Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jillrapp

Depression and Diabetes

Do you have experience with Depression?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have experience with Depression?

• I have had some experience with Depression within the last 10 years
    • I am currently being treated for Depression
    • I am not currently being treated for Depression but I may need help
    • Me? No Way! It's all Good!

jillrapp

I have been involved in quite a few discussions lately about the relationship between Depression and Diabetes. I've often heard that it's very common for someone with a chronic disease to become depressed. I also toy with the idea that a chemical imbalance (often sited for depression) may have something in common with a metabolic imbalance. Whatever the cause I'm interested to see what the real numbers might be like regarding how many of us actually do battle some type or amount of depression.

I appreciate if you may only want to answer the poll question, however, any comments posted are also welcomed!

Thank you!

davef

Jill,

Interesting post. To be honest I'm not sure how to vote and the reason is that it comes down to how to define "depressed". I can certainly say that since being DX'ed (and especially right after DX) I have felt down. I did not feel low enough and it didn't go on for long enough for me to seek medical help.

So I can't say I have been depressed and certainly I don't believe I was clinically depressed but I have felt down (in a funk) and it has taken a few days to pull out of the feeling. It hasn't happened for a while but it has happened.

Not sure if I have really answered or just muddied the water, but I think this thread will make interesting reading.

lgvincent

I first became aware of my being depressed three years after I was diagnosed. The depressions have only become stronger and longer since. I found relief with Prozac for several years but after it stopped working, no other antidepressant has offered relief. For me, there is yet no escape from this horrid thing called life.

notme

I have experienced some depression, but not in the past ten years so I voted "all good". I think another choice would have been "I have experienced some depression, but not in the past ten years" :T

Cormac_Doyle

I was misdiagnosed with depression due to the early symptoms od diabetes (lethargy, lack of energy, headaches, grumpyness) ...

Subby

In a similar vein to Cormac Doyle, I suffered depression-like symptoms that were definitely largely contributed by unstable sugars. This went on for years. On going on the pump a year ago and a huge improvement in stability (I have very poor absorption with injections, partly explaining why I was so incredibly unstable despite every of effort), my natural bounciness of mind and mood - and indeed in some ways, my actual personality - returned quite quickly. For the first time in 12 years.

Previous to DX I was well adjusted and robust of emotion and mind. With, it must be said, tendancies to think quite differently from the norm or engage in a lot of creative process - which to me suggests I might have been more susceptible to issues given the effects of high BGs.

For the first few years of unstable diabetes I think my mind resisted a lot of the effects - but it sure wore me down. By the 4th or 5th year I did not feel myself and life was a major struggle. I was diagnosed with clinical depression, and once or twice I experienced at times of particularly bad BG levels, what can only be described as frightening signs of schizophrenia coming on. I did do research at the time, it was a particular and slightly strange set of "depression" symptoms I was exhibiting. Can't remember the exact details, happy to think about it if interest.

Now, whether the BG's were solely instigating these effects, or setting off some deep buried tendancies, I have no idea. Have to suspect a bit of both.

I tried a number of anti depressants from each "family" over the course of a year and a half and each and every one gave me psychological and physical side effects and definitely made things a whole lot worse - finally when the last slowed my thoughts to a snails pace I could observe after a few weeks, I gave that experiement away. I spent my time "feeling" I was not depressed, feeling spurts of normality and undercurrents of normal motivation... but showing strong outward signs of depression, this constant wave of depressive feeling effects in my head. I can't explain how frustrating that was, year after year, especially in going in to bat for myself with drs etc, who would point to my issues and say "you are depressed" and I would say "but underneath, I really feel fine... worn thin, desperate, but well adjusted"... and of course the inexorable skepticism towards a depressed person protesting against their depression. Nor can I say how strange it was to have my suspicions completely confimed, a few days after getting on the pump (and breaking an approx 6 hour cycle of instability for the first time in many years), that it primarily was the BG's, all along.

Not only depression, but cognitive ability like memory was also serverely affected by about the 10th year for me. I could no longer remember phone numbers, that kind of thing. That kind of memory ability is taking longer to come back to me, if it does. It has improved in a day to day sense, but I still can't remember my number! That middle range memory... does seem quite damaged...

I believe there is quite a bit of research linking diabetes, or high/fluctuating BG's, to depression and psychological effects. I can't suggest where to start, a web search might help.

ncpd25

I've been a Type 1 for almost 22 years and went through the typical "phases" of becoming a diabetic (denial etc..). I never experienced any type of depression (I don't think). I was 22 years old when I was diagnosed and was a Police Officer in N.Y. at the time. Along with the job goes a bit of attitude ( Not a moron attitude but, a lot of confidence etc...).I began to notice symptoms of depression somewhere around 2002-2003. I began to feel tired, lethargic, non-focused etc...Initially, I thought, it was my blood sugars or I was just tired (I was no longer worked law enforcement, I went out on a disability in 1998).

The feelings I was having became more pronounced as time went on and I thought it was in my best interest to go to counseling to sort through issues in my life. Diabetes was and always will be there but, I also dealt with some family issues (brothers etc..taking care of an elderly parent on my own...). I was diagnosed with major depression and began on medications. I felt great at first and then it seemed as if I "went flat" again. I went on a different medication and in 2007, I took a nose dive with emotions. I was either angry or really down in the dumps. At that point, I went to a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. I was given another medication in addition to the first which then curbed the radical changes in mood.

I still deal with stressful situations (who doesn't) but, I seem to contend with them in a much more positive way. Needless to say, the condition had a profound effect on my work performance. I spoke to my idiot manager and kept him advised every step of the way. I told him of my re-diagnosis, to which, he replied "You're lying" (I still don't know when he got his M.D.) I then asked if he would work with me until I got back on my feet (An ADA accomodation). His response: "we don't have to do anything for you. If you can't do your job, that's tough." I was terminated several weeks later (Feb '08) and haven't been able to find a job yet, due to the ailing economy. Yes, I filed EEOC charges however, the process moves slowly (They are short of investigators). I sit and think how great it would be if we ended up in a courtroom and a judgment was handed down in my favor. Not for the monetary (well, sort of) but, more for ethical and principle reasons. I'd love to rub this in my managers face!!

I always wondered if depression in diabetics was the result of an individual having to contend with a chronic illness day in and day out, if it was a chemical imbalance or some other type of physiological reason or if it was possibly a combination of both. And the hits just keep on comin'

mell1682

I've been depressed, diagnosed, since I was 10 and it got really bad after I had both girls, I had postpartum depression. I'm not currently on any medications but have been in the past. I also have borderline personality disorder that was mistakenly diagnosed as bipolar and I also have post-traumatic stress disorder (this isn't an everyday thing for me, there are certain triggers that make it more pronounced, like moving away from my "safe" zone). I'm proud of all the progress I've made because there was a time when I was ashamed and embarassed by this but now I embrace it and I don't hide it anymore; it took me many years to be okay with it. My relationship with my husband is so so so much better now...we almost divorced because I was not taking care of myself and A LOT was coming out on him. We split for 5 months because I was not in a good place...now we are much much better. I can't believe how far we've come :) but I also know that if I'm not careful I will become that person I once was and I NEVER want to be that again.

Barberian

I do have a tendency to become depressed if I'm not careful. I've only flirted with what would be considered clinical depression. Usually I'm upbeat, but when I do have depression it is usually "Mild", occasionally "Moderate", with only a few times in my life "Severe". That's why I try and be cheerful as much as I reasonably can (see the bottom line of my sig I put on a few days ago). Most people would not consider me a cheerful person as I don't show my emotions much. I'm kinda flat as far as feeling and showing my emotions. I've recently started an anti-anxiety medication which is also used for depression (well mostly it's prescribed for depression, but I don't want that label applied to me as it could affect my employability in the future and I'm not really depressed, just off the charts anxious without medication) and now I feel and show more emotions other than anger. My biggest depressor is pain. I have joint pain all over my body. Usually mild, sometimes severe. It starts as an ache, then works it's way to fire/ache. High salt and MSG's can greatly contribute to the pain, but are not always to blame. The docs when I was in the navy ran basic tests for arthritis and Lupus which came back negative, then in stead of doing their job they just gave up saying I was faking it. The pain from my spine and neck can give me headaches which if I don't actively work on getting rid of can turn into migraines. After a long time (weeks, months) of fighting the migraines almost daily along with the overall pain in my joints it can really have an effect on my mental and emotional health. I've written about part of my strategy in my blog on myspace, which is photography. I like photography, and use it as a means of trying to see the beauty in life. I try to see the beauty where others only see ugliness. I try to see others as Jesus would (tempered with a little caution out of self preservation). I usually carry a camera with me wherever I go, and look around me as I drive or walk around looking for some beauty or something interesting to take a picture of. I try and look around as if it is the first time I've been there, as if I've never seen the area and I'm discovering something new regardless of how many times I have been there. That is one of my most successful "coping" strategies for depression.

lorilei

Depressed? no not really...i love life, my family and my friends..but i have experienced anxiety this past year as things have escalated..possibly b/c i hate hanging on the precipice, and possibly post traumatically from a really challenging 2003 which involved my husband's battle with severe depression and a subsequent motorcycle accident (him not me)...

i have always handled things in great stride, but i do believe that my body tends to act out, for the things i keep under wraps...and some times i just let it..hmmm...so maybe I am depressed?? angry yes, but that's passing..

good thread Jill...

jillrapp

Wow, I didn't expect the responses you've all given and I'm so thankful for the heartfelt and honest answers!

I was treated for major depression and post tramatic stress (PTS) in my late 20's and early 30's. The drug I took was Serzone, now off the market in most countries including the U.S. for liver damage and in some cases liver failure. On an off note, one of my largest problem with Diabetes is with Dawn Phenonenom and liver dumping for no apparent reason. Hmmmm.....

I've been off anti-depressants for 7+ years now but am thinking about discussing this again with my doctor. My depression feelings could also be caused by my inability to sleep without help from Pharmaceuticals, or, maybe my lack of ability to sleep is caused by depression? That is my current $64,000 question! If the answer is "the aliens", I don't know what I am going to do!

RedRD

My experience with depression started in high school and I think still goes on at times. The only time I was treated w/meds was in college, when I was absolutely unable to face anything on most days. I would make it to my classes, but then just wouldn't be able to walk through the door, wanted to stay in bed all the time, just couldn't cope with anything.

I was also treated with Serzone, Jill - but didn't know where it had gone (and why!!!). I was on such a low dose, I doubt I have been damaged by it...

Good thread.

alura

I was diagnosed as depressed 20 years ago. I took Prozac for 10 years, then switched to Celexa. I take a low dose. It's one of those cases where I can't tell when I take it, but I sure know (as does anyone around me) when I don't take it. I am also a polio survivor and seem to have some other autoimmune issues. I am researching the polio - diabetes issues for a link, but so far have found nothing concrete.

jillrapp

So, those of you on anti-depressants, are any causing trouble with your blood sugar? If yes, which ones? If no, which is your miracle drug?

Barberian

I take Celexa (Citalopram Hydrobromide 10Mg) once daily for anxiety. It's most commonly prescribed for depression. I've been on it for almost a month now. It's main use is as an anti depressant. I have had no complications, or blood sugar issues with it.

mell1682
So, those of you on anti-depressants, are any causing trouble with your blood sugar? If yes, which ones? If no, which is your miracle drug?

None of my actual antidepressants (like Zoloft) ever caused me high blood sugars but the bipolar meds did (Seroquel, Abilify)...so I'm glad the diagnosis was wrong. I'm also thinking about going back on medications for sleep problems probably related to nerves.

Psycho Penguin

I was recently diagnosed with depression and put on Cymbalta and it's affecting my life in a bad way.. I always knew there was something wrong with me, and now that I know, it's getting me down a lot.. and I notice my sugars are higher and more out of whack lately since I started taking the medicine, although I am not sure if that's because of the medicine or because of the aliens.

ant hill

I have had many instances of handling this disease from being steered up in school and food has to think about in a second thought, Medical advise and their contradictions and buy being teased from stealing insulins and or equipment and having warm milk from a small bottle in school YUCK!! even teachers have misunderstanding of how we should eat as I hate my Phis Ed teacher who cannot tell weather I am able or not. Moron!!! :mad: Ballet was no better as I would look at something sweet before I get to dance and Jette pirouette and lift a lady is very hard work and I do get some peace in dance. Latter in my life I have had numbskull police who pick me up if I were a druggie. :( Even just getting work as interviews are biased against our disease. I hardly go out because of people look at me as I get to bolus before I eat and see will discriminate because that we are not like them.

At the moment I don't have meds to combat this as I would rather leave the prozac alone as I have worked in a mental hospital and that did not help at all. :(:(

Subby

I've been off anti-depressants for 7+ years now but am thinking about discussing this again with my doctor. My depression feelings could also be caused by my inability to sleep without help from Pharmaceuticals, or, maybe my lack of ability to sleep is caused by depression? That is my current $64,000 question! If the answer is "the aliens", I don't know what I am going to do!

I think these things can be both causes and effects at the same time. I've had terrible sleep issues for much of my life (the depression as such I talked about before). Getting good sleep is so important for mental health. Depression and anxiety can likewise can make it so important to get to and stay asleep. Surely a viscous circle, but probably not a neat one (eg, break one and you eradicate the other).

Just wanted to mention what I've found which is the incredible benefits of exercise for both mental state and sleep. Doesn't have to be iron man stuff, but I think it does need to be consistent for at least a few weeks and stuck to over months to get long lasting benefit. I'm not offering that as a pop solution. Just feel it is worth keeping in mind at all times as a tactic available.

Subby

I found that Prozac and Zoloft gave me substantial problems. The others I tried (3 or 4 of differening families, each one for at least a month or so) did not so much stuff with my BG's but gave me terrible mental and physical side effects.

Not naysaying, just reinforcing: YMMV. Greatly.

ncpd25

I guess I was fortunate because my Doctor made sure that the meds she gave me would not have an adverse effect on my blood sugars. She did tell me that there are some out there that will cause an extreme increase in blood sugars.

alicat61

:) Hi,

I have never been diagnosed with depression ,but know I do get very depressed at times. More so in the last 7 years.

I'm usually a very positive person who trys to see good in everyone and everything,but somedays are just black.

I come out of it after a day or 2. I guess my diabetes has a bit to do with it. I wonder if Menopause is around the corner:D

Also in the last 12 years my life has been turned upside down a few times. also it is said depression can be hereditory

My father had treatment for depresion in the 1960's but I did not learn of this until just before his death 12 years ago. It was a very Taboo subject back then (and still is with a lot of people)

My Sister is on antidepresnts due to her disabilities.

I think this is a great survey and thread and it is so good that everyone is so open.

I have a lot of friends who have or are dealing with depresion

CountYourselfIn
I was recently diagnosed with depression and put on Cymbalta and it's affecting my life in a bad way.. I always knew there was something wrong with me, and now that I know, it's getting me down a lot.. and I notice my sugars are higher and more out of whack lately since I started taking the medicine, although I am not sure if that's because of the medicine or because of the aliens.

= /

I feel that.

I was extremely depressed after spending a week in the hospital, peeing in a bag w/ a tube in my penis, delirious from dehydration, shouting incoherently at doctors and strangers I wouldn't remember the next day.

Then throwing me back out into the world, now knowing I'm extremely sick, extremely different, giving myself 9 needles a day (what other disease requires 9 shots in the belly, daily...), sure that if I eat a donut I'll die.

Yup, I was depressed.

I'm pretty over it now, but it took a while to get there.

If I was more motivated, I'd actively seek treatment for depression.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.