Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

douglisa

What meds for chest cold?

douglisa

I have asthma so when I get a chest cold it can really make me sick. Often I end up with bronchitis or pnumonia.

I used to used Nyquil or prescription syrup but now that I am diabetic I don't know what is good. I tried the Robitussin for diabetics but it does not help, I need somthing really strong that would preferably knock me out so I can get good sleep.

It must be an expectorant and cough suppresant.

I LOVE the Ricola sugar free cough drops!! They work nicely and taste so good!

Thank you, Lisa

notme

Hi Lisa, I also use Ricola and have been known on occassion to just go ahead and use the Nyquil. Problem with Nyquil is it will knock you out, and then just as quickly a coupld of hours later, you will wake up and not be able to go back to sleep.

Call your doctor. I bet he will prescribe some cough syrup with codeine to give you a nights rest. I always keep it on hand.

Keezheekoni

Tussionex is an excellent cough syrup. It is really sweet, but it doesn't raise my bg at all... It's available by prescription, unfortunately there's no generic yet.

Basically it's a tusson with vicodin in it.

kgm0612

I switched from liquid Nyquil/Dayquil over to the lyqui-gels and I also take the clear CVS brand of cough syrup when I have a bad cold.

Karen

princesslinda

I have found the Tylenol Severe Cold/Flu Nighttime works very well for me, allowing me to sleep w/o coughing all night long.

genie86333

Luckily I haven't gotten sick yet since I was diagnosed, but I think I'd probably have to go for the nyquil anyways...it's always been the only cold medcine that's ever worked for me (mostly because I get so agitated about stuffy nose/throat that I can't sleep, so need the nyquil to sleep.) And I'm allergic to codeine so that's not an option...

I guess I'll have to see what the nyquil does to my system - but for now, I'll just stay happy I haven't needed to find out yet!

EeyoreButterfly

I just went through this last week and used Tylenol Cold Nighttime and Daytime respectively and did not notice a rise in my sugars. It was the only thing that got me through.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.