Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shutterbug

Did you get your FLU shots yet?

Did you get your FLU shots yet?  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get your FLU shots yet?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't believe in FLU shots

lugnut48

Haven't gotten one . . . ever and I don't plan on starting. I can't remember the last time I had the flu . . . maybe elementary school? I dunno . . . I just don't get the flu. My wife will get sick as a dog . . . and I never catch it. I guess I'm lucky...

I'm one of those freaks that rarely get sick, never had a cavity, never broke a bone, never had a cold sore, and never had a nose bleed. :D On the flip side, I'm sure I'll be one of those people who have a heart attack or stroke at 30 years old - haha!

sable_032592

i missed it last year, though i get it every year... my father and mother usually get one too... in case no one has guessed, i live with my parents even though i'm 32... financially i can't afford to live on my own and medically, my medical team (gp, endo, nurse, etc) won't let me, i'm too high risk for lows that go unnoticed and my coma in 99 almost killed me so even my parents don't want me to leave...

the flu shot for diabetics, asthmatics, elderly and children are free here, and my mother's is free as well since she lives with 2 diabetics... i'll probably get mine in the next few weeks...

adiantum

I voted.. dont believe in them.

I used to become very ill after having these shots.

Not had them in 5yrs nor had the flu in that time.

At the first sign of cough, sneeze, sore throat etc I take zinc lozenges or zinc & vit C tabs but keep them in my mouth as long as possible for absorbtion through the mouth tissue.

squidsdc

No, insurance does not cover the flu shot, whether one is diabetic or senior citizen. However, my boss reimburses the office to get flu shots, because we can't afford to have the entire office down. The building where I work will have a visiting nurse give shots at the end of the month. I had that as an option, or I could've gone to a clinic down the street, or to a local CVS, Costco, Grocery store, etc. Many options abound, and most are charging the same price--$30. I was able to actually get mine last week when my husband's office gave them out for free to employees, and $23 for spouses. I was glad to get it earlier rather than later, as I am already beginning to hear of people getting ill, whether it be from the flu or a virus.

Coppernob

I got mine last Tuesday. I religiously go each year to get it as the flu and I don't get on well. It really knocks the stuffing out of me. Once, many years ago, I managed to have it twice in the space of 6 months!

gettingby

Just found out Friday that my endo's office is currently giving them. Need to call and make an appt. Last time I didn't get mine, I got bronchitis and could not get rid of it for a while.

Penny

How many of you get flu shots for your children? The grandkid is really prone to Strep throat, but seems to get everything that comes around. She just got over something, fever, congestion and vomiting, it lasted about 4 days (that is how long she was really sick). I thought I read that the flu shot was recommended for school age kids, and I think she needs to have it.

Scrabblechick

I don't believe in flu shots for me, personally. Like cyberus, I've been sick when I've taken one. Plus, I've known three people personally who got Bell's Palsy after having their flu shots.

And last year, they didn't guess right about the most prevalent flu, and the shot didn't cover the one that most people got.

I haven't the flu in 20 years and hope to keep it that way!

IrishJoe

I found out that its E45 EACH for my dad and I to get the shot.. even though its free... its totally a rip off. I mean my mum could give the shots herself !!

Sod that *I* could - its very annoying.. the shot is free the doctor isn't!:mad:

w5wjp

Got it last week...they were having a clinic at the grocery store when I was there. Cost $25, would have only been only my $12 co-pay at GP's office but then I would have lost nearly half days work.

Funnygrl

Flu shots really do nothing to prevent things like bronchitis and strep. It's a vaccination against various strains of influenza, therefore protecting one from a strep bacteria or a virus that cuases strep no more than Gardisil prevents chicken pox.

Cormac_Doyle

I will be getting min on the 6th of November ... so "not yet" (which isn't an option in your poll)

ARW

I've been getting shots for 7 years now, the flu I got 8 years ago was real bad. I'm thinking they get worse as you age. No thanks!

HollyB

I only sort of believe in the flu shot, but my mom is 85 and my M-I-L lives in a senior's complex. Both are here in town and we see them frequently, so we do it mostly for their sake (and for the others in the home, some of whom are very frail).

Tattoo azz

Got mine done a while ago, but didn't see this thread till tonight (oops). The nurse almost pushed the syringe all the way through my arm! Didn't shout at her though cos she was quite pretty:D. I was the youngest in the waiting room, all the others would give Methuzella a run for his money! lol

ChaCha

Got mine 2 days ago!

I can only remember having the flu once as an adult. Ended up with pneumonia and spent 6 days in the hospital. Never again!

jkane13

Work is giving them next week. I signed up.

I don't get my kids the shots any more. I did when they were under 5, but not since then. Although I support the flu shot and think it is a good idea, I am still a bit old fashioned, and accept the concept of letting a child's natural immune system learn how to defend itself. Kids are much more resilient, and they can handle a day of the flu much better than a middle aged adult can.

Scarlett

I didn't get one yet but (I guess) I should...I haven't had 1 in many , many years and I haven't been sick in many, many years-can anyone tell me why I should get it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.