Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mooncat

Potato oddness.....

mooncat

Very strange. For unknown reasons, my sugars have been just slightly higher this week than they have been - like 10-20 points higher, in the 120s and 130s. Today at lunch, I had little choice at my work cafeteria, so I got beef brisket (no problem) and boiled red potatoes. I was aware of the potential for badness with the potatoes, but tried to eat only a reasonable portion - but am also sure it was more than half a cup :) When I got back to my desk after lunch I also ate a low carb (10-12 grams) snack bar. I tested 2 hours later, and my sugar was 97! I thought this was really freaky (if welcome), considering what I'd eaten and the fact that my sugars have been slightly higher than normal all week. Any thoughts?

Evermont

I've noted here many times that potato varieties and cooking methods can produce varying results. Generally, smaller waxy varieties which are not overcooked have less effect on BG. It may also matter what you eat along with the potatoes.

There are other possible explanations too. :D

mooncat

I wish my sugars would stay that way with rice, which I really miss. But hey, if I can eat the occasional potato without a big spike, then yay! I had read that the small red potatoes were some of the "least bad" for glycemic load.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.