Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EeyoreButterfly

Afraid of Going Hypo

EeyoreButterfly

I really need to step up my exercise. Right now my main form of exercise is walking my dogs when the weather is nice. In January I start a Biggest Loser Challenge at the Y and will need to do some more intense cardio and weightlifting, but I am afraid of going hypo.

I get reactive hypos, and it seems that lately if I work out too hard I start feeling weird. Any advice on how to step up the exercise without going hypo?

Caravaggio

Do you check your BG when you start feeling weird when you work out too hard? If not, check it to confirm whether or not you are experiencing hypoglycemia.

Increase the frequency and intensity of your workouts slowly to give you and your body time to adjust. You may be feeling weird not because of hypo but because of doing too much, too fast, too soon.

Carry food with you to deal with hypo. I carry glucose tablets with me.

Eat something before, during and/or after you exercise.

EeyoreButterfly

To be honest, it's been awhile since I did that. I think the last time I exercised that hard was before I was diagnosed and therefore not testing (I know, shame on me for not doing more). There have been multiple times in the past I have ahd to leave the gym because of it.

What gets me is that I used to be a themepark performer. I did five parades or shows a day. These were very intense performances in heavy costumes in the Florida heat, so it's not like my body is unused to that level of activity.

What's the best thing to eat before exercise to avoid them?

Psycho Penguin

I test right before I exercise, and I try to see how my readings are after I exercise, to see if I can get some sort of pattern going. I seem to drop about 50 points when I weightlift, so I only do that when I am 150 or over.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.