Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCaplinger

Pharmacy Funnies

DCaplinger

Okay, here's my latest pharmacy funny story.

I recently moved across town. The store I chose to move my stuff to, is in the same chain as my old pharmacy, however, they aren't computer linked.

The Pharmacy manager thought my insulin dosing seemed a bit weird, so he called the doctors office to confirm it. The script had said "Inject at least 3 times per day, between 95 - 120 units daily." Well, when he confirmed it, he typed it in as "Inject 95 - 120 units 3 times daily". So, when they filled it, and I got there to get my insulin, instead of getting my 2 boxes, I got 7. I was like... how many months did you fill it for. He said "one". I read the script.. and blurted out... "Dear Lord, do you realize how many carbs I'd have to eat to keep up with that kind of dose!!!". Funny thing is, the insurance company approved it.

End of story, I got 3 1/2 months worth of insulin for $20. LOL. That's 35 pens. I basically saved $50, because of their error. I won't need to fill it again until next year. Hehehe. Thankfully, the pens are good for a year, while refrigerated.

Oh, and look at my sig... my latest A1c is now 7.3, down almost a full percent from my last of 8.1! :)

Regards,

Mich

Hey Darian,

Good for you on getting your A1C down! Now you'll be moving food around in the fridge for a while trying to put all of that insulin somewhere!

If I were a wishing sort, I'd LOVE to go back to the days when they trusted us diabetics to buy our own insulin. We could just go into the pharmacy, get a bottle or a box with a small or no co-pay. We all kept one to use and a spare in the fridge.

It sure made things easier and cheaper not to be second-guessed by insurance companies.

Oh, and also it would be great if pigs could fly, too. :T

Mich

genie86333

Good thing *you* know the difference! That could have spelled real trouble for a newbie!

But, since it works for you & saves money, great! Also, congrats on the A1C!

TxBirdNerd

I recently switched to a new pharm. The script said "two vials of Novolog" for insulin pump use.

The girl at the window asked me a wait a minute while she checked stock. When she returned she said "we'll have to order this, we don't carry insulin for pumps".

I asked her if she carried Novolog in vials. She said yes. I told her that's what I needed. And she made a note on the script and acted like it was a special request.

When I picked it up, I asked if they carried sharps containers. They said they didn't know what a sharps container was. Just then, I noticed the BD Sharps Disposal Container on the shelf behind the counter.

Sometimes it is really scary when you realize that these are the same folks that fill my scripts.

:(

xMenace
Hey Darian,

Good for you on getting your A1C down! Now you'll be moving food around in the fridge for a while trying to put all of that insulin somewhere!

If I were a wishing sort, I'd LOVE to go back to the days when they trusted us diabetics to buy our own insulin. We could just go into the pharmacy, get a bottle or a box with a small or no co-pay. We all kept one to use and a spare in the fridge.

It sure made things easier and cheaper not to be second-guessed by insurance companies.

Oh, and also it would be great if pigs could fly, too. :T

Mich

Move to Canada! That's how it works here. This mail order **** sounds crazy!

ThunderBolt147

I think my pharmacy - or perhaps GP - are taking the piddle... I only ever seem to get enough for a week or 2 of everything.

I hope they don't know something I don't!!! :eek:

pinkbenjiblue

dear dcaplinger....Good for you!! BTW, your results are really going down nicely..You should be so proud!! Renee

LaughSing

Congrats on the a1c, and the score, Darian!

Pharmacies can be VERY funny places. To make a long story as short as possible, it turns out one of my cats, Echo, is neurologically similar to an autistic human, and he gets -- and stays -- stressed, so the vet prescribed amitriptyline for him. But the vet doesn't carry that, so I had to go to the human pharmacy for it. Off I go.

They're quite happy to fill this for me, but we have to enter Echo into the system as if he's human. Name, date of birth, sex, the whole nine yards. It'll be ready in about an hour.

I come back to pick it up.

"So, is there any insurance on Echo?"

"Um, he's my cat."

Blank stare.

"Excuse me?"

"My CAT."

Blank stare.

"Whiskers, fur, paws?"

"Oh. Okay. No insurance, then?"

"No."

"Okay, then. And he's taking this... to help him sleep?"

(When was the last time you saw a cat with insomnia, really?)

"No, it's for stress."

Blank stare.

I shrug.

"All right, then, just give him one a day. That'll be twelve dollars."

It took them six months to stop asking me if there was insurance on Echo. Now... I know people give their kids interesting first names, but... c'mon, my last name is Coe. My mother thought about naming me Echo, but... say it out loud, "Echo Coe". That's just one of those things that happens to pregnant women, you don't actually DO that to a kid! :T

foxl

LaughSing, what a cute story!

I buy OTC miralax and suppositories for my elderly cat ... and have to go er, uhhhm, every time! He also gets ham baby food at the grocery, when there is clearly no baby with us, and it is the only meat in the cart!

retired60

My last visit, the nurse sliped up and wrote my prescription for 12 refills(insulin). Thought I had gone to heaven.

foxl
My last visit, the nurse sliped up and wrote my prescription for 12 refills(insulin). Thought I had gone to heaven.

WOO HOO! Or, maybe it was deliberate?

GeishaGirl

Woohoo! I wish! I hate being held hostage to my endo for my insulin!

soso

Although I can get anything I want..I also *get* to pay for it at full price..except for about once every 2-3 years our "fair Pharmacare' kicks in in late December ...it rolls back to zero on Jan 1st... but for those few precious days we get a 70% discount (but not on everything..go figure, analog insulins only partly covered?!)

I got a script for 15 tests a day and scored 1500 test strips (3 month max supply allowed) for $300 instead of $1200.... it was hilarious to see the girl staggering out from the back balancing all the boxes....fair cheered me up..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.