Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shutterbug

Did you get your FLU shots yet?

Did you get your FLU shots yet?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get your FLU shots yet?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't believe in FLU shots

notme

I would have voted "no, but getting one" if that had been listed. So I had to vote just "no" because I haven't had one yet.

princesslinda

We usually get the flu shot the end of October in our office...so i'll be getting one, just haven't had it yet.

Tiger Lily

the flu shot won't be available until the middle of Oct

i'm going on Oct 16

the public health nurses do the flu shots here, and they set up in a large building, you take a number and have a seat until your number is called....... if i get over there right after school is out (kidlet gets a flu shot too), then there isn't much of a line up........ get there at 4:45pm and you will be waiting until 6:15pm for your number to be called!

tip for those getting the flu shot....... hold your elbow and support your upper arm with your other arm, this relaxes the muscles in your arm and the shot doesn't hurt near as much! i was AMAZED at how well this tip worked for me, and kidlet

enigmalady777
I would have voted "no, but getting one" if that had been listed. So I had to vote just "no" because I haven't had one yet.

Same here. My HMO (Kaiser) doesn't start the Flu clinic until next week.

I've pretty much gotten one almost every year since being diagnosed, the few times I didn't I caught every bug within a 10 mile radius of me.....:T

morrisma

Just got mine. I asked at the front desk when I was paying my co-pay and they said not yet. Doc offered it as I was getting ready to leave. She said that since I wasn't due back too soon, she'd do it now & save me the trip. Yeah!

I was the first one done in that office.

Mike

CookD

I've never thought of getting a flu shot before. In the past I've rarely been sick, maybe once a year. Does anyone have a scientific argument that would convince me to get a shot?

fgummett

Type 2 Diabetes can compromise your immune system leaving you not only open to more infections but also at a reduced ability to "fight them" if an infection occurs. Not 100% sure why..? but I have read that we (with D) exist in a state of chronic inflammation which adds stress to our whole body. For myself I have noted that even with "good" BS readings even a small cut can take many times longer to heal than it would have done previously. In Canada we (with D) and our immediate family can get them for free.

shutterbug

Not sure, if I can go back and change the options in the poll. Please reply to this post once you get your flu shots and keep the thread updated. This will serve as a reminder to other members in the forum.

I just got mine today at work. I have read in many places about the importance of getting flu shots for diabetics.

cyberus

The last time I *got* the flu and was sick sick with it was after I got a company mandated flu shot ... the times before were the yearly flu shot in the USAF.

In other wordsthe only time I ever get really sick with the flu is when I get a shot .. why would I subject myself to that?

HOWEVER comma pause .... thats just me, I do not actually advocate not getting a shot as the decision everyone should make.

Kat

I got mine two days ago and OH how my arm has been KILLING me! I got another shot on my other arm so both were sore and hurting but then the other got better and the flu one has been murderous. My arm was warm, swollen in wierd ways, can't lift it, hurts really bad, GAH!!! But it's getting better now, it still is really super sore and hurts but is getting better. This was only my second flu shot ever so I don't know if this is normal or not but I read stuff online and these were common side effects...I also have a sore throat and that sucks =P BUT I'm happy I got it and am looking forward to hopefully NOT getting sick =D and we are celebrating my birthday today in the CITY!!! Yay! ok done. heh

birdyland

I voted that I don't believe.... only because I cannot have them!!!!

My arm turns bright red, burning hot to the touch, HURTS badly, and gets stiff for a week.

No, I'm not allergic to eggs, I can eat organic, hormone free eggs just fine. Regular, mass farmed, hormone laden, junk fed eggs make me sick... it's something in that mix that I am allergic to. I doubt they use expensive organic eggs to grow the vaccines.

alicat61

:) Hi,

I had My Flu shot in the end of March :D

We have it every year, Over here it is free for over 60's

I get mine free from work.

I used to think that it was better to build up natural immunity

after getting married 6 years ago my Hubby insisted I get one as they all did because of his elderly father.

Now I beleive they are the way to go. Also get the pneumonia one every 5 years.

The reason I was a bit worried about getting them was a woman at work would always be really sick after hers.

last year we all had got our flu shots and still got the wordt Flu I have ever had. Death was looking good there at one stage LOL:D Different strain

I had a friend who got the flu turned into pneumonia and died at 42 so all the more reason to have the shots.

EeyoreButterfly

I voted no, but will be getting mine Monday. The Health Department sent our school nurse extra doses, and now that she has done all the teachers she has offered it to us interns. I know that working in the schools, especially since I am only an intern, I will probably catch any bug that goes around. I'm surprised I haven't yet- we have one student whos is a spitter and he has spitted in my eyes at least twice! :eek:

It is not worth the risk!

SunniD

I am allergic to formaldehyde which is a preservative in all flu shots.

When aspartaime breaks down it forms formaldehyde and PKU

and I now react very strongly to formadehyde.

No wonder I used to get soooooooooooooo............. sick from those darn shots. Now I have finally figured out why.

If I wasn't allergic, I would definetly consider taking the flu shots as I do believe they are beneficial. I did have doctors check out if any were made without formaldehyde to preserve them and the company informed us all flu shots had formadehyde as a preservative.

SunniD

Penny

I am getting mine, but waiting for one of the local stores to have their clinic. Got it at my doctor's office last year and it ended up costing me $60, it is $28 at one of the clinics. For some reason insurance does not pay for the shot, and my doctor charges extra for his staff to administer them. Considering how adept we all are at injections, if they had just told me, I would have given it to myself!

buddy7

You can say I've cheated a little here, my flu jab, are due on Monday 13th 10.00 AM, won't miss the appointment for any thing.

B/7 ESSEX UK.

verynicebecky

I voted no but I will be getting one as soon as they start to administer them at my local VA hospital. I will be going to check on it this week.

Tiger Lily
I am allergic to formaldehyde which is a preservative in all flu shots.

When aspartaime breaks down it forms formaldehyde and PKU

and I now react very strongly to formadehyde.

No wonder I used to get soooooooooooooo............. sick from those darn shots. Now I have finally figured out why.

If I wasn't allergic, I would definetly consider taking the flu shots as I do believe they are beneficial. I did have doctors check out if any were made without formaldehyde to preserve them and the company informed us all flu shots had formadehyde as a preservative.

SunniD

does this limit your foods that you can eat? apples break down into formaldehyde as well, just as an example

:(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.