Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iStone

Metformin Makes Me STINK!

Tattoo azz

I've been on Met for about a week now and so far the only symptoms i have are excess wind. I don't know the name of the brand tho my box just says Metformin. It sounds like the starter of this thread may be having a reaction to an ingrediant in the tablets rather than to metformin itself, if you still aren't getting any response from your doc, change to a new one and tell them the probs you've been having.

sable_032592

back in 95/96 i was on glucophage as part of a trial study to see if it was good for T1s, i was on the brand name one and the side effects are the same as on metformin, gas, metallic taste, bloating, basically intestinal issues, but i've been on this med for more than 12 years now and i've never had such a serious side effect as making me smell from every pore and fiber of my being...

there is a medical condition that can make you smell like feces, though i can't remember the name, it was on an episode of house a few years ago...

i hope the new meds help...

m2jpilot

dont think I ever smelled bad taking metformin, but I do remember what it did to my vison, couldn't read a dinner menu. went off the met and vison returned.

LittleMaxi

I've been taking 500mg ER Metformin, I believe the Manufacturers name is Teva, and my wife says I stink as well. I couldn't put my finger on it until like yourself I went away for a trip and forgot my Med's, and the Stink was gone, I hope someone knows of a fix to this dilema, Like you iStone I'm frustrated and confused...

iskowitzsa

Have to relate this story after researching fishy smelling metformin. My sisiter in Law in NY has been having a problem with keeping her blood sugar under control. It has been risng 100 to 150 points even while she has been much more aware and eating better. She even went to the doctor again and he kept her on this and added something else and told to come back in three weeks for a recheck. She complained about the smell of the metformin to me ( not sure if to the doctor) and My comment is take it to a pharmacist and see what he says about the smell. Well she went to CVS and they just shined her on and would not talk to her since she didn't purchase it there (she gets it from her insurance (HIP)). She even went to Walmart and the pharmacist was very helpful and told her some gernerics do have that smell and it was nothing to worry about. She mentioned her higher reading, and guess what the pharmacist was enough concerned that he said he will call the doctor and check this out. the best part of the story and this just happened is she didn't purchase the medicine at walmart but at least the parmacist was very curtious and helpful to at least listen and try to help her out. don't know how this will turn out but Walmart is on my good side for being conciencious and helpful.

Mumina

I totally agree with you, it stinks and makes me stink! I have tried every kind, name brand and generic. It didn't change it. My breath is the worst! I tried going off of it totally but I am back on it and up to the max dose so no luck. I use a lot of mouthwash and deodorants and just try to live with it.

LittleMaxi

Today is the 28th and I stopped taking my Metformin, on the day of my last post on the 13th, my smell has left me, and I am realy closely monitoring my carb intake, I also check my blood every two to three hours, and I'm pretty excited that my numbers are actually a little better than when I was taking my Metformin, hopefully I'm not just fooling myself, but I have my fingers crossed !!

chriscb
Today is the 28th and I stopped taking my Metformin, on the day of my last post on the 13th, my smell has left me, and I am realy closely monitoring my carb intake, I also check my blood every two to three hours, and I'm pretty excited that my numbers are actually a little better than when I was taking my Metformin, hopefully I'm not just fooling myself, but I have my fingers crossed !!
I read on another thread that you can control your type 2 diabetes by following a low glycemic diet. I've been looking for some good low glycemic recipes but unfortunately, most (if not all) of the so-called "low glycemic" cookbooks and websites out there don't give the GI or GL! :mad:

LittleMaxi

Chris,

I stay extremely basic with my diet, I try and sometimes succeed in convincing myself that the nutritional density of my food, is far more important than to be perverted by the taste... So I stick to mostly lean protiens, like chicken and fish, and what carbs I intake, are usually sweet potatoes or brown rice... I find that preperation is the whole key to my success, using Sunday as my cooking day, I will usually grill a dozen to sixteen breasts of chicken, boil 2 dozen eggs, cut up different veggies and place them in portion control bags... If I don't do this for myself, I find that I justify in my head its ok to splurge a bit because I don't have my lunch with me or some crazy excuse like this...

I wish I could recomend a good cook book but I myself haven't found one that is just right either... Keep your chin up Chris !!

debandy527

I asked the question why does my metformin stink and this forum popped up. I read istone's entries and all the replies he received were good advice. I purchase my metformin from wallmart and it smells like cat urine and makes me gag when I take it. I drink alot of water daily and shower with neutregena shower gel and use degree deoderant which helps me feel more secure. I wish you all well and thanks to the person who gave the advice about preparing her food in bags for the week. I wrote that down. Thanks:)

Jim H

I'm taking Metfomin at the moment and I'm sure it gives me wind. Lets say they are quite pungent aswell.

Well I blame the Metformin anyway!! ;)

Cybermerlin

In response to There was no diet change while I was away. I rarely eat at all. I have GI problems as well, & avoid eating as much as possible. Normally just toast & Glucerna shakes. That's my life.

I found this bit of info from Healthopedia...Maybe this helps in finding a solution

Medicines�Although certain medications and enteral nutrition formulas should not be used together at all, in other cases they may be used together even if an interaction might occur. In these cases, your doctor may want to change the dose, or other precautions may be necessary. Tell your health care professional if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription (over-the-counter [OTC]) medicine.

I hope this helps find the cause as it may be possible that the Glucerna is reacting with the Metformin

RustyShakleford

While I don't have the odor problem you've mentioned, I have noticed that my Met smells like fish food. I hate taking it. In the past, I have been given Glucophage and it had no odor at all. Normally, I as for it but in the off case I don't, like this month, I get the stinky Met...:(

IggyDalrymple

I've never noticed an odor from metformin. I use the generic from the VA and it's probably the cheapest. Upon reading this thread, I opened my bottle didn't notice any smell.

NewdestinyX
My advice would be to start up cigarette smoking, its pungent odor will negate the met smell.

:D

(j/k)

Ha!!! Good one..

I'm a newbie here -- and my wife noticed a little pungent odor to me breath in my first week but that's dissipated. They do taste a little nasty, the Metformin ER 500mg tabs -- but bearable. I too get mine from Walmart for $9 for 60. I had to drop from 1000mg/day to 500 and try adding ACtos.. The GI issues with Metformin have been unbearable for me..

And though I needed a new prescription for glasses recently anyway (could be damage from 2 years undiagnosed) and I'm getting used to the new prescription I've noticed that focussing -- in near distances has been problematic of late and sometimes I can't focus at all even with the new glasses.. It was interesting to read earlier that a person had to get off 'met or avandia' for focussing issues. I just started my Actos yesterday -- and this focusing problem issue has started more since my diagnosis date and the Met (and the new glasses). Can't be the Actos...

Rainboww

I've been taking Metformin since I was diagnosed a couple of years ago. I do have to take it with food or I get digestive problems including diarhea and gas,, but I hadn't noticed any smell to the pills. The last refill I got, about a week ago had different pills in the container. These pills smell terrible. I noticed that I was getting TERRIBLE gas, and thought it was something I ate, but it continued for days, and I finally figured out that it was the new Metformins, so I brought the container of them back to the pharmacy and asked if they had changed the brand they gave me. yes,, they did. they changed to Teva. I don't know the name of the other brand. Well, I checked a few pharmacies and two more also carried Teva, and then I found one that has another brand today,, a third brand. Two out of three brands do not stink in the bottle. I've just taken the first one of the new brand, so can't give a report yet. But, I do know that there is a difference in the two brands that I've had. I suggest that you check and see if the brand you have is Teva,, and, if so, look for a pharmacy that has another brand,, and make sure you take them with food and lots of water.

It is not funny! It's horrible!

NewdestinyX
I've been taking Metformin since I was diagnosed a couple of years ago. I do have to take it with food or I get digestive problems including diarhea and gas,, but I hadn't noticed any smell to the pills. The last refill I got, about a week ago had different pills in the container. These pills smell terrible. I noticed that I was getting TERRIBLE gas, and thought it was something I ate, but it continued for days, and I finally figured out that it was the new Metformins, so I brought the container of them back to the pharmacy and asked if they had changed the brand they gave me. yes,, they did. they changed to Teva. I don't know the name of the other brand. Well, I checked a few pharmacies and two more also carried Teva, and then I found one that has another brand today,, a third brand. Two out of three brands do not stink in the bottle. I've just taken the first one of the new brand, so can't give a report yet. But, I do know that there is a difference in the two brands that I've had. I suggest that you check and see if the brand you have is Teva,, and, if so, look for a pharmacy that has another brand,, and make sure you take them with food and lots of water.

It is not funny! It's horrible!

So until they changed the brand recently you've been fine -- no gas, etc.? Because I've been on it for 7 weeks and now don't get gas anymore. And it doesn't seem to be whether I take them before during or after meals. Are you sure your body hasn't just acclimated like most of the literature says will happen with time? Because most of us would never want to 'willingly test' to SEE if we could make it bad again by NOT taking it with meals. I now take mine 30 minutes after a meal and it seems to control my BG better. Still no gas return.

Rainboww

If, at any time, I took the old brand with very little water and without food,, there was always **** to pay. If I took it with food and a lot of water then it was better. This new brand, Teva, is still supposed to be the same drug and same dose so there should not be any need for any acclimating. But I noticed the difference as soon as I opened the container.. whew! the pills themselves stink! my other ones did not, nor do the ones I got today.

Goslinprincess

i've been using metformin for 3 years now, and that has never happened to me, my father as well.... have you asked your doctor about it?

Rainboww

the various brands of Metformin, which is also called Glucophage, have a standard amount of the actual chemical, like 500 mgs. but the additives used for binding and filling the tablet out can be different. I'm curious to know what Teva uses for binder and filler in their tablets! haha

kerryaki
All I know is it is Metformin. If there are different brands, I am not aware of that. The prescription bottle says "Metformin", so I assume it is not generic. It is the same one I've been taking since I learned I have Type 2 Diabetes almost a year ago. I am SO done with this stupid disease! IT HAS RUINED MY LIFE! Now, thanks to the medication, I can't even stand the smell of myself! I'm isolated. IT SUCKS!

I'm over this dumb disease, as well! I can relate to how you are feeling. I wish I could turn the calendar back to mid 2007, before I was diagnosed.

I don't think I smell from the Metformin, per se (but will be asking my husband later!), but I have noticed that the last two bottles I've gotten have REEKED of urine when I opened them. It's enough to make me GAG! I dread having to take them every day. (I thought I might have ticked the pharmacist off or something, and he was just getting back at me, if you know what I mean! Come to think of it, they never have my 'scrip ready on time! Maybe it takes a day for the urine to dry...)

Rainboww

" the last two bottles I've gotten have REEKED of urine when I opened them."

Ask your pharmacist if they have changed the company that they get it from.

Metformin is the generic name. Glucophage is a brand name. More than one company make the generic.. I call the company that makes it a 'brand'. Anyway, my pharmacy has just changed the company that they buy the generic Metformin from. Maybe yours has too. It's a big chain that I haven't named, but maybe you get yours from the same chain. I called another big chain to see and they have been using Teva for a long time. I bought a new bottle yesterday from a pharmacy that uses a company called Apotex. It does not smell bad.

kerryaki
Ask your pharmacist if they have changed the company that they get it from.

Metformin is the generic name. Glucophage is a brand name. More than one company make the generic.. I call the company that makes it a 'brand'. Anyway, my pharmacy has just changed the company that they buy the generic Metformin from. Maybe yours has too. It's a big chain that I haven't named, but maybe you get yours from the same chain. I called another big chain to see and they have been using Teva for a long time. I bought a new bottle yesterday from a pharmacy that uses a company called Apotex. It does not smell bad.

Thank you for the info. I'm going to do that!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.