Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shalyndria

Pre-D Probs (moved) - Posted by Jenny

Shalyndria

Posted by Jenny on 11-23-2004 09:17 PM:

Pre-D Probs

Just wondering what physical probs any pre-d's here have had. When my bg's were up a little higher (like 160-170) I got headache, was feeling weird, etc. Is it possible to get damage to the body from just being pre-d??

Posted by gettingby on 11-23-2004 10:21 PM:

Jenny,

Even though I'm a full blown type 1, I can only give you my opinion. I know that high levels have a major effect on type 1's so I would think that they would have some effect on pre D's.

Just my .02 cents worth. Hope it helps a little.

"We will be known forever by the tracks we leave". What kind of tracks are you leaving?

Type 1, MDI. Levoxyl, and now an iron supplement(hope it works).

Posted by sicdb on 11-24-2004 07:05 AM:

G'morning, Jenny.

I firmly believe that damage can be done with high BGs in a pre-D condition. Some doctors believe there is no pre-D, either you is or you isn't, so to speak. BGs over 140 are very much to be concerned about and can contribute to eye problems with the retina and cataracts according to my doctor and what I read.

Of course, the continued high BG's will continue to erode the condition of insulin production or insulation resistance.

One other Pre-D that I talk to from time to time explained his non-professional definition of Pre-D as the condition in which diet, exercise, and weight-loss can bring BG's back to normal levels, and the period of time in which we can try to control the issue before the Doc says meds are the only answer.

Posted by KLD on 11-24-2004 08:01 AM:

quote:

One other Pre-D that I talk to from time to time explained his non-professional definition of Pre-D as the condition in which diet, exercise, and weight-loss can bring BG's back to normal levels, and the period of time in which we can try to control the issue before the Doc says meds are the only answer.

I don't agree with your friend's definition of pre-diabetes. I am definitely diabetic (my glucose tolerance test showed a bg level of 14.2 (270) and yet I keep my blood sugar completely normal with a low carb diet.

Karen

Posted by JasonSmithMT on 11-24-2004 08:21 AM:

I would agree with Karen. Many type 2 diabetics can control their glucose levels with diet, weight control and exercise.

I believe the current accepted definition of pre-diabetes is having fasting levels in the 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.5 mmol/L to 6.9 mmol/L) range and the glucose tolerance test not going over 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L). Anything above those levels is considered diabetes.

Jason

Posted by Jenny on 11-24-2004 09:23 AM:

Thanks everyone. I agree as I have also heard of diabetics (full blown) controlling with D&E. But I used to also take meds as well. Thanks you guys for helping with the question becaue I feel like sometimes pre-d gets blown off as not a problem.

Sicdb-thanks because I always wondered when I was that hig if it could be causing damage.

Posted by sicdb on 11-24-2004 10:48 AM:

quote:

Originally posted by JasonSmithMT

I believe the current accepted definition of pre-diabetes is having fasting levels in the 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.5 mmol/L to 6.9 mmol/L) range and the glucose tolerance test not going over 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L). Anything above those levels is considered diabetes.

Jason

Thanks, Jason - It's good to have a clearcut definition with a measurable range. After 3 1/2 months of testing and working on diet, I've only just been able to push below the 100 mark, and that for only the past couple of days with a big push on GI eating. My biggest fear is deterioration of the condition and onset of ....opathy problems.

Paul

Posted by Belinda on 11-24-2004 06:17 PM:

Jen when mine goes up in those ranges I get headaches too. I was notorious as a child that was not diagnosed to have terrible headaches..must have been when the sugars were up

Posted by rzrbks on 11-24-2004 06:55 PM:

Yep, high B/Gs = headAches, and it feels like eyeballs are swelling too. If I go as high as 160/8.8 or higher, sharp headAche

and eyeballs gonna pop out at any second.

"I am wounded," he said, "wounded, and it will never heal."

Frodo to Samwise on the anniversary of the destruction of the Ring

Posted by mg_2204 on 11-24-2004 11:53 PM:

... when I was in the 'grey' area, I was always soooo tired. Would have to drink at least3 coffees before hitting the road after work, or I'd fall asleep behind the wheel. I was moody, I had headaches, and I was SICK all the time. I'd catch everything! The flu, gastro enteritis, sinus infection, you name it. I had young children at the time, worked full time, had a family, a house, and a husband to take care of. I certainly didn't have any 'me' time. I was so busy I would have needed 48 hours in a day. I sure burned the candle by both ends back then. I thought I was just a lousy 'superwoman', didn't think it had anything to do with being in the 'grey' area. Live and learn? I'm sure I've suffered lots of damage too. I was sure I couldn't do anything about being in this 'grey' area. I stupidly thought it would go either way, full blown diabetic or back to normal... on its own. I wish someone would have rattle my cage back then and teach me a bit more about diabetes.

Marie

Posted by sicdb on 11-25-2004 07:53 AM:

Marie -

Happy Thanksgiving from North America. Not your holiday, I know, but I was happy to see your posting this morning.

I read that many people go as much as ten years with T2 diabetes without being aware of having it. Since I began testing about 4 months ago and found myself to be in the that "grey" area of Pre-D, well defined by Jason in this thread, I've been trying to figure out how long I may have been in that area.

Based on episodes of tiredness, sleepy reactions to sweet and sugary foods, and difficulty maintaining/losing weight, my wife and I figure it's been about 5 years, maybe a little more.

Now with a better focus on diet and exercise, weight loss is easier and I feel much more alert and in control.

This is nasty stuff we deal with, but the good news is that we can deal with it, no matter how long it was that we didn't know or didn't know what to do.

Yes it's Thanksgiving on this side of the puddle and I'm thankful I discovered this forum - I've picked up a lot of info and support in a very short time.

Paul

Posted by mg_2204 on 11-25-2004 10:19 AM:

Hello Paul!

You have a wonderful opportunity here... which is to learn as much as you can about diabetes. This will certainly make a difference in the long run. I envy you!

I wish you the best in taking good care of yourself and may your efforts and motivation lead you out of the grey area into the normal one!

Marie

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.