea.

Keith

:confused:

KLD

The cinnamon thing did nothing for me, Keith (except give me severe digestive problems!). For several weeks, I took a teaspoonful a day, and it had no effect on my blood sugar levels at all. I know people that it did help, though, so, as is so often the case, it seems to affect us all differently.

Karen

Philly-Mike

You mean to tell me I'm not writing this on some kind of huge cockroach and you're not all wearing blue panties? Dang! Cinnamon rocks!

kctowers

Karen,

Is that why I have been stuck on the loo and holding on tight for the past week? Enough of this. I might try mixing some with table spread and put it on my toast in the morning. The things we do to make life easier!

Keith

:whistling

KickStart101

Well, regular cinnamon certainly can't do you wrong, it

makes food taste better like sprinkled over baked apples,

your oatmeal, on toast, etc. I do not see any difference in

my sugar-levels however. I think it is Pakistani cinnamon they

are talking about however to level out or lower your sugar

levels. The sand that the cinnamon grows in over there is

different of course, so that is supposedly what does the trick.

I'll have to check the other boards if that's where I saw it.

Of course, I'm not saying that is true either it may be jibberish.

KLD

I've been away for a few days and just saw your question now, Keith. That may very well be the reason for your problems - it certainly affected me that way. I love cinnamon and have never had a problem with small amounts of it, but I started having real problems when I started taking the teaspoon a day. I eat a very restricted low carb diet, so it was easy for me to figure out that the only change in my diet had been the cinnamon. I cut it out, and the problems disappeared. I waited a few weeks before adding any cinnamon at all back into my diet, but I've done so now and don't have any problem with small amounts added to other foods.

Karen

duck
Originally posted by kctowers

Karen,

Is that why I have been stuck on the loo and holding on tight for the past week? Enough of this. I might try mixing some with table spread and put it on my toast in the morning. The things we do to make life easier!

Keith

:whistling

Is that anything like the "sorbitol effect"?

I saw in the local pharmacy yesterday Cinammon extract specifically for diabetics. I didn't buy it, but maybe I will, you never know. In the past I did not notice any improvement with Cinammon being added to my diet, but I probably didn't take enough to do anything meaningful.

JJ7

I've been reading a lot about it and it doesn't seem to work for everyone. I think the most success is with T2 diabetics.

From what I can tell, it doesn't matter what brand you use. It's all the same.

I wouldn't recommend buying tablets unless you hate the taste - cinammon is pretty cheap.

sicdb

Interesting article on Cinnamon and Diabetes: http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994413

I'm new to being scared about diabetes. 53 years old, 70 pounds overweight, but fairly active (racquetball, swimming, golf), and a kid at heart. I'm still in "discovery" mode, trying to learn all I can about living with and controlling Diabetes - fasting BG ranges from 107 to 147, with an occasional spike to 180, altho I can attribute that to partying and eating late.

These forums are great tonic for the newly initiated - the humor and awareness that I'm not alone offer more than a little help.

sicdb

Thanks to a posting by JJ7 a few weeks ago, I started reading about and using cinnamon in my morning coffee. I thought I saw an immediate improvement, but didn't want to jump to conclusions.

I've pulled some rough "data" based on 20 days of using cinnamon:

My average fasting glucose (mg/dcl) is 106.8 with a high of 114 over the past 10 days. The previous ten readings averaged 131.1 with a high of 158. The only thing I've been doing differently is taking cinnamon.

Paul (mnocdb)

Tweety

:)

I've read in many places that just a 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon a day can help lower blood sugar. As it's a safe spice I thought I might have a go. I added some to a chilled glass of splenda sweetened 1% milk, and it tasted awful. :rolleyes:

Is anyone taking Cinammon and if so, have you noticed a difference in your tes

ting results. Any suggestions of a better way of taking it?

I haven been taking cinnamon for several months now and I don't see much of a difference. It is suppose to bring your cholesterol level down too. I put it in oatmeal with splenda and it doesn't taste bad.

Tweety

jacobsam622

When I eat cinnamon in the morning with my breakfast my blood sugar will be low all day. It works best if I mix it with Splenda( :1eye: ) and put it on toast. I use peanut butter two slices equeal about 30 cargs well below my allotted 90 a meal. I have tried putting in capsules but its not as effective :eek:

I like to put it in coffee. It works this way as well but cinnamon is not water soluble so you have to mix it alot :P

remember not every thing will work for every body

ice cream has very little effect on my blood sugar while oter things make it shoot through the roof. :P

Jeffrey,

nickh

I've tried taking cinnamon a number of ways and have settled on two ways that large amounts are palatable day after day.

The first, as suggested above, is on oatmeal with Splenda. The other way is with my daily "dessert". I eat a low carb yogurt (Dannon Light&Fit carb Control - 6g carbs/cup) with cinnamon, ~2 tbsp wheat germ for crunchiness and added fiber, and Splenda. If I'm really craving sweets, this hits the spot.

No matter what, I need Splenda with it. I don't mind plain oatmeal or yogurt, but when I add the cinnamon I like something to cut its bitterness.

jacobsam622

This sounds like something out of the B movie The Stuff - :1eye: "Dannon Light&Fit carb Control - 6g carbs/cup" :eek:

My favorite line from that movie is!

"are you eating it or is it eating you"

Actually Herbal tea with Cinnamon works the best as far i am concerned I see at least 10 mg/dl drop in blood sugar with this ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.