Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Injecto

What about not taking insulin

Funnygrl

We've totally deviated from the original topic. The question was asking if it's okay to not take insulin if you have type 1, so long as you don't eat.

The answer, as you Frank yourself have pointed out, is a resounding "NO" and always has been. Hopefully it won't also be, however.

millyyates

I have a friend who does little daily testing. He takes 2 injections in the morning and 2 at night. One is short acting and one is longer acting. He eats very little particularly carbs and has been doing this for years. His A1c is generally 7. He has no complications except for some minor spots on his eyes. It seems to work for him. I put it down to a very low carb diet which he appears to do easily.

Subby
I have a frio and I do always carry extra when I am away.. however, i'm thinking about a having to run out of the house in the night type scenario..

Sure this is a potential problem, I'd not say it wasn't. If I had this concern I'd get into the habit of the frio next to the front door when up, and then next to the bed when I go to bed (just another thing with my tester and phone to wake me up, no biggie). In fact this is almost what I do. I always know my frio is in my bag and I always know where my bag is.

Not fool proof but more than enough that it should allay those fears. After getting used to the habit, the risk of not remembering to snatch your supplies on the way has to be less a danger than countless others that we all live with day to day just by being alive.

As for the safe box, again if this was a major concern that I might lose my personal stash, I would request to put some in there anyway. I would date it in big bold letters and have a note to the effect it may have lost potency but may well be better than nothing.

I generally find insulin does lose potency pretty quickly. Then again I've had some 9 month old insulin I've discovered and used in absolute desperation, that worked. It may well be better than nothing, if there are no other options.

Another thing I might do is if I have friends or relatives or even my doctor or colleague who lived nearish but far away enough that they may be affected differently by a quake, I'd ask them to hold insulin in the fridge for me. I don't know anyone who would refuse that. I have all my clients (my job lands me into a few people's homes for stretches, regularly) keep insulin in the fridge. They were delighted to do so.

walleyedave
Hidden

Further, I don't blame carbs for the obesity "epidemic." I blame people not being able to properly balance caloric intake with caloric output. That's really the core cause of obesity.

Genetic factors are a huge part of the equation as well.

Some people can eat a well balanced diet and still be obese. Not to mention adding diabetes and insulin injections into the mix.

UpNorth

I agree with Funny. An A1c of 7 is not really that great. I think that guy could lower it dramatically with MDI or pumping.

I'd cry if i saw my A1c go over 6.5:eek: i've been in the 5's for quite some time now.

And as for the topic... as long as i get my basal insulin either from Levemir or my pump, i'm fine without bolus insulin if i don't eat but i can only last like that for maybe a day because then i'll be too hungry. if i don't get any basal either, like when i'm having pump problems and don't discover it imediately, i'm VERY high very fast. So whatever you people do, don't quit taking your insulin:eek:

soso
Sure this is a potential problem, I'd not say it wasn't. If I had this concern I'd get into the habit of the frio next to the front door when up, and then next to the bed when I go to bed (just another thing with my tester and phone to wake me up, no biggie). In fact this is almost what I do. I always know my frio is in my bag and I always know where my bag is.

Not fool proof but more than enough that it should allay those fears. After getting used to the habit, the risk of not remembering to snatch your supplies on the way has to be less a danger than countless others that we all live with day to day just by being alive.

As for the safe box, again if this was a major concern that I might lose my personal stash, I would request to put some in there anyway. I would date it in big bold letters and have a note to the effect it may have lost potency but may well be better than nothing.

I generally find insulin does lose potency pretty quickly. Then again I've had some 9 month old insulin I've discovered and used in absolute desperation, that worked. It may well be better than nothing, if there are no other options.

Another thing I might do is if I have friends or relatives or even my doctor or colleague who lived nearish but far away enough that they may be affected differently by a quake, I'd ask them to hold insulin in the fridge for me. I don't know anyone who would refuse that. I have all my clients (my job lands me into a few people's homes for stretches, regularly) keep insulin in the fridge. They were delighted to do so.

We live on the bottom tip of an island that is expected to have a big quake sometime between now and the next 500 yrs... we have small quakes regularly...only one that has made us run, believe me, no time to grab anything and that was a small quake with no damage...doubt I would think straight enough in a bigger one... I was thinking about how long it would take help to get here, as it is an island and full of trees that would all be down no doubt, so even foot travel would probably be limited. Mind you, if it is as big as they say it might be, insulin might no longer be necessary!

I don't worry unduly about the quake, the last big one was 300-400 yrs ago I think, but every time there is one elsewhere, it all comes up about preparedness...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.