Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scratch

A shoulder that was once frozen

Scratch

Back in 2003 I began having trouble with my right shoulder, moving it rapidly in some directions could cause intense pain. That was the beginning of a frozen shoulder in my right one, much of 2004 was just a lot of relentless ache and pain in it. I couldn't reach in my back pocket, any sudden jolt of the shoulder could drop to my knees crying with pain.

It started getting better at the end of 2004 and then in August 2005 I found I could swing a golf club. That began my efforts to be in better shape.

In January 2007, I had my left leg put in cast because I had fractured the distal tibia. I had put in a chin up bar and began working on chin ups and pull ups. When I heard of the idea of being able to do a chin up with only one arm pulling, I set that as a goal.

I am getting very close to that. I can now pull upward for a partial range of motion, I just to need to finish off the top and work the range of motion down to the bottom as well.

Diabetes can suck bad. The frozen shoulder was horrible. But these last two years I've worked hard at saying diabetes won't stop me. Now this week I have deadlifted 300 lbs for the first time and now I'm getting real close to a full one arm chin up.

Here's a youtube link showing what a guy who for one year couldn't lift his right arm above his shoulder can now do --

Scratch

Yeah, it is a bit of showing off but I've worked hard for it. I've done a lot of chin ups and pull ups on that bar, my best weighted chin up which happened on Tuesday this week was with 95 lbs on my back.

Gordonm

I had the same experience. For 2 years I could hardly reach over my head. I started to work out more in my upper body and slowly it came around. I have probably about 95% or better use of my shoulder now. There where a lot of times it brough tears to my eyes the pain was so bad. Hopefully it will not come back.

Mich

Congratulations, Scratch!

Those of us who've had frozen shoulders can really appreciate your accomplishment. (Ouch!)

Most people just give up, but it's a little known fact that people can self-rehab a frozen shoulder if they catch it early enough.

I did the wimpy version--standing in a hot shower, walking my fingers up the shower wall higher and higher each time, stretching with a big rubber band on the door knob...that sort of thing. And for weights? I used cans of food. Anything to keep the shoulder from freezing again.

BUT--it sure did't look as dramatic as your rehab!

Good for you for sticking with it.

Mich

Coppernob
Showoff!!:D

All kidding aside, that looked pretty good to me - well done! :top:

Yeah, it is a bit of showing off but I've worked hard for it. I've done a lot of chin ups and pull ups on that bar, my best weighted chin up which happened on Tuesday this week was with 95 lbs on my back.

Sorry Scratch I didn't mean that I really thought you're a show off, I was just kidding. I think it is absolutely fantastic that you were able to come back from a frozen shoulder and achieve that strength and ability. I am also jealous! My son used to have a bar across the doorway to his room and I could hardly get myself off the ground with two arms. So I promise you I am seriously impressed. Well done!

Scratch

Oh I wasn't offended at all and I'm perfectly willing to admit that along with the message that this condition might put a beatdown on us and we can come back from those beatdowns like a frozen shoulder, that along with that message I am just showing off some. :)

Coppernob

You are allowed to show off with that type of achievement and you must feel so good at having overcome what I know to be a very painful condition. I needed lots of physical therapy and patience (I don't have a lot of that sometimes) to get through mine. I had a cortisone shot but all that really did was push up my blood sugars.

I am really glad you weren't offended, Scratch! :)

orpy

Great! Believe me, I had frozen shoulder a few years ago and it was excruciating. I would forget for a second and reach into my back pocket and it was such amazing pain that tears came to my eyes. I have since recovered but do not have the same range of motion with that arm (very hard to scratch my own back). But, probably if I was lifting weights, I would improve...good job!

Wolf

I had the frozen shoulder thing (along with the excrutiating pain with sudden movements) a few years ago before I was diagnosed with diabetes. When I went to the doctor there was no talk about it maybe being related to diabetes.

I went to physical therapy for a couple of months and that didn't make it improve so they wanted me to get surgery! Just as I was going to make plans to go under the knife, it started to get a little better. I told the doctor that I wanted to hold off a little and see if it improves. It gradually got better and completely healed and then after a year I got the same problem with the other shoulder. (which also healed on its own) My doctor never did make the connection and I found out I was diabetic resulting from a routine physical.

Scratch, you mentioned a fractured distal tibia. I also had a problem with my tibia and couldn't run for over a year. Could this be diabetes-related? I mean, it's kinda coincidental that we both had the frozen shoulder AND tibia problems.

Scratch
I had the frozen shoulder thing (along with the excrutiating pain with sudden movements) a few years ago before I was diagnosed with diabetes. When I went to the doctor there was no talk about it maybe being related to diabetes.

I went to physical therapy for a couple of months and that didn't make it improve so they wanted me to get surgery! Just as I was going to make plans to go under the knife, it started to get a little better. I told the doctor that I wanted to hold off a little and see if it improves. It gradually got better and completely healed and then after a year I got the same problem with the other shoulder. (which also healed on its own) My doctor never did make the connection and I found out I was diabetic resulting from a routine physical.

Scratch, you mentioned a fractured distal tibia. I also had a problem with my tibia and couldn't run for over a year. Could this be diabetes-related? I mean, it's kinda coincidental that we both had the frozen shoulder AND tibia problems.

Well it's coincidental sort of, but I wouldn't start thinking that one would cause the other, just that they are both potential issues for diabetics. Diabetics are at greater risk for frozen shoulder and diabetics can also be at greater risk for reduced bone density increasing the chances of a bone fracture.

I also had a history of smoking for 13 years and that didn't help the bone density either.

It's interesting that the doctor didn't think to screen you for diabetes when you got your first frozen shoulder. Man, though, I feel for you on getting it in the other shoulder. Just going through it with the right one felt like a lifetime almost.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.