Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iStone

Metformin Makes Me STINK!

Cindi

METFORMIN MAKES ME STINK, TOO!!!

I have the same problem. I have been STINKING ever since I started taking Metformin HCL (extended release tablets) and just didn't know where the smell was coming from. I have been to several doctors (including my endocrinologist) and no one could give me a concrete answer as to where this body odor is coming from. I was talking to a friend of mine who is Type 2, and she told me that she had to stop taking Metforming because it made her smell like a pole cat and smell like urine all the time. Once she stopped the Metformin (she now takes Insulin), the terrible, terrible body odor left, too. This has been the most humiliating thing for me. Every part of my body smells, as well as my breath. I smell like urine, feces, rotten eggs, and anything else that is disgusting. I plan to stop taking Metformin for a while to see if the B.O. goes away. If it does disappear, I will ask my doctor to prescribe something else for me to take. Does anyone know of another diabetic medicine that will not cause weight gain? Most diabetic medicines will cause weight gain, with the exception of Metforming.

DIABETMIN

Is DIABETMIN a prescribed medicine or a product that you purchase from the health food store?

convictuz

. I'm prediabetes 53 yr old male, and of course the hospital MD says no need to worry so I started monitoring my glucose and found when I get out of bed its 80-97 and 2 hrs after a meal it can be as high as 140. My understanding is that I'd be better off if I was taking Metformin. Do you agree this and is Metformin the best med for my condition and what dosage would I start on. Thanks Peter

princesslinda

Welcome convictuz! Metformin works by helping make us more sensitive to the insulin we're making. It works best with a lower carb diet and regular exercise. If you're overweight, the metformin may help with weight loss and appetite suppression, as the extreme hunger can be caused by insulin resistance. We have many here on the forums who manage with diet/exercise alone.

That being said, if you can tweak your diet and manage to get excellent readings with diet alone, go for it. The metformin will be there if and when you need it.

Cblake

I can relate to this. When I was taking it, I nick named it metafartin. I smelled like a kitty litter pan. great way to lose friends too.

hghcntryhikr

My name is Diana, I also am a Type 2 diabetic (...have been since I was 19 years old). For many years I relied solely on diet alone after going off Orinase due to side-effects. At the age of 61, my A1c being in the 9.9% range, I was started on Metformin 500 mg twice a day. The smell was absolutely HORRIBLE!! It literally came out my pores, my urine, sweat even my breath. The smell never left me. Then one day, while renewing my prescription, I was given the small SEALED 60 ct. bottle of SANDOZ Metformin (from the ORIGINAL distributor). The foul smell instantly went away!! Upon opening and sniffing contents of the bottle I discovered the pills themselves did not stink or taste bad...PROBLEM solved!! Now whenever my husband calls in a prescription for a refill he makes sure to request (no...demand!!) a SEALED bottle of the 60 ct. tablets. We asked the doctor to write out his prescription requesting refills of 60 tablets instead of larger amounts, which are supplied in bulk at the pharmacy. The bottle the pharmacists receive from various suppliers come in bulk and are the culprit for the STINKY smell your having. Try it....I promise....you will be pleased with the results.

hghcntryhikr
Hidden

My name is Diana, I also am a Type 2 diabetic (...have been since I was 19 years old). For many years I relied solely on diet alone after going off Orinase due to side-effects. At the age of 61, my A1c being in the 9.9% range, I was started on Metformin 500 mg twice a day. The smell was absolutely HORRIBLE!! It literally came out my pores, my urine, sweat even my breath. The smell never left me. Then one day, while renewing my prescription, I was given the small SEALED 60 ct. bottle of SANDOZ Metformin (from the ORIGINAL distributor). The foul smell instantly went away!! Upon opening and sniffing contents of the bottle I discovered the pills themselves did not stink or taste bad...PROBLEM solved!! Now whenever my husband calls in a prescription for a refill he makes sure to request (no...demand!!) a SEALED bottle of the 60 ct. tablets. We asked the doctor to write out his prescription requesting refills of 60 tablets instead of larger amounts, which are supplied in bulk at the pharmacy. The bottle the pharmacists receive from various suppliers come in bulk and are the culprit for the STINKY smell your having. Try it... I promise, you will be pleased with the results.

Daddy's Girl

Wow...this thread is incredible to read!

I was on Metformin for a few weeks when i was first diagnosed in 2000.

I never noticed an odor, but Metformin was hard on my stomach. I told the doctor

it made me sick and she immediately changed me to Glipizide.

If push comes to shove and someone out there can't get their doctor to pay attention to "I STINK" ~ I recommend that you tell your unsympathetic doctor that it "makes me sick." They are much more likely to switch you if the medication is making you sick to your stomach versus a stinking problem.

I cannot imagine living like that and my sympathy goes out to anyone living that way. sorrowsmiley1.gif

newleaf

Wow, I read most of this thread and feel really bad for the original poster. I've taken metformin XR, but was quickly switched to glumetza which is a form of metformin but is easier on the digestive system...to solve the issue that cblake referred to as metafartin (oh my gosh that cracked me up).

I never noticed any odor issues at all, but if I ever go back to regular metformin...I'll sure pay really close attn to see. It must be really difficult to live w/ that problem and hope it's just a side effect of that particular generic rather than all metformin. I actually went to smell my old bottle of metformin XR and didn't notice any odor...so I hope the poster can fix his terrible problem by switching the metformin he takes or possibly switching to glumetza.

Caveman

I have been on metformin for a few years now and I noticed that the odor I leave in the bathroom gets worse when I consume a lot of carbohydrates. So now I follow the advice of this book: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars, and consume less than 30 carbs a day. That solved my odor problem.

Hghcntryhkr

I too am a Type 2 Diabetic and have experienced the same problem with Metformin making me stink. I found the solution to the problem by requesting Sandoz (brand) Metformin be supplied in an unopened (sealed) 60 tablet bottle. The large bottle of 500 tablets the pharmacy uses to fill most prescription seems to be the problem. NO MORE SMELL!! Try it...I promise you will see a difference. :D

ORjt

What an interesting thread. I, too, feel for the OP, and anyone else that's had this particular problem:eek:

I've started taking Metformin 500mg XR (not sure of the brand), back in May. I've noticed more gas, but nothing beyond that. I tried taking Met 2-3 years ago, and just could not tolerate it. This time around, Doc had me start with 1/2 tab per day, at night. The pharmacist recommended taking it with food.

I found out, quickly, that I have to take it *after* a full meal. But by doing that (and I'm sure I'm getting a fair amount of fluid by then), I've tolerated it really well, and it's made a huge diff in my BG levels (from well north of 250 post meal, to around 140-150 post now :) :) ... (I'm exercising more, too - )

Just got a new refill, and I've noticed the pills are different in color; I'll check tonight to see who the mfr are of the two pill types.

Anyway, hope the OP found a solution - and that this is helpful. Sure is a lot of good information here ...

--JT

Cblake
What an interesting thread. I, too, feel for the OP, and anyone else that's had this particular problem:eek:

I've started taking Metformin 500mg XR (not sure of the brand), back in May. I've noticed more gas, but nothing beyond that. I tried taking Met 2-3 years ago, and just could not tolerate it. This time around, Doc had me start with 1/2 tab per day, at night. The pharmacist recommended taking it with food.

I found out, quickly, that I have to take it *after* a full meal. But by doing that (and I'm sure I'm getting a fair amount of fluid by then), I've tolerated it really well, and it's made a huge diff in my BG levels (from well north of 250 post meal, to around 140-150 post now :) :) ... (I'm exercising more, too - )

Just got a new refill, and I've noticed the pills are different in color; I'll check tonight to see who the mfr are of the two pill types.

Anyway, hope the OP found a solution - and that this is helpful. Sure is a lot of good information here ...

--JT

yep, it makes you real gassy.

thats why IO call Metformin, fart in the mornin.

ashleynabbee07
All I know is it is Metformin. If there are different brands, I am not aware of that. The prescription bottle says "Metformin", so I assume it is not generic. It is the same one I've been taking since I learned I have Type 2 Diabetes almost a year ago. I am SO done with this stupid disease! IT HAS RUINED MY LIFE! Now, thanks to the medication, I can't even stand the smell of myself! I'm isolated. IT SUCKS!

Hi, I was put on Metaformin a couple of weeks ago. I always have blood work every 3 months. The last reading was 127 and that was a fasting reading. So He put me on it. I have notice too, I have a strong yucky odor to my urine. I am trying to wear Thin serenity pads but it still smells. I am on the time release Metaformin too. Don't know what to do, Metaformin is suppose to be the safest drug to take for diabetes 2, and am afraid to go on any other one. So i am in the same boat as the rest of you's.

ashleynabbee07

Hi Cindi, I have been on it for a few weeks and I am having the same problem, didn't realize until I was sitting in a puppy class with our puppies, My urine even smells when I go. I am on the metaformin release pills. I was told on this forum to have the doctor write specifically for Sandoz(brand) metaformin unopened (sealed) 60 tablet bottle. So I called my doctor's office today and haven't heard anything yet. But you have to be careful with alot of the other meds for diabetes 2, I did alot of research and most of them cause you to gain weight and also have some bad side effects. What I have seen, Metaformin is the safest drug out there for diabetes 2. Hope this helps.

lisalisa77

I just started Metformin just over a week and a half ago and the smell you are talking about just started. My breath smells so bad all I smell is feces. I noticed it lastnight but now is so bad I can't stand it, I am not sure if my body is also excreting it or not too but now that I know to expect it I am gonna invest in a bottle of perfume.

lisalisa77

For me I never had extreme hunger until I started the Metformin, I would go sometimes all day without eating and only eating dinner. Now I can't go more then three hours without eating something:( Although I did learn the hardway to stay away from any white carbs (white flour, whole wheat flour, white flour pasta's n bread, whole wheat pasta's n bread, all white potatoes, etc.) Only eat whole grain whole wheat flour products, read the label first. Just cause it says whole grain on the label don't mean it's really whole grain and you will not like the side effects if you take Metformin. I realized the hardway of mixing white carbs with Metformin while at a hockey game then the whole night at home afterwards, not a pleasant time at all.

Ela

Lisalisa,

Why don't you post more in some other thread and/or introduction? I mean whole wheat is just as bad for me or worse than white bread and pasta and actually I think I'm not the only one. Do you test? Do you reduce carbohydrates?

In any case I didn't read the whole thread, but personally I take Metformin for almost 2 years and didn't notice any smell...well, the pills smell fishy, but not my urine or anything. I think it is possible that those who eat more carbs have more problems with Met.

William V

Its been12 yrs of stink. I found it's worse the more carbs you eat. Is real name is metfartin. And yes some brands are worse than others in that regard. I have a small fan at my work station to dilute the smell.

lisalisa77

I have the exact same problem, I am not sure if it's what I am eating that is contributing to it too or not but I am gonna start keeping a journal to see how if the smell goes away once I omit some foods in my diet. The smell is horrible that my body is emitting because of this medication, no one will even sit beside me on at a bus stop or on the bus because I stink so badly even after I have showered just before leaving the house. And my urine is so strong and horrible smelling it's beyond disgusting, it's frustrating because I have gotten poked and prodded trying to figure out if I had something medically wrong with me that is what's causing it the doc thought but nope couldn't find anything wrong. Although another doctor did mention that it is very common to have this odor you speak of but not as strong as it is. So I am so frustrated and feel depressed because although it is helping me lose weight I am losing my self confidence because I just feel like a disgusting smelly pig all the time:( If you have found any solution to this problem I am all ears in finding out what it is I can do to change my body smell back to normal. Thank you in advance:)

moneymeister

I don't notice a smell...well, I smell like I always did. Checked with my sister...she is not having issues either. I am moderate carbs and sister is higher carbs. Have you tried the extended release version? Some people say that helps. Metformin Smelling Fishy? What You Can Do. :: Diabetes Self-Management

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.