Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eri's mom

Low BG's

Eri's mom

Hi all...

I have been feeling kinda out of sorts lately...nausea, shakey, hands and feet sweating, grumpy...so I decided to check my BG...read 59...hadn't eaten in an hour. I just took it again and it was 90(I had a fast break bar, 2 slices of cheese and 2 p&b crackers)...the lowest reading I've ever had was 39.

Do you think it could just be a weird thing, or should I check w/ a doc?

When it comes to my kids, I'd have them right in, but w/ me, I tend to let things slide(bad me).

nantomsuethom

Hi Robin,

I have the same problem. If I have a high carb breakfast (around 7:30) by 9:30- 10 my bg is in the 50s - 60s. I did talk to my doc about it and he said the only thing to do for hypoglycemia is to eat 6 small meals a day, or snack on wheat crackers between meals. I also have a hypoactive thyroid and my levels are off for some reason, so that may be why my bg is going low too.

It is a terrible feeling though!! :(

I hope you feel better soon,

Nancy

Eri's mom

Yeah, the smaller meals tend to help...that was what I had to do for the gastroparisis anyway. I'll try to stick to that more, but my eating habits have gotten a little weird b/c of when I had the gp.

Belinda

sounds like you may have to do the little meals. I had a low today and ate a donut, drank a glass of coke and still an hour later was just up to 105...now 3 hours later 300's. :rolleyes: I rather OD on sugar/carbs than to feel as bad as I do with a low....highs are much easier for me. :confused:

Eri's mom

I've never experience what it is like to have a high reading.

All those little meals...I do tend to always carry a pack of crackers w/ me...they absorb the stomach acid so well :)

My thyroid has been tested so many times(they finally figured out it was perimenopause).

My stepsons mom was dx'd w/ diabetes and Graves disease, along w/ thyroid cancer(he found out on Thanksgiving).

I guess I have really no right to worry about low BG's w/ what she's going through.

Littlebit63_99

Eri's mom,

Even though somebody else is have a VERY hard time.....you still have to cope with your problems. And posting here for advice and shoulders to lean on is just the right thing to do.

I would talk to my doc if my bs's were that low......a change in insulin might be in order. A slight change anyway.

I hope your stepson's mom pulls through.......but, take care of you also.

Eri's mom

Thanks, Liz :)

I've never taken insulin, just have the random check to see where I am at when I'm at the dizzy stage w/ shakes and nausea. Have never really been dx'd w/ diabetes...was close w/ gestational diabetes, but never had a high reading aside from while being preggers...just lows.

Funnygrl

Low blood sugar can be a sign of a real problem. You should definately check with your doctor. See what he/she says. She or he may do some blood work and then decide there is nothing more you can do than eat 6 small meals a day with protein and complex carb. Your gastroparesis can cause low blood sugar too, so maybe Reglan or something like that would help.

Eri's mom

Thanks for that bit of info Funnygrl...I was NEVER told that by my doc or surgeon!!! UGH!!!....

I hate the GP(although I am believing I have overcome it...although there are times when I know that's not happening)...I live on tagament(well, 2 per day as the box says...works a LOT better than the prilosec and zantac for me)...plus, my doc has my on valium for the heart palps...

Reglan...I'll have to mention that to them. I've sorta let my health go to the side w/ all going on...the ghost pains I've had where my gallbladder used to be have been driving me NUTS...but I shouldn't complain, b/c I don't have it bad(everyone can live w/ nausea, right?)...it just causes a problem w/ actually getting a meal into me(aside from good ol' saltine crackers and water)....would explain low BG's as well, but I DO tend to try and get some complex carbs into it(like potatoes, pasta,etc)...I've lost so much weight, I mean, I like that I lost weight, but still...it's starting to become a problem, and I've been tested for EVERYTHING under the sun.

Shutting up...I ramble...Lordy, sorry all!!!

Funnygrl

Sometimes combos of meds work well. I don't have GP but I have severe GERD. Traditional treatments didn't work well for me, so now I am on Nexium, Compazine, and Reglan. Reglan speeds up the stomach's empty time, which is why it is used in treament of GP a lot. My blood sugars were screwy for awhile, so my GI doctor considered GP. I had the gastric empty time series, but it was normal.

Eri's mom

I'll have to talk to my GI about the Reglan, or my GP...

With neither my GI or surgeon telling me what my diet should consist of after I had my gall bladder removed, well, it was a lot of trial and error, although I had...and have...still stayed away from caffeine, nicotine and fried food and fatty foods....Chicken and white rice digest so easily...and crackers and water seem to be my staple.

I had the gastric emptying test(I only digested 43% of my food)...the hidescan, the endoscopy and biopsies, had my thyroid checked, etc...all the testing...and then finding out that GP can be a problem for those w/ diabetes...I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I know it's not bad like a lot of things out there, but when you feel nauseated almost ALL the time, it gets a little frustrating.

Funnygrl

I feel nauseated almost all the time, and it stinks like crazy. Here's my list of GI tests:

Upper Endoscopy with Biopsies

Gastric Empty Time

24 Hour pH study

Upper GI Series

Head CT (yes, ordered by GI...I have no idea)

Blood Work

Occult Blood

43%? What hour was that!?! Mine was 31% and they said that was normal and I don't have GP.

Funnygrl

Oh yes, I also thought I'd tell you about a little theory I have. I believe that people with hypoglycemia have a higher chance of having children with diabetes. I've seen it to be true in my own family. People with diabetes have a risk of having their children born with hypoglycemia because if their blood sugars run high during pregnancy, the fetus will make more insulin to keep up and continue doing so for a little while after birth, even though the extra insulin isn't needed anymore. I would imagine it could work the opposite way too, but I have no proof of that.

Eri's mom

I believe the 43% was at an hour or two...that, alongside w/ the hidescan, was probably THE most boring test I've been through!!! I had to eat this beef stew w/ the stuff in it and water(they wanted me to eat an egg salad sandwich and milk, BUT, well, eggs don't agree w/ me anymore(after they come through your nose, it's a NO EGGS situtation)TMI...sorry...and I have NEVER been able to drink milk w/o gagging and vomitting....the nurse was a little peturbed and told me I was a difficult patient...it was like, gee, sorry you had to microwave some dinty more stew...

I was borderline gestational diabetic while pregnant w/ all 3 pregnancies...no wonder I had somewhat big babies...8lbs for my first(2 weeks early), 7lbs4oz(Eri)...who was 6 weeks early, and 8lbs11oz for my last...3 1/2 weeks early. I'm 5' even, so I looked ridiculous carrying babies that big...lol...especially my last, but there were steroids involved w/ that one...and bedrest.

That is odd that your GI ordered you to have a CT...the only time I was sent in for a CT was after a car accident(they had given me phenagren earlier)...and I was so out of it from that, that I wheeled myself back to the room, got dressed, said a few choice words to the poor doctor...and my husband...and gimped out of there. So...I guess I can NEVER have phenagren...lol.

GP is a pain...WAS a pain...I seriously believe I took care of a lot of it holistically. I think w/ the vomitting, it is a mixture of not being told of the proper diet after they took my yucky ol' diseased gall bladder and from perimenopause...all those whacky hormones...I know I said it b/f...I just pray Eri does NOT ever develop GP...she watched me sick as a dog last year...almost every single day. It was horrible.

The endoscopy wasn't bad at all...the new anesthetic they have out was wonderful, no bad side affects, and they figured that since I had already fasted, they were going to do the hidescan(BORING as all get out)...they had taken a bunch of biopsies, which was good. I've had so many tests...especially after my aunt was dx'd w/ cancer...they tested me for EVERYTHING under the sun. The gallbladder surgery wasn't bad at all either...between the anesthetic and the dilauded...didn't hurt at all(until I popped the stitch out of my belly button and that was wide open and I had to go back and get stitched up....that was a WEIRD feeling.(sorry, TMI again).

OK, shutting up...I ramble so much, it's pathetic. Sorry 'bout that.

Oh...as I mentioned...my regimen, which seems to help a bit lately...I take a tagament in the a.m., then, around 4:30 p.m., I take 5mg's of valium, then I take another tagament around 6, and another 5mg's of valium...PLUS, I try and get a good walk in and keep busy...walk off the food. I don't eat much at all, and that's made a difference, plus, of course, I watch what I eat totally.

REALLY shutting up now. :1eye:

Funnygrl

I was under general anesthetic for my upper endoscopy too and it was great. I also had no after effects from the anethetic. My empty time was for one hour. I had it done at Buffalo Children's. I was able to eat whatever I wanted, because they administered the radioactive stuff separatly in an oral syringe. I ate pb and j and milk. They also had a tv for me to watch.

Eri's mom

Lucky...I had to go forever...and I had only limited choices of food...lol.

I love the new anesthetic they use...you wake up like from a GREAT sleep.

I remember my first surgery, it was at Buffalo General...they had the hardest time waking me up...and they didn't do a thing for the pain...and the nausea was horrid...and after my 2nd surgery that I had down here, HORRIBLE reaction to the anesthesia...took them forever to wake me up that time too.

My last 2 were great experiences though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.