Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

riosmom

??? About Undiagnosed Diabetes

riosmom

I couldn't think of a better way to word my question. What I am wondering is, basically, how long would you think/guess my husband walked around with diabetes before he was diagnosed? He was diganosed early December, with an A1c of 6.9. Fasting BG of 140. Months? Years? I don't know why I want to know this, but I just have this nagging question in my mind. I guess it goes back to regret, and wishing we had caught this "sooner", before it was full-blown diabetes. I always over analyze things, I guess that's just my nature :(

PERKDOUG
What I am wondering is, basically, how long would you think/guess my husband walked around with diabetes before he was diagnosed? :(

My guess (from research I have read using prospective study methods) is 1 to 2 years. You really should not fret much about being late to the doctor. Read the Forum here and you will find boatloads of Type 2's who, at diagnosis had A1c's above 10 and Fasting BG above 200. I think you caught it fairly early. There is no study that I have found that gives any defined rate of deterioration into the diabetic state. Each individual is different.

The studies I have read show a slow linear rise in fasting BG then a somewhat abrupt jump into the diabetic range for some individuals.

Just an opinion here, others should chime in.

Good luck with the control measures you undertake!

Evermont

It's typical to wonder about this. Unfortunately it's also typical that no answer will ever come. You can guess, and your guess is likely better than anyone who doesn't know about the case in question.

alura

I can only speak from my experience. I was told 4 years ago that my reading was a "little" high and that I was prediabetic. Unfortunately, the dr didn't explain that prediabetic is a condition that should be addressed. All he said was you should lose a little weight and exercise. I moved, switched doctors and was told the same thing again. Another move, another doctor and this time was dx'd as diabetic in July of '08 and I was pretty much shocked. In hindsight I should have been more proactive. Anyway, my point (if you can call it that) is it could have been several years.

riosmom

I don't know why, but somedays I just get in these funks, where I think about the past and wish I had done so many things differently. Today I'm having one of those days. I was talking to my husband this morning, saying how I wish I knew "then" what I know "now". Not that it's that much, but I know a hack of a lot more than I did just a month ago! This all started when he went to a new GP (who we did NOT like) who told him, "you have a little butt, and a big stomach, you likely have diabetes" The guy was a jerk, so after that we went to another doc, who we liked, but did find out that yes, he does have diabetes, and that the whole butt/tummy thing IS a sign of Metabolic Syndrome. Why didn't I ever hear of this before?? I read a lot, especially news/science/medical. But I'd never heard of this before! He had been to yet another GP several times over the last few years (for allergies and rashes, not a physical) But hey, if you can tell from looking at someone, why didn't she say something?? A few years ago, she told him to quit smoking, which he did. But then he gained 50#. Maybe he was better off smoking!?

I don't know. I just feel, I guess....angry. This is my best friend, my soul mate, the love of my life. I am the woman, the mother, the lioness, the protector. I should have seen this coming, and done something to stop it.

jillybean

With an A1C still under 7 at diagnosis, I would think he hadn't had it very long. That's my personal, non-medical opinion.

I was tested in spring of 2007 and did not have diabetes. By May 2008, my A1C was 9.5, so I'd only technically had it for less than a year. I think his A1C being as low (relatively speaking) as it is, you caught it at a good time.

Evermont

A kiss good-bye to the past. There's no changing it - ever. All we can do is to put our energies into today, with a vision of tomorrow before us.

Your sentiments are typical of the grief that comes with Dx. I skipped it myself but don't go by me.

The clues about body type are just that - clues. The jerk GP was making an educated guess. This is a sign of a good MD, perhaps with less good bedside manner. I'd take one of those any day. The clue would likely lead him to run tests, which the other doctors failed to do.

shutterbug

In my view, a1c of 6.9 durinig diagnosis isin't a big number. Mine was 10.1 and I was probably with this condition for 3 years before I finally got diagonsed (or decided to see a doc).

I think with 6.9, you have a good chance of controlling it better with diet and exercise.

jkane13

I have a family history, so my Dr has been testing me every year for the past few years. When I finally went over the top, my A1C was 10.1! So don't think it can't jump in a very short period of time.

I would ask why he went to the Dr in the first place? Was this routine, or did he see the Dr for Diabetes symptoms? If routine, then you should consider that you got the diagnosis at EXACTLY the right time! Not early, and not late. The only reason to think you missed an opportunity is if he had been having symptoms for a year or more and you ignored them until now.

Relax, he's gonna be fine. Stop feeding him potatoes! ;) That's the thing I had to remind my wife last night. As she was buying bread after picking up two bags of potatoes, I reminded her not to get mad at me for not eating the food she makes when it has bread and potatoes in it. :eek: She understands. She really is a great woman. Tries to make low carb food for me, low fat for her, vegetarian for our older son, and constantly changing favorites for our other son. That's a challenge!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.