Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raven-gypsy

A milestone

raven-gypsy

So, as I've said in other threads, I really hate exercising and up to this point I've not even tried. I've thought about it a lot, but I haven't made myself go out and do it.

But the more I learn about diabetes, the more I have this intense desire to eventually be clean of all meds and manage it with diet and exercise alone. Of course, that means I have to get off my butt and actually do something. So last night I made a goal for myself to walk a total of 600 miles this coming year. Not a lot when you really break it down. In reality if I exercised five days a week, it would only be 2.5 miles. If I do daily, then its even less. Great, right?

Well, so yesterday being Christmas, I was really worried that I would overdo it and my numbers would be astronomical. However, I behaved myself quite well, and only had one small cookie (which I didn't even enjoy! ugh!) and the rest was normal christmas foods, just in moderation. My numbers lingered all day around 100. The highest was 118! :) Which I must say I am totally surprised by, but also very proud of.

So this morning I wake up and really just do not feel like making myself get out there and walk. I thought "Oh, it's a bit windy, I will just wait until tomorrow," and went next door to see my niece. As soon as I saw her smiling face I knew that I would be walking today, for she is my biggest inspiration. I asked my sister if I could borrow their dog and the leash and take her with me since we haven't walked around here and don't know exactly how many unchained/unpinned dogs are out there. Plus we have an abundance of coyotes lately, even coming into our yards.

My sister is full of encouragement and I explain to her where I'm walking and how far, just in case, and that I would have my cell phone with me as well. And the dog and I set out on our journey. Goal - walk a mile away from the house, and the mile back.

The way there was..quite literally..a piece of cake. Wind at our backs, mainly downhill. Easy peasy! We turn around and start walking back, uphill against the wind. Talk about slowing down! The poor dog wanted me to speed it up, but I just couldn't. I could barely keep a hold on the leash because of the wind alone. My sister sent her husband in the car to check on us and be sure I was making it alright. He said my face was red and wanted me to get in the car so he could take me home. I told him no way Mr! I'm walking.

And I did. It took us about 16 minutes to get the mile walked away from the house, and twice as long to get back! A total of fifty minutes to walk two miles. I know that's really NOT good timing at all. However, the wind was vicious! But, no matter. I did it! I didn't stop and turn around early on the way there. I didn't stop at all. I just kept walking. And walking. And walking!

Now I'm home and I feel absolutely wonderful! I feel as if I've accomplished something huge. And my post walk BG is 101, which was exactly two hours after eating a hamburger -with- bun! :)

I'm excited. And I -can- do this!

Thanks for listening to my ramblings. :)

~Mel

GretchO

i like exercising, but sometimes it takes all i have to get myself doing something. but then when I'm done exercising, i feel so great i don't understand why i didn't want to do it in the first place. keep up the good work, even if the wind doesn't cooperate!!

genie86333

Mel, that is wonderful! I know just how you feel - I hate exercising...or not so much exercising itself as the exercises I have available to do.

I *love* swimming & horse-back-riding & ice skating (although I'm not sure how well I'd do with the ice-skating anymore - my balance isn't what it once was!) but don't have anywhere to do the swimming (except in the summer when a local lake warms up a bit yet still has water in it) or ice-skating & well...let's just say my knees would make getting on a horse darn near impossible, even though I have several friends with horses.

I have started walking in small doses (about 20 minutes at a time) with my dog - he really enjoys it too, so that's an added benefit. (although I think he wasn't so happy about it on Wednesday, since it was sprinkling & he HATES water LOL)

So, every little bit counts & it sounds like you've set a challenging goal for yourself! Keep up the good work.

jps

Congratulations Mel! Way to set high goals for yourself. These little rewards will keep you going and going and going. Don't lose focus on your goals. It's funny. You start feeling better, looking better and it gets easier. The hardest part is making up your mind that you are going to do it. If you've truly made up your mind, made it a priority in your life, I promise you can do it. Everyone can. It's tough to make up your mind, but it sounds like you've done exactly that.

Congratulations!

graham44

Thats awesome Raven. MAKE yourself do it. Be stubborn! Dont let laziness win. Prove your tougher than the laziness that resides in everyone of us. Sometimes you have to MAKE yourself get started but once you do it, you feel great and cant believe you almost gave in. If it was easy, it wouldnt be an accomplishment.

art

That's truly wonderful.

Now get yourself a dog.

Dog walking is great exercise and you have to do it.

You've made a fantastic start.

Art

jo123

Well done you, now keep at it, if you can do get a dog, I have made loads of dog walking friends and rarely walk alone.

If I am on my own I use my ipod, put something with a good beat on, I thoroughly enjoy it and it really helps pass the time.

Eric Linscheid

Mel,

You did the best thing, congratulations: you walked out the door. It only gets easier. You'll hit roadblocks because walking is not a habit for you. Just set a realistic goal: 3-4 times a week for 20-30 minutes. This is simple, attainable, measurable, immediate, and you can be consistant. The goal, however, must be yours, like you already said.

Do you listen to music? If so, an Ipod Nano can be hooked up to a Nike sensor -- and you can listen to music and then download your walk directly to Nike -- they'll graph it out for you.

Again, congrats -- exercising decreases insulin resistance.

Eric Linscheid - type 1 diabetic 33 years

Kodiak, Alaska

raven-gypsy

Thank you everyone for all your encouragement! :) I'm still totally excited that I was able to pull it off, even just once. I didn't get to walk outside yesterday or today, but I have walked in the house - no clue how far it is, but I walked both times about fourty minutes.

Holly, that would be awesome! We can do it together, even from far away!

TeachinNV

Hi Mel,

Congratulations on getting going!! It is hard getting started, but you've discovered the sense of accomplishment you feel when you finish. It usually overpowers the sore feet and legs.

My son and I have been walking a lot (5-6x/week) since I was diagnosed in late October. It's good talking time. When we started, I had a hard time with the long hills in our neighborhood; I'd have to stop every so often to catch my breath and shake out my noodle-like legs.

Today, we walked home from the restaurant where we ate breakfast. It took us 2 hours, and the distance was 4.77 miles. That would have been unheard for me of a couple of months ago.

I saw that you put a ticker on your signature for your 2009 mileage (probably the same day I did). I'll be glad to join you in your walking goal...we can keep each other on track.

TTFN!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.