Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slgraham

Insulin needs throughout pregnancy

slgraham

Hi all,

My husband and I are trying for number 1 (and I'm about 4 days before testing) and I've noticed that my insulin needs have increased in the last week or so. Is this common for early pregnancy? I was under the impression that insulin needs decreased in the first trimester and then dramatically increased in 2nd and 3rd trimesters.

If anyone could let me know their experiences that would be great. I'm a bit confused right now, lol. Thanks!:)

Keezheekoni

The impression that you're under is incorrect. As you go through the first trimester, your insulin needs will increase. In the second trimester, they almost go back to your "regular" needs. In the third is when you need to watch carefully... your needs will increase, but if you notice a sudden drop in your insulin needs, that usually indicates that the placenta is degrading and you'll need to deliver the baby early.

HTH! And early congrats. :)

BonnieB

hey,

I have had 2 kids now and yes my insulin did decrease big time at the beginning. But everyone is diffferent. Best way to know is take the test!

slgraham

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your responses. And I am pregnant! :) I'm going to see my gp tomorrow and my endo next week. Luckily no nausea yet... keeping my fingers crossed as I could only imagine trying to keep my bgls stable when getting sick to my stomach :eek:

sarah91

Congratulations!

Well done! I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice on here about managing your sugars during 1st pregnancy.

Take care of yourself

Sarah

xxx

mell1682
Hi all,

Thank you so much for your responses. And I am pregnant! :) I'm going to see my gp tomorrow and my endo next week. Luckily no nausea yet... keeping my fingers crossed as I could only imagine trying to keep my bgls stable when getting sick to my stomach :eek:

Congratulations!!!!! :D

Coppernob
Hi all,

Thank you for sharing such lovely news. Congratulations! :)

shea718

HI ALL

MY NAME IS SHEA AND I AM 23 YEARS OLD WITH Type 1 Diabetes AND ITS SO HARD LIVING WITH THAT. SOMETIME I JUST WISH THAT I DIDN'T HAVE IT.

I NEED HELP WITH MINES

Jennah

My insulin requirements halved during first trimester, now im into second they are creeping back up..

Congrats :)

Even with nausea and morning sickness it just means everything with your pregnancy is progressing.. my family keep telling me they are glad all my neighbours work during the day or everyone on the street would know I was pregnant from the nasty noises of morning sickness lol.. figuring out howmuch food you need to replace in your stomach after being sick to prevent hypos is HARD!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.