Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jenny

To take meds or not to take meds...that is the question

Jenny

WEll I was dxd with pre-diabetes about 1.5 yrs ago. The doc put me on diet and exercise for awhile but I was yo-yoing too much. Then she put me on Actos and it seemed to help. However I am afraid of the potential side-effects so I stopped taking it and have been watching more of what I eat and exercising more. This last Hba1C was great! I even did it without the meds. So what do you all think about this med thing? Is it really needed in pre-d's or is it not? What has been your experience?

sicdb

I am working on controlling a pre-diabetic condition via diet and exercise. I became aware of my "condition" several months ago when I overheard two co-workers discussing their diabetic concerns. I had been experiencing what I call "cotton toes", a strange feeling as if I had little wads of cotton stuck under my toes.

I immediately started checking fasting glucose and found myself frequently between 130 and 140. Cutting back on alcohol use, not eating after 8:00 pm, and cutting out high-sugar and white flour foods got me under control within a few weeks. I was exercising (swimming or treadmill) 4 to 6 mornings per week, 30 minutes per, and weight loss just seemed to fall into place.

Once I knew I could control the situation easily, I became less religious in both diet and exercise, and started testing only a few times per week. Needless to say, fasting glucose started to rise again.

I'm back on track now, and more committed than before. Some of us are fortunate that we can control the issue, for now, without medication. Some people can't, and some people who can control without meds can't or won't stay on top of it, therefore needing the meds.

mg_2204

... Would having 3 diabetic pregnancies be considered pre-diabetic?

Meds or not, I don't know what would be the best solution. To first monitor BG closely comes to mind, changing the diet, exercice more, etc but most importantly to know everything there is to know about the disease. Get to know the facts, the complications, and it should really help a person to stay focussed. Knowledge is power! That is exactly what I terribly lacked back then. Just perhaps things would be different for me today, who knows?

I was given Diamicron a year after the birth of my last child. Doc told me I was still in the 'grey area' and I shouldn't. By the way, and still to this day, I don't have a clue what he meant by 'grey area'. Still don't know what numbers I had then! I took Diamicron, ate like a lumberjack (had to)... and would have terrible hypos anyway and faint. Dose was reduced and reduced until the only option was to perhaps lick the pill once only ;) The doctor said he didn't know what to do with me anymore. Again, my lack of KNOWLEDGE of the disease kept me from seeking better medical advice. I was years without seeing a doctor. Awful, isn't it? They say ignorance is bliss. Not sure about that...

Marie

:)

Shalyndria

Posted by archimeech on 11-23-2004 05:47 AM:

Ignorance is bliss, death is devine, Marie! lol

Find a doctor that is willing to actually speak with you about your meds. Someone who will listen to you and explain things rather than just tell you what to do. Ultimately it's your choice and your life. Make the best educated decision you can for yourself.

Posted by sicdb on 11-23-2004 07:08 AM:

quote:

Originally posted by archimeech

Find a doctor that is willing to actually speak with you about your meds. Someone who will listen to you and explain things rather than just tell you what to do. Ultimately it's your choice and your life. Make the best educated decision you can for yourself. [/b]

This is the best response yet! One of my biggest concerns with doctors is the "standard response" treatment, i.e. "you've got some disease, take this medication, come back in 6 weeks".

Find a doctor who will listen to your concerns and to your questions. Always ask:

"Is there a non-medication treatment"

"Is the medication for life, or can I get off it".

"What can I do in my life's actions to improve this?"

"What can happen if I follow each course of action (lifetime med, short term med, no med)?"

"What symptoms should concern me between this appointment and my next one?"

Healthcare requires "treatment partners" - your doctor is the "technical expert" treatment partner. Standard response doctors are not partnering, they are only knee-jerk responding.

On the other hand, once you find the right doctor, listen and act, even if the message is unpleasant.

Posted by Jenny on 11-23-2004 09:12 PM:

ARchimeech, I agree. It is good to have a doc who is supportive and will listen to your concerns and not just blow you off because they are in a hurry. Mine is pretty good. LOL although she doesn't know I am off my meds...I am scared of telling her.

And Marie, it sounds like a good thing (in my opinion) maybe to consider switching docs.

sicdb...for me it was hard to get started on a diet/exercise routine but once I did it got easier to stick with the program.

Posted by mg_2204 on 11-24-2004 12:11 AM:

That was a long time ago Jenny, back in 1992. I was officially diagnosed in 94. I did join a support group in 96 or 97 only to realize others had been pretty much left on their own too. Awful!

Over here in England, I have the best of care.

Marie

Posted by Jenny on 11-24-2004 09:27 AM:

That is great Marie! Glad to hear that!

Jenny

Yes I have been off meds for about 4 months now and my bg are fine. I am keepign off excess weight I lost still by exercising....hope this keeps me in good shape.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.