Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iStone

Metformin Makes Me STINK!

Rainboww

I was telling a new nurse that I'd recently been having a problem with stinking Metformin pills, and she said, 'oh, yeah! that's the first thing I tell patients is that Metformin stinks!'

I said, 'you didn't let me finish - I found out that it is a difference in the ingredients between one manufacturer and another.' She didn't believe me, so I showed her both bottles and asked her to smell the difference. haha She turned up her nose and didn't even want to smell the one to compare. I held the new bottle in front of her but she didn't put her nose down to smell, though she could see the shape of it. Then I put the Teva one to show her and opened it. She didn't even have to get her nose close.. haha she could smell it from a couple of feet away!

RandallFlagg

I get mine filled at Costco and it's mfg is Apotex. It has a smell to it, but I'm not sure if it's stinky. Does anyone else use this mfg and what do you think of the smell? To those that have found the non smelling ones, where did you fill it and who is the mfg? Thanks.:)

Rainboww

My new one is from Cosco and is Apotex. The one from Teva,, Walgreen's carries Teva,, and it is Rite-Aid that just switched to Teva. I don't know who the manufacturer is of the ones I used to get before Rite Aid switches. The Apotex may have a mild smell, but believe me, it's not like the Teva one.. hahaha

Rainboww

I don't see how to edit posts here after they are posted, or I would add this on to the last one,, but, maybe this is okay because maybe people have read the last one and wouldn't see the addition.

I just found out that Rite Aid was using a manufacturer named Izax before they switched to Teva. A pharmacist at my local one is going to try to see if she can order from Izax or not. I'll let you know.

NewdestinyX
I don't see how to edit posts here after they are posted, or I would add this on to the last one,, but, maybe this is okay because maybe people have read the last one and wouldn't see the addition.

I just found out that Rite Aid was using a manufacturer named Izax before they switched to Teva. A pharmacist at my local one is going to try to see if she can order from Izax or not. I'll let you know.

The moderators at this forum can set certain preferences unique to this vBulletin interface. I've been at several forums that use this interface that allow 48 hours of editing your post. They've chosen here to allow edits for only 10 minutes. That's why you don't see the edit button. I'm about to ask them to change that. They also only allow 2670 characters in Private Messages.. What's up with that?!! I can understand for main messages here limiting characters.. but in a PM???

NewdestinyX
I have to make a correction... the pharmacy is Osco and not Cosco that carries Apotex metformin.
I think I see an APO written on my Met pills themselves? Would that likely be the APOTEX brand.. But mine don't stink -- they have a slight 'ashey taste/smell' like penicillin in liquid state but nothing that stinks like several of you are saying.

Rainboww

I think so. My apotex ones say APO 500.

The Teva ones had something different on the pills, but I forgot wht now cuz I threw them out. They are also each in a slightly different shape,, all being white and longish, but the ends are slightly different.

NewdestinyX
I think so. My apotex ones say APO 500.

The Teva ones had something different on the pills, but I forgot wht now cuz I threw them out. They are also each in a slightly different shape,, all being white and longish, but the ends are slightly different.

And the APO doesn't smell to you, right? It doesn't to me.. Just tastes slightly weird -- but nothing foul.

kerryaki

Rainboww -

I've been getting my Metformin at Rite Aid for 2 years. I'm going to ask them if they've switched suppliers recently.

Thanks for all the great info!!

(This makes me wonder just what exactly their new drug manufacturer is putting in the Metformin that makes it smell so foul! P-U!:confused:)

Rainboww

Some people have always used Teva.. Walgreen's says they've been using Teva for years. Some people think that all metformin stinks cuz they have only used Teva.

Right,, the apotex does not stink and I'm not having the problem with so much flatulence either.

I did look at the Teva ones and they have numbers on both sides - one side says 48 and the other side says 93. Those are the ones that gave me the BIG problem and I'm throwing them out.

The Izax ones were from Rite Aid and those don't stink either. I'm asking the Rite Aid pharmacist to try to get me those,, and I'm telling them that if they continue with the stinky Teva that I'm just not going to buy them.

I hope the orignal poster is still tracking this so he can change and be with his wife again!

Rainboww

I found a site that is a 'pill identifier' that shows pics of each pill and tells who manufactured it, etc. I'll post the link here. There are a lot of kinds of metformin and many manufacturers. Teva puts out a few variations and dosages and the one I had is like on about the 5th page and apotex on about the 7th page!

Metformin - Pill Identification Wizard | Drugs.com

NewdestinyX
I found a site that is a 'pill identifier' that shows pics of each pill and tells who manufactured it, etc. I'll post the link here. There are a lot of kinds of metformin and many manufacturers. Teva puts out a few variations and dosages and the one I had is like on about the 5th page and apotex on about the 7th page!
Yeah mine's this one on page 9 - and I got it from my local Walmart - they must not use Teva:

APO500xr.jpg

But these pictures don't seem to be a comparitive scale in size. I SO have trouble swallowing this pill - it's like a frickin' HORSE pill.. and many of the other pictures seem like a smaller pill for my same dose.. But I don't have ANY of the stinking problems with mine so I'm reticent about changing. And then that's if your pharmacy would even be able to GET the other brand.. and for the Walmart $9 price for 60 too !!

Rainboww

I was so surprised at the price!! I paid $6 for 100. I never paid for them before as insurance covered it, but had to pay this time cuz it was too soon for a refill. I expected it to be higher.

haha I'll bet the pharmaceutical companies are not expecting us to know the difference and shop around! But here we are now educated and informed and able to cope with the situation by shopping for the best product.

NewdestinyX
I was so surprised at the price!! I paid $6 for 100. I never paid for them before as insurance covered it, but had to pay this time cuz it was too soon for a refill. I expected it to be higher.

haha I'll bet the pharmaceutical companies are not expecting us to know the difference and shop around! But here we are now educated and informed and able to cope with the situation by shopping for the best product.

And empowered/self-educated consumer is a VERY good thing, Rainboww. You'll be more in control of your condition and have a greater chance for success. Like I know it's time for me to 'forcefully' ask my doc to let me go on some insulin until these numbers come down more.

AngelKitty

But these pictures don't seem to be a comparitive scale in size. I SO have trouble swallowing this pill - it's like a frickin' HORSE pill..

I couldn't agree with you more, these were my exact words to my DH!

Rainboww

the pics of pills do not say that they are 'actual size',, and the size of them in the pic depends on what size monitor you have. The point of the pics is to identify the trademarks and not to give you the actual size. But, okay,, I don't take the same kind you do. Mine are not horse pills. Exactly how big is your pill? out of curiosity. I cut mine in half and take both halves,, which I can do because they are not the kind that last a long time. Are yours the long release kind? But that is another topic anyway. I guess the problem is solved here,, so I'm done with this thread.

I hope the original poster gets another brand. And I have found the answer and solution to my problem. Thank you all!

AngelKitty
Sorry, Kitty.. What's a DH?

"Dear Husband" usually, some days the "dear" part gets substituted with other "d" words! :eek: :T :D

Subby

I'm noticing a kind of burnt sulpher breath odour... I think. It reminds me of how my urine might smell when I used to smoke (so could have been related to dehydration). Does this sound like the breath anyone gets?

I haven't been drinking a special amount of water with my metformin (XR). Should I be trying to down more water?

BuffaloBenny

There are a LOT of responses to this thread, so I apologize if somebody already beat me to this one... the poster says Metformin makes his feces stink. Did it not stink before Metformin? ;)

Granny Shanny
There are a LOT of responses to this thread, so I apologize if somebody already beat me to this one... the poster says Metformin makes his feces stink. Did it not stink before Metformin? ;)

Oh god - I'm gonna die laughing now!

bwei3her

My pharmacy recently changed my Metformin to a different manufacturer (TEVA) and this now makes me stink too! I was taking the APOTEX brand and I was OK. This APOTEX brand is now impossible for me to find. It seems that all the pharmacies around me have changed to the TEVA brand. I have tried other brands and they make me even sicker and stink even worse. Please help me find the (APOTEX) brand. It was a oblong-shaped tablet imprinted with "APO500" on one side and "MET" on the other side. Believe me there is a HUGE difference between the different manufacturers. I hope this helps.

NewdestinyX
My pharmacy recently changed my Metformin to a different manufacturer (TEVA) and this now makes me stink too! I was taking the APOTEX brand and I was OK. This APOTEX brand is now impossible for me to find. It seems that all the pharmacies around me have changed to the TEVA brand. I have tried other brands and they make me even sicker and stink even worse. Please help me find the (APOTEX) brand. It was a oblong-shaped tablet imprinted with "APO500" on one side and "MET" on the other side. Believe me there is a HUGE difference between the different manufacturers. I hope this helps.
Welcome to the forum, Bwei3her! The Apotex brand seems used by all the Walmart's in my area. Try them. It's also super cheap. $9 for 60 of them. The XR version that is. Are you taking the extended release version?

Jim H

Hello and welcome to this Forum, :wavey: Which part of the world are you from?

I have had these TEVA made Metformin and they don't give me a problem. I actually prefer them as they are oblong-shaped which are easier to swallow and in long packets on pairs which is easy to see if you have missed one. I also now on Teva made Simvastatin and I like them as well, they actually have days of the week printed on them so you can see if you have missed one as well. :thumbsup:

For the last few months I have been given 'Activas' Metformin (round tablets) and these I'm sure give me wind and an upset stomach in the evening. I think when I get my perscription tomorrow I will ask the Pharmacy for the longer packets (TEVA or APS made). I don't pay for perscriptions as I have a NHS exempton card. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.