Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lugnut48

Silly Question

lugnut48

Okay - new dad here, so silly question ahead! :D

How often should newborns (less than 2 weeks old) be urinating? Being that I'm T1, my obvious concern is that he may be as well. I'm probably overreacting but - what are diabetic symptoms for newborns? Should I even be concerned?

Evermont

Yeah, overreacting is normal.

They use a regular glucometer on infants though I'm not certain if the ranges are the same as for adults. Normally the draw is from the bottom of the foot. Babies don't like having BG tested BTW - that's normal too.

Just imagine how tiny that little bladder is!

fgummett

Joshua pee'd on the Pediatrician pretty much as soon as he was released (C-section after 42 hours labour). Doctors says, "well at least we know that is working OK!" :)

Didn't you get the Dad manual that comes with all babies :D

BTW.. when the diaper says "good for up to 20lbs" that is referring to the weight of the baby... not the maximum contents of the diaper! ;)

Best of luck... it's a fun ride from here on in... every moment is precious and it does go by too fast :)

lugnut48

Hehe - no, I think we tossed the manual when we got him out of box.

I know that they said when he was born his BG was 71 (and like ya said Keith, not sure if it's the same scale or not), but they went on to say if it doesn't drop below 45, he's all good. So . . . I dunno!

But - pee'ing alot is normal then?

fgummett
But - pee'ing alot is normal then?
No worries! Keep an eye on the soft spot in the middle of the baby's skull... if that stays fairly firm and round you have no concerns about dehydration ;)

It can be hard to balance natural concern with obsession sometimes... just be aware of what to watch out for but enjoy your child as well... so long as they are smiling and moving limbs they are doing OK.

Psycho Penguin

Yeah, babies will pee a little more than frequent. I'm sure you could always get a blood sugar test from a pediatrician if you are really concerned, but I am not even sure what the mininum age a child can get T1 at.

lugnut48

Don't get me wrong, I'm not freaking out or anything, was just curious and well - I just didn't know, it's all very new to me.

He's smiling and kicking (and punching) just fine. The pediatrician said he's a very healthy boy so, I'm not REALLY that concerned. Plus, isn't it less likely for a father to pass the diabetes?

davef

Boys, can pretty much be relied on to pee the minute you open the diaper, which can result in urine everywhere. Here's a tip, before you open the diaper get a tissue, when you open the diaper, drop the tissue on to the penis, stops unwanted spraying ;)

BTW, if you write down everything you learn about a baby this week, tear it up cause it all changes next week ;)

uhoh

I had three boys and the first thing they all did (besides cry) was to pee! And continued to do so in my eye as many times as they could. (OF course, I did learn to cover the little sprayer up!)

notme

I had three boys and two girls. Boys are dangerous. Take off a diaper, they pee. Feed em, they pee. Just change them and put them back to bed, they pee. I never took off a diaper without having something over the .....well....goods. I have had more than one boy pee on me or pee all over his own face. Lovely!

Girls....well they pee down their legs on on to your clothes.

Bottom line (pun intended) babies pee a lot. When they wake up with dry diapers is when I worry.

Riannon

My pediatrician told me to expect a minimum of 6 to 8 wet diapers per day for a well hydrated baby. (Disclaimer: This may just be MY pediatricians! Your child's doctors may give you a sheet to fill out with the number of wet and dirty diapers per day like mine did ... or they may just wait for you to ask.)

Around here, I have seen children as young as 18 months with type 1. (And on a pump already!) I believe there is a test that can be done somewhere around 1 or 2 years old to assess the child's risk. You could ask the pediatrician that question, too, and if he / she doesn't know, call around until someone can point you to a pediatric endo.

I'm lucky enough to have a great childrens' hospital here. My older son goes to their endo clinic for his diabetes, and my younger one will most definitely be assessed for risk as soon as they tell me he's old enough to be. (If it's going to happen again I don't want it to be a surprise this time!)

SuzySushi

Risk assessment isn't definitive, unfortunately. My late husband had Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed when he was an adult.

When our daughter was about 2 years old, she tested negative for the markers for diabetes.

She was diagnosed with diabetes just before she turned 9. :(

VinceF

We wondered the same thing...we went lo tech. clinitest strips. I buy the ones that have both glucose level and ketones. When we worry about the baby we dip for glucose (there should not be any) you usually start spilling glucose around 160, and the ketone section is for me. The hard part about testing a baby boy is getting him to pee on the strip:) .

Dave

nicole
Yeah, babies will pee a little more than frequent. I'm sure you could always get a blood sugar test from a pediatrician if you are really concerned, but I am not even sure what the mininum age a child can get T1 at.

You can be born with Type 1 diabetes.

HuskerMychal
Boys, can pretty much be relied on to pee the minute you open the diaper, which can result in urine everywhere. Here's a tip, before you open the diaper get a tissue, when you open the diaper, drop the tissue on to the penis, stops unwanted spraying ;)

BTW, if you write down everything you learn about a baby this week, tear it up cause it all changes next week ;)

I just have to add a extra tip to Dave's tip, ALWAYS, BUT ALWAYS keep your mouth closed. :D If you don't you will swear the little dude has perfect aim and is trying for tonsils

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.