Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lugnut48

Missouri

Granny Shanny
WOW Linda - North of the river - God's country. Me too. Born and raised in Joplin (high school in Joplin), Live in KC (North). Love the rolling hills of MO. I spend a lot of time in Ozarks and Springfield. Love the Ozark rivers - Current, Eleven Point, Jacks Fork, Buffalo, Big Piney, etc. Land of karst topography and great water. Later, Larry:)

Yep - don't forget the pokey little Gasconade . . . 300 miles of river fully contained within Missouri borders. And a half-mile of its riverfront is ours! :D :D :D

foxl

(OKAY Larry ... where did you teach? My kids are in PHSD!).

Did not realize you are up north ... :D

I was surprised to find it was much more diverse than I had expected -- I grew up in JoCo (but don't tell anyone!!!), then moved to Brookside.

ljjhouser
(OKAY Larry ... where did you teach? My kids are in PHSD!).

Did not realize you are up north ... :D

I was surprised to find it was much more diverse than I had expected -- I grew up in JoCo (but don't tell anyone!!!), then moved to Brookside.

Ha! Well, I won't hold that against you - "JoCo" - I taught in KCMO 30yrs and Independence (William Christman High School) until I retired. And many years ago, I lived in Brookside when I taught at Southwest Highschool (59th and Central). My wife teaches in NKCSD. PH is a nice place to live (deeper in God's country). What a small world. I am hoping that before long we will have a day with a lot of sunshine.

And Granny, I have passed over the Gasconade and thought "that would be a nice day spent on the river." Being on the shore of any good river is a peice of heaven - I am glad you have 1/2 mile of it - I think that is FANTASTIC!!

Later, Larry

foxl

SUN? What is that???

Southwest was a great school!

Yeah, I don't hold JoCo against myself, either. I got out and got OVER it!

Granny Shanny

No sun for us any time soon . . . the temps are dropping again fast & it's misting. I just slammed a big load of wood into the stove & I think we're good to go!

andypoo
Yep - don't forget the pokey little Gasconade . . . 300 miles of river fully contained within Missouri borders. And a half-mile of its riverfront is ours! :D :D :D

The one river that Missouri has that I love the best is of course the Current River,of which I am guessing is out your back door,Granny Shanny.

My husband was born near Van Buren,Mo.in a little town called Hunter,(which was more populated with dogs,than people) so he was raised on the Current,they took their baths in the river,he was raised pure country,and proud of it.Of course now they won't allow that because of the Mo. Rivers and Streams Act,which I can see why. We do need to preserve these jewels in Mo. I have to say Missouri has a lot to offer and I'm proud to be from here.

I was introduced to this river back when I met him,and to me nothing compares to the rivers in Southeast Missouri,especially the Current.

ljjhouser

After all the many years of paddling and the many times on the Current, Jacks Fork, Eleven Point - mentioning Van Buren made me immediately say, National Park Service headquarters.

I recall sitting around the campfire with NPS guys and a Shannon County Sheriff - One made the comment - most guys here in Shannon County would like to find a good woman - that would be a woman who works and buys him a pick up truck. I had to laugh.

I have had many great memories on the Current and in Salem. I rarely paddle Missouri in the summer. But when people disappear (Sept - May), the area is beautiful. Nothing better than camping on the river and paddling when it is snowing. I also really like Pultite.

In the summer, I usually head for southeast whitewater in TN and North Carolina.

Actually, I think the picture taken in my signature is during lunch on a Current River gravel bar.

Later, Larry

andypoo

I actually think this could apply to anyone,not necesarily all .. I'm not really as redneck as this may sound,not that theres anything wrong with rednecks or city slickers for that matter.........I say to each his own,I just thought this was cute.........

THE RULES OF RURAL Missouri ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Listen up City Slickers!

1. Pull your droopy pants up. You look like an idiot.

2. Turn your cap right, your head isn't crooked.

3. Let's get this straight; it's called a 'dirt road.' I drive a pickup truck because I want to. No matter how slow you drive, you're going to get dust on your Lexus. Drive it or get out of the way.

4. They are cattle. They're live steaks. That's why they smell funny to you. But they smell like money to us. Get over it. Don't like it? I-64 goes east and west, I-55 goes north and south. Pick one.

5. So you have a $60,000 car. We're impressed. We have $350,000 combines that are driven only 3 weeks a year.

6. So every person in rural Missouri waves. It's called being friendly. Try to understand the concept.

7. If that cell phone rings while an 8-point buck and 3 does are coming in, we WILL shoot it out of your hand. You better hope you don't have it up to your ear at the time.

8. Yeah, we eat taters, gravy, beans and cornbread. You really want sushi and caviar? It's available at Jim's bait shop.

9. The 'Opener' refers to the first day of deer season. It's a religious holiday held the closest Saturday to the first of November.

10. We open doors for women. That is applied to all women, regardless of age.

11. No, there's no 'vegetarian special' on the menu. Order steak.. Or you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the 2 pounds of ham & turkey.

12. When we fill out a table, there are three main dishes: meats, vegetables, and breads. We use three seasonings - salt, pepper, and ketchup. Oh, yeah.... We don't care what you folks in New York call that stuff you eat . IT AIN'T REAL CHILI!!

13. You bring 'coke' into my house, it better be brown, wet and served over ice.

14. You bring 'Mary Jane' into my house, she better be homegrown, cute, knows how to shoot, drive a truck, and she better have long hair.

15. College and high school basketball are as important here as the Cavs and the Knicks... and more fun to watch.

16. Yeah, we have golf courses. But don't hit the water hazards -- it spooks the fish.

17. Colleges? We have them all. We have State Universities , Community Colleges, and Vo-techs. They come outta there with an education plus a love for God and country, and they still wave at everybody when they come for the holidays.

18. Turn down that blasted car stereo! That thumpity-thump **** ain't music, anyway. We don't want to hear it anymore than we want to see your boxers. Refer back to #1.

19. Four inches of snow isn't a blizzard - it's a flurry. Drive in it like you got some sense, and DON'T take all our bread, milk, and bleach from the grocery stores. This ain't Alaska . Worst case you may have to live a whole day without croissants. The pickups with snowplows will have you out the next day.

20. By the way...if you want to talk to God in Missouri , it's a local call!

Pote05

We are going to have another 8 inches of that white stuff in St. Joe today... Come on Springtime, I need to see what my golf clubs look like again..

andypoo
Andypoo, wondering how you were doing. Sounds like you come back all healthy and ready to go.

Thanks for asking Ramon, I have my sad times and missing my mom and dad,but I have to snap out of it,its been so long being sad and depressed that I've forgotten how to have fun or laugh. With my brothers and sisters support and my brothers and sisters on this forum, its been a real help.

ramon

I know thats a hard pill to swallow. I still dream about my mom and I swear sometimes I hear her call me. Hope thats normal, I dont know. I do know that time heals and as long as your Mom and Dad are in your heart they are not really gone:) Bless you girl.

davef
Thanks for asking Ramon, I have my sad times and missing my mom and dad,but I have to snap out of it,its been so long being sad and depressed that I've forgotten how to have fun or laugh. With my brothers and sisters support and my brothers and sisters on this forum, its been a real help.

Amanda,

Good to see you here, I've missed you.

You have a hard time and nobody could blame you for feeling low. You know we are here for you.

andypoo
I know thats a hard pill to swallow. I still dream about my mom and I swear sometimes I hear her call me. Hope thats normal, I dont know. I do know that time heals and as long as your Mom and Dad are in your heart they are not really gone:) Bless you girl.

I was sleeping last night and was awakened to see (dreaming,vision,ghost,spirit?) my dad at the end of my bed floating across the room. I yelled and the "vision" evaporated. I leapt from my bed and ran out of the room,my husband was in the living room and I told him "I just seen my dads ghost!" He just said "you seen a ghost?" I say "David,my dads' ghost!" and then I sorta realized I must've been dreaming or "something",I don't know what to make of it,really. I do this sort of "dreaming" a lot,and my dad used to do it really bad,he actually would strike out at my mom,God rest their souls. It must be some sort of sleep impairment,it can be real freaky sometimes.

Anyway,I didn't mean to babble on,and I really wanted to say thanks for the kind words and bless you,too.

Amanda,

Good to see you here, I've missed you.

You have a hard time and nobody could blame you for feeling low. You know we are here for you.

Thank you,Dave,and I missed everyone here,too. It's good to have such good friends. If ever anyone needs a friend or a kind word ,this is the place. Thanks again,Andrea

kwilborn

I live in Warrensburg MO, but was raised in many places around the eastern US! I spent most of my life in the bootheel of Missouri giving me a little southern twang when I talk!

macksvicky

Living outside of Lebanon MO, hubby transferred from Fort Belvior VA to Fort Leonard Wood. Huge difference between northern VA and this area. Absolutely love being here :D 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.