Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Debbie Sue

Vitamin D Too much?

Debbie Sue

I was recently told, by my endo, to take 50,000 IU's of Vitamin D 2 x weekly for extremely low levels. I have Hypoparathyroidism and have had one of the glands removed a few years ago.

Is taking this amount of prescription Vitamin D toxic? So far, I haven't any odd side effects and my hip pain seems to be less intense to non existent.

Any studies linking low vitamin D to Diabetes?

Bosco

My doctor has me on 1000 iu of Vitamin D a day. I looked it up and there are a bunch of articles on the subject. Just Google "Vitamin D Diabetes". (I figure that will be easier than posting the links to all the articles). There is even one article that says if you take vitamin D from birth you are at less of a risk of getting type 1 later in life.

Tony

Real4

Any studies linking low vitamin D to Diabetes?

Vitamin D deficiency is very common with Type II diabetics (at least). I BTW, take the same dosage as you.

soso

I read an article about Vit D about 4 yrs ago, which said the the researchers that the article was about were all taking very high doses of Vit D, based on their findings.. going from memory but I thought they were talking in the 25-50,000 iu per day and it was mentioned that the toxic dose for Vit D was very high..

For myself and DH we take 4000 iu per day...

my endo did tell me to take 1000 u when I saw him 4yrs ago. inflation eh ?..hehheh...

BigcityRich

A few months ago my doc told me I had low vitamin D and gave a script for 10,000 iu once a week for 8 weeks and then I was to go get tested again.

I took all the meds as directed but never followed up with another test. I had forgotten all about til now. oops! :eek:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.