Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

londonnikki

unplanned pregnancy type 1 diabetes

londonnikki

Hello, Im Nikki i have recently found out im pregnant and extreamly worried as my sugar levels have not been tight as the pregnancy was not planned. Im am worried that already done damage to my baby.

I lost my son Junior in 2005 at 20wks due to undiagnosed diabetes which is why im even more worried as i cant face the same thing happening again and have even gone over the option of not having the baby due to the harm i may have done to him/her.

Has anyone else been in this situation of high sugars in early pregnancy and is there a positive outcome, i d love to hear as everything i read scares me to , i dont seem to find any posivive stories.

I am due to see my diabetic early pregnancy team this week and am getting my suger levels down but would love to hear from real women that have gone through the same

Thank you x

gettingby

Hi Nikki and Welcome to DF.:)

I was diagnosed as a T1 in 1984. I then became pregnant with my daughter at the end of '89 (unplanned, as well). My bgs weren't under control at the time. I won't say that it was an easy pregnancy (it wasn't) but I do have a healthy 18yr old who will graduate high school in June. My only problem was that because my bgs weren't controlled before and during pregnancy, she was a large baby. A little time under the lights for jaundice after birth but other than that, she was fine and still is. She is rarely, if ever, sick.

Just try to get the best control that you can now. Only your diabetic team can tell you if there will be any lasting effects. Take care and know that you now have a tremendous support team here.

Edit: Oh yeah, during my pregnancy, I was on NPH and Regular.

mell1682
Hello, Im Nikki i have recently found out im pregnant and extreamly worried as my sugar levels have not been tight as the pregnancy was not planned. Im am worried that already done damage to my baby.

I lost my son Junior in 2005 at 20wks due to undiagnosed diabetes which is why im even more worried as i cant face the same thing happening again and have even gone over the option of not having the baby due to the harm i may have done to him/her.

Has anyone else been in this situation of high sugars in early pregnancy and is there a positive outcome, i d love to hear as everything i read scares me to , i dont seem to find any posivive stories.

I am due to see my diabetic early pregnancy team this week and am getting my suger levels down but would love to hear from real women that have gone through the same

Thank you x

Both of my pregnancies were very unplanned (I didn't know that diabetics COULD get pregnant lol) and both times, my blood sugar was nowhere near in control with A1C's in the 12's (average blood sugar: 349) for part of the first trimester. It was very difficult, but do-able to get my bloods under control. It was definitely easier my 2nd time; it's a LOT of testing (I tested every 2 hours on the dot during my pregnancies) but it can be done. My first daughter was 4 weeks early, and she was rather big for that gestation: 7 lbs 9 oz and she had to spend a bit of time in the NICU. My 2nd daughter was delivered at 38 weeks, perfect weight and she came home with me immediately. My daughters are living proof that diabetic mommies can have healthy babies even when their sugars aren't the best. With both girls, I was on Humalog but the first time I took it with Lantus and the 2nd time I took it with NPH. The most important thing to do now is not to look back and start looking ahead and taking care of it now. I wish you nothing but the best of luck and if you need anything at all, please feel free to PM me :) DF is a great place for support!

Mich

I have two grown daughters, both healthy. Neither pregnancy was planned.

The first was before meters. I was on NPH and Regular and just guessing, but I was as careful as possible at the time. She was a big baby because of slightly higher blood sugars. I think it was those darned oranges I was craving. I also worked full time until my 8th month.

My second daughter was born after meters. I went into "healthy foods" mode again and this time had a few "fetal stress tests" to determine the correct timing of the Ceasarian delivery. Luckily, this time I was craving green salad ;) and she weighed a little less than her sister. I again taught up to the middle of the 8th month with her.

Do the best control you can and start right away with your diabetic team to keep you informed and give advice. Congratulations and remember, we're here.

Mich

GretchO

My BSs were not in control (A1C was over 9) when I found out I was pregnant (also unplanned). I was advised to terminate the pregnancy but could not. I did get my BSs under control very quickly and they remained very good throughout the pregnancy (under 6). My 4 year old was a wee bit early, but healthy! So far, she's been the picture of perfect health.

Keezheekoni

I have 5 kids and am pregnant with #6. The first 2 I was not in good control *at all*. I can't remember back that far, but I think I was on NPH and R, but I'd have to find my records and look. I was a teen at the time I had my first two, and as everyone knows, teens like to rebel against anything. Diabetes control was not high on my list. I think I'm a lucky one though, since I went past term with my first and he was only 7#2oz. My second was early due to PROM, she was 34 weeks and 5#15oz.

The last three were unremarkable, since I was in control with all of them... they were normal weights for their gestational ages.

So, get yourself in control and everything should be just fine!

It could be... possible or not possible..

I'm sorry, what exactly are you saying/answering?

AVFD-FF
I have 5 kids and am pregnant with #6. The first 2 I was not in good control *at all*. I can't remember back that far, but I think I was on NPH and R, but I'd have to find my records and look. I was a teen at the time I had my first two, and as everyone knows, teens like to rebel against anything. Diabetes control was not high on my list. I think I'm a lucky one though, since I went past term with my first and he was only 7#2oz. My second was early due to PROM, she was 34 weeks and 5#15oz.

The last three were unremarkable, since I was in control with all of them... they were normal weights for their gestational ages.

So, get yourself in control and everything should be just fine!

I'm sorry, what exactly are you saying/answering?

Did you realize what caused you to get pregnant? :)

Congratulations!

My wife never had any problems we worried because almost everyone in her family has it. We lucked out and did not have any problems.

But a fellow firefighter's wife has had it with both their girls each have had no problems.

So don't worry too much I think you will be alright!

Moe and Lucy

Keezheekoni

Oh, gosh, no I never knew what caused me to get pregnant. Maybe you should come camp out in my room and show me what I'm doing wrong??? Sheesh.

Why is it that people think if you have more than the "norm" of 2.3 kids that you're doing something wrong? Maybe people like me and my dh love children and know that we can support them, and that hopefully we're raising them to be wonderful additions to society?!?

My wife never had any problems we worried because almost everyone in her family has it. We lucked out and did not have any problems.

But a fellow firefighter's wife has had it with both their girls each have had no problems.

Moe and Lucy

Are you talking to me or to the OP? If you're talking to me, I don't worry about my kids having/getting diabetes. I'm the only T1 in my famiily, but my dad's side of the family does have a Hx of T2.

foxl

Rikki,

WHAT is the source of your quote ... "Every time you Can Has, God kills a LOLcat."

As a LOLcat fan ... a curiosity HAZ meh!

vicky32

I just found out I am 3-4 weeks pregnant and my most recent A1C was a 7.8, before that a 7.3, i recently just got back into trying to get my blood sugar controlled! In 2006, I miscarried and didn't even no I was pregnant until it was too late. With an A1C of almost 12. I am currently using Lantus and reg. novolog, I really want to make this work. Any suggestions?

AVFD-FF
Oh, gosh, no I never knew what caused me to get pregnant. Maybe you should come camp out in my room and show me what I'm doing wrong??? Sheesh.

Why is it that people think if you have more than the "norm" of 2.3 kids that you're doing something wrong? Maybe people like me and my dh love children and know that we can support them, and that hopefully we're raising them to be wonderful additions to society?!?

Are you talking to me or to the OP? If you're talking to me, I don't worry about my kids having/getting diabetes. I'm the only T1 in my famiily, but my dad's side of the family does have a Hx of T2.

I was only playing around, trying to keep it a little lite for her :confused: , it can be a scary thing to have something hit you out of the blue. I guess it came out wrong, nothing was meant by it. :(

We were prepared for her to get it with Joshua but she keep her diet under control and cut out caffeine (which almost lead to my death several times) :o I was trying to get across to her it should be fine nothing more than that. Eat right, exercise and follow the Doc's orders she should OK.

genie86333

I had GD with my 2nd child. Due to lots of issues I didn't get medical care until I was 6 months pregnant with her & even after diagnosing it, they didn't put me on insulin or even tell me to eat a special diet. She was over 11 pounds when she was born, but except for a few scary moments when the cord was cut (because her blood sugar suddenly dropped to normal) she was perfectly fine. She's now 15.

Remixen

First trimester HbA1c was significantly lower in the planned pregnancies than in the unplanned ones (6.4% (SD 0.9%) v 7.0% (1.4%); P < 0.001). The incidence of major congenital malformations was significantly lower in the planned pregnancies (4.2% (n = 11) v 12.2% (6); relative risk 0.34, 0.13 to 0.88); other outcomes did not differ.

Malloryjones

Hi ,

My pregnancy was totally unplanned and I was in denial because I just thought that I was a few days late and a little stressed due to nursing school. I went into DKA(blood sugar was 628) around 4 weeks pregnant(didn't know I was pregnant) and I got my sugars down at home and went to work the next morning and got talked into taking a pregnancy test which turned out positive. I hadn't been taking care of myself like I should have been and I rarely checked my sugars. I was just in diabetic denial because it was something that I just got sick and tired of dealing with;however, I believe this pregnancy happened for a reason and the reason being was to make me take care of myself. I had an ultrasound around 5 weeks and continued having them at every doctors visit. I didn't even have my HbA1c checked until I was about 4 months along and it was 5.7. But just to fill you in...as soon as I found out I was pregnant I began taking care of myself like I knew I should have been for the last 10 years. I had a detailed ultrasound done at 28 weeks and another yesterday and everything was completely normal and I felt so blessed because I knew that the first trimester is the most important time for fetal development and I was so worried that there would be problems because I hadnt been taking care of myself prior to concieving. All of the organs are forming the first 3 months and this is when things can go wrong and you wind up with certain types of birth defects. There are a wide range of defects that can be caused by maternal diabetes. Congenital heart anomalies are one of the major types of birth defects. I am now 30 weeks pregnant and everything has been going well. There are going to be times your sugars will shoot up and they will drop down because if they didn't YOU wouldn't have diabetes :) ! Dont get discouraged because I had to pep myself up many times because I would fret over one blood sugar reading. Try to do the best you can and you know your own body better than ANY doctor. Keep your head up and do your best with managing your diabetes. It is hard to do sometimes and I have cheated many a times and I still hope that everything goes well. I don't have much longer to go and I will be getting induced between 36-38 weeks. If you have any questions feel free to email me !

nikole.957
Hidden

Congratulations!

Moe and Lucy

Ps3 downloads

Ps3 download

Goodette

Hello my lovely fellow diabetics. I have been miserable every time I thought or saw a baby as I'm diabetic and i didnt think itd be possible for me to have one. I had only every read either 'horror diabetic-birth-defect stories' OR the 'targetA1C-perfect-plannedandpumped-14week-folic-acid-taker stories' and they both involved being on a pump (which i cannot have due to my body literally rejecting it from when i was hooked up too long as a teen). Not that I don't think the latter scenario isnt ideal; its just im so so scared of getting pregnant as the advice makes the targets seem undoable and sites make it sound like if you have one high blood sugar that you'll ruin your unborn child's health forever!!! but wow. I found this thread and read your stories and have not stopped crying (literally) with happiness that it is possible and not always true that slightly abnormal blood sugars will harm the baby. You've given me so much hope i cannot express my gratitude to you and God enough :) :) :)

hba1c 51 mmol

lantus 21u

humalog 16units (ish)

bmi 18

(copying you guys with the info above)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.